Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the minimum amount of HP and PSI I should look for in a new power washer? I am a painting contractor so it would be mainly used for cleaning off old paint from the exteriors of houses (brick, cedar, etc.) and decks and so on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
While I am by far a expert on pressure washing. i do have a neighbor that has been in the feild for years. He has always told me that a hight PSI is good but the higher the GPM is the better it cleans.

He only does it part time now for 1 painter (he has a cushy big money job now lol).

I think 6 GPM plus is where you want to be to work more effeciently(spelling?). I know alot of wahsers at lowes and the "depot" are around 4 gpm. They will work they will just take you a little bit longer to get it done...

Like I said I am no expert in this area.. just passing along what I have been told.

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
J.W. Reid said:
I think 6 GPM plus is where you want to be to work more effeciently(spelling?). I know alot of wahsers at lowes and the "depot" are around 4 gpm. They will work they will just take you a little bit longer to get it done...

The highest that HD carries is 3700 PSI, 13 HP and pushes 4 GPM. They want $1000 for it...

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Humble Abode said:
The highest that HD carries is 3700 PSI, 13 HP and pushes 4 GPM. They want $1000 for it...
This thread pressure washing thread has some really good information about machines and techniques.

I have one of these. The only downside is that I can't lift it into my truck alone.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I use a 6.5 gallon per minute gas Hydro-tech with a diesel burner. I wish I would have bought an 8 or 10 gpm diesel engine and burner due to the much faster results and reliability.

Stay away from Hydro-tech brand power washers…there are to many bells and whistles that will break down and are “dealer only items” My dealer charges $70 per hour and pretty much has to disassemble the whole unit to get to anything.

I will also stay away from CAT pumps. Years ago I let the first one freeze thinking winter was over, that was a $1,500 mistake!

The second time that I had my head up my ass was when I sat down the gun with the machine running to speak with a customer and the second pump overheated and busted in about 8 minutes. I rebuilt that one but it was still over $450 for parts.

Most of the guys I know have switched to General pumps and always with belt driven units.

Best of luck

Jesse R. Kirchhoff
Advanced Power Washing and Restoration Services LLC
www.advancedpw.com

Kirchhoff Handyman Solutions LLC
“Making Your Life A Lot Less Complicated”
www.midmohandyman.com

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pipe,
That thread is awesome... I probably should have just done a search before posting... Thanks!

Thanks also for the advice and warning Jesse. I'll stay away from Hydro-Tech.

Would it be improper if I asked what you guys paid for your washers? Anytime I mention picking up a peice of equiptment for the business to my partner and it costs over $1000 he nearly has a heart attack. I then have to put on my salesmen hat (the one I use with customers) to try to convince him why it will benifit us in the long run.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Primarily, pressure washing earthmoving equipment at the jobsite.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Humble Abode said:
Would it be improper if I asked what you guys paid for your washers? Anytime I mention picking up a peice of equiptment for the business to my partner and it costs over $1000 he nearly has a heart attack. I then have to put on my salesmen hat (the one I use with customers) to try to convince him why it will benifit us in the long run.
The unit was around $8,000 but I have another $4,000 wraped up in hoses, reels,accessories, extra parts ect... (this thing payed for itself in the first year)

·
Registered
960 Posts
Humble Abode said:
What is the minimum amount of HP and PSI I should look for in a new power washer? I am a painting contractor so it would be mainly used for cleaning off old paint from the exteriors of houses (brick, cedar, etc.) and decks and so on.
Here is all the information you could ever want about pressure washers and pressure washing. :Thumbs: www.envirospec.com/techlib

Sorry I didn’t post this link before, I forgot I had it.

Best of Luck,

Advanced Power Washing and Restoration Solutions LLC
Professional Products ~ Professional Service ~ Professional Results
www.advancedpw.com

Kirchhoff Handyman Solutions LLC
“Making Your Life A Lot Less Complicated”
www.midmohandyman.com

1 - 10 of 10 Posts