Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be replacing a 6-0x8-0 entry system with a new clad unit and have looked at the offerings from Pella Designer and Pro Line series, Anderson Frenchwood and Architectural lines and Marvin Ultimate. All appear to be quality products. Anyone have an opinion on which one they prefer (or dont) or problems you have had with any of the above.

Thanks in advance

·
Always Learning
8,722 Posts
I love Andersen Frenchwoods and their newer line the A-series. The A series are a fiberglass exterior. They are a solid door and I haven't had any issues with them. We have a great dealer too which is important.

I have never been a Pella fan..they just seem cheap. Marvins are real nice...but real expensive.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK....Got my pricing back today. I was kind of surprised at the spread. Pretty much all apples to apples specs.

This is for a 6-0 x 8-0 Double inswing French, with both doors opening from the center (one passive, one active) 6-9/16 jambs, white exterior, unfinished pine interior, multipoint locking system with bright brass hardware, no screens.

Pella Proline $2645
Pella Archetectural $2859
Marvin Ultimate $3591
Anderson 400 $3563
Anderson A Series $3928

The only real difference is that the Pella and Marvin have astragal mortised head and foot bolts on the passive door, and the Andersons both have handle activated bolts on the passive doors.

·
Always Learning
8,722 Posts
I am surprised at the Marvin number. Skip the Pella and do the Marvin or the 400 series. Both are great doors. The locking mechanism on the Andersen is rock solid.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got three prices on the Marvin's and they all beat the Anderson A series pricing. The best Anderson pricing came from (God forbid) Home Depot.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BTW...a close exam of the Pella's didn't show as much of a difference as I would have expected from the price difference..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I actually priced the Anderson 200 series in the same door. I was surprised that there was almost no difference between it and the 400 series pricing. Yrmv

1 - 8 of 8 Posts