Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a past customer that is buying a new home (new to them - the house was built in 1975 then remodeled in 80 and 97) (inspection was today). I went to the building department to see if I could get plans for the house and they indeed had them.

While reviewing the plans, I noticed (in the foundation plans) that there are 4 separate crawlspaces. Only one of those spaces has access :eek: There is almost 1500 SF of crawler that you can’t get to.

I’ll look it up, but I always thought you had to provide access to the entire crawlspace. Anyone know something I don’t?

Paul

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you sure they are not connected?
The plans say no. To actually verify it, I would need to get into the crawlspace to see if they cut in access. I’d do that but… There might be spiders in there :eek: Maybe I’ll hire someone for a day :whistling

If I can get access to the house again, I’ll check to see if they connect. Just wasn’t possible today :thumbsup:

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You have to have access to all here.
But that doesn't help you
I’m pretty sure we need them also. I think, if I had submitted plans with no access (crawler or attic), they would have busted my balls. I need to check what code was in effect at that time and verify the code and paragraph.

The house has hot water heat (boiler in the basement) – I don’t know how they could have made their runs without access (from above maybe?).

·
Eater of sins.
4,576 Posts
Having access to all parts of crawl space has been code mandated since, well, I think since the beginning of time.

It was even in the code of Hammurabi:

"Thou shalt provide for the ability of any designated peasant/plumber or pig-dropping collector, to access under dwelling space to allow for the proper performance of their duty. The penalty for non compliance shall be a fine of 500 Sheckels to the builder or castration."

It's in the book, look it up.

Andy.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
Even if it is code, the inspector rarely checks.

I've been in houses that have had multiple crawl spaces and it was almost like being in an Indiana Jones movie with various levels and unexpected booby traps.

They were all accessible but I doubt that an inspector would ever be willing to crawl on his belly 300 feet into the crawl space while turning corners.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I was thinking closet trap doors also. Took me about 15 minutes to find one, once. There was carpet over the top. The cut was so close it was hard to spot.

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
Like Andy said,access to crawl spaces been in the code since I can remember.
If crawl spaces are not connected, there could be access hatch from above located in one of the rooms, closets or under the rug. I've seen this in a few older homes.
I also did a garage conversions and we provided access from the top, keeping the access in one of the closets, or people just cover up with a runner or area rug.

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Having access to all parts of crawl space has been code mandated since, well, I think since the beginning of time.

It was even in the code of Hammurabi:

"Thou shalt provide for the ability of any designated peasant/plumber or pig-dropping collector, to access under dwelling space to allow for the proper performance of their duty. The penalty for non compliance shall be a fine of 500 Sheckels to the builder or castration."

It's in the book, look it up.

Andy.
Thanks Andy. I’ll need to verify UBC 1750 BC :laughing:

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
tuesday i went to help a buddy (i'm his crawlspace sub) to repair burst pipes. The effing house was on the damned ground, & the previous guy somehow still plumbed it through the floor joists.

hate those houses....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts