Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Banned
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love all these sales threads. some great info.
question for you pro's. when on a sales call and you want to close but they say they have a few other companies stopping by how do most of you respond to that? specifically when a guy from another company is set to come by 2 hours after you leave? its hard to have the homeowner cancell when the guy is on his way..what a great way to leave off? some opinions would be greatly appreciated.

·
solar guy
1,917 Posts
That's a tough one
If they are not willing to move forward right then and there you have not sufficiently prepared them to close. You either have not built enough value or there is an objection you didn't uncover.
Try asking very open ended questions about your presentation.
Well Mr and Mrs Jones how do you feel about the solutions I presented.
How do you feel about our companies ability to perform the work
How do you feel about the price.
99% of the time it will be the price that's the objection.
Now is the time to address those questions
Alwaqys be prepared with alternatives to the original proposal ( delete something not throw something in)

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
That's a tough one
If they are not willing to move forward right then and there you have not sufficiently prepared them to close. You either have not built enough value or there is an objection you didn't uncover.
Try asking very open ended questions about your presentation.
Well Mr and Mrs Jones how do you feel about the solutions I presented.
How do you feel about our companies ability to perform the work
How do you feel about the price.
99% of the time it will be the price that's the objection.
Now is the time to address those questions
Alwaqys be prepared with alternatives to the original proposal ( delete something not throw something in)

Negative. Never ask an open ended question in the close. Always ask close ended questions. IE

Are you comfortable with my companies ability to provide the service you desire?
Or better yet...

I kind of got the feeling that you loved my product yes?
This is something you'll defineltly be doing in the near future?
When that time comes are we the type of company and is this the type product your were hoping for? Then the only thing that stopped (note: the past tense "stopped") us from getting together tonight was the money, right?

Then you simply close on money. Money is almost ALWAYS the reason customers walk.

·
solar guy
1,917 Posts
Buddy
Correct but these were questions that were asked after the close.
My assumption was they had already balked at being closed.
I always test close throughout the pitch.
Mrs jones we're going to replace the whatever in the bathroom for reasons xyz Does that make sense to you?
I get them agreeing all throughout the pitch.
To quote a remodeling sales guru
"the close should be a non event"
I am looking for affirmation of the close long before I go for it.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Cr,
I see your point but..............
I would go right beck into the close at that point. Once I've closed or failed to close, I leave the questions close ended. I don't want to give them an out. The only thing I want them thinking about is the money at this point.

Now if in the body of the demo I haven't gained their trust none of this works.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I get them agreeing all throughout the pitch.
To quote a remodeling sales guru
"the close should be a non event"
I am looking for affirmation of the close long before I go for it.
I totally agree with this. The best close is a masterful demo. The close is the simply the natural progression of that demo

·
solar guy
1,917 Posts
My questions are designed to flush out the objection.
Once this is flushed out Yes go right back into the pitch and over come it.
During this phase i agree you want to ask questions designed to get a yes answer.
By the way I always assume the close.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
My questions are designed to flush out the objection.
Once this is flushed out Yes go right back into the pitch and over come it.
During this phase i agree you want to ask questions designed to get a yes answer.
By the way I always assume the close.
Me too :clap::notworthy

·
solar guy
1,917 Posts
Back to the original question.
Are there really others coming?
During the warm up did you ask if they were getting multiple bids ( answer is always yes)
Did you ask where you were in the batting order. before you got there.
It is rare that the first guy gets the job. My close rate jumps to the stratosphere when i am the last one in.
I will try my hardest to postpone a lead to be the last one in. If I know I'm last that takes tho other bidders are coming off the table. Now it's time to s&*t or get off the pot. When it comes to where they are at the end
I love yes
I like no
I can't stand maybe

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
How did you find this spring? We found people getting 6+ estimates. Most of them bought from someone, so they were serious buyers but they were really shopping price and price only. It loosened up as the year went on

·
Banned
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
as usual,great info..my question though..how do you handle a person that says they have 2 more scheduled estimates and one directly after yours..i actually saw the competitor pulling up as i was leaving so the customer was'nt BSing me.. when they say they have scheduled 2 more appointments already and one directly after me,its unrealistic for me to have them cancel.what is a good response to that type of situation?

·
solar guy
1,917 Posts
Re read post#9
If you had done your homework and prepared you may not be in this situation
there is really no answer I can have for this other than to ask for their business. At this point it is a long shot a veeeerrry long shot but worth the effort.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
If I'm in a home and I've done a good fact find I should know, in the first ten minutes if they are getting other estimates the same day. If I do find this out, I try to beg off the appointment and reset them right then and there. Then I give them just a little taste of who I am and what I do. Just enough to peak their interest.

As soon as I get back to the office I confirm the new appointment with an email along with a list of 100+ references. It's about a 50-50 shot at that point. If I can get back in and do a good demo I'll sell it 45% of the time

·
Lack Of All Trades
1,232 Posts
question for you pro's. when on a sales call and you want to close but they say they have a few other companies stopping by how do most of you respond to that? specifically when a guy from another company is set to come by 2 hours after you leave? its hard to have the homeowner cancell when the guy is on his way..what a great way to leave off? some opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Wait in your truck til the guy shows up. Then tell the guy to get off my property. then knock on the door again and tell the H/O that the guy left in a hurry. "Can we talk about your project a little more?":cheesygri

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Wait in your truck til the guy shows up. Then tell the guy to get off my property. then knock on the door again and tell the H/O that the guy left in a hurry. "Can we talk about your project a little more?":cheesygri
I like your idea!:clap:

·
4,617 Posts
I try to avoid pressure of any sort on a sales call. One time I will make an exception is when I find myself in this position. I let my clients know that I'm willing to do whatever is reasonable to be their contractor of choice and to do this project for them. If I know they will be getting more bids, I let them know that I will call them in the morning to find out how things went and to schedule another visit.

This does two things for me. It instills my interest in their project and reinforces in their mind my commitment to them. It also gives them notice that I will not be blown off.

I point out that I'm a business person. Not an entrepreneur. I'm less interested in getting rich than I am in being in business for the long run and having happy clients that love my work.

I let my clients know that I'm interested in them spending their money to get their ideas built/realized properly, safely and reasonably. Notice that cheaply never entered the discussion. When money is the issue, then you didn't qualify them to begin with. You did not give them a presentation that matched their budget. You must do your homework and get them to be honest with you about their expectations and budget.

I spend enough time in the first few minutes of the first meeting to know three things, beyond any doubt, before I move on. Budget, expectations and schedule.

If I can't meet all three of these criteria, I walk. That they will meet with other contractors is a non-issue to me. It just gives them a chance to compare and contrast what I do to what others pull.

Say it. Mean it. Do it. I run my business by this mantra. If you can't say it out loud, then its only an idea, nothing more. If you don't mean it, its a joke. If you don't do it, then you've lost an opportunity to make money.

Good luck.

·
Banned
2,247 Posts
Ignore what the customer tells you and.....

make believe you did not hear about the next estimate.

Rewind your presentation and do a quick recap of the services and benefits. Do a quick recap on your price. This is what you say:

"Let me go over this very quickly. The price for your deck is $10,500. You can see the figures here in our price book. Every one of our prices are even posted on our web site and we advertise these prices because they are low. In fact, every other deck builder can see our prices and we don't care because very few, if any, deck builders can compete with our prices. Since you are doing this much work and we are already here this saves us some money, so I discounted my book price, gave you a $700 discount, and discounted your deck to $9800, and you are going to get the best job that money can buy.

There are only three important things about a job and the most important is the way the work is done. It doesn't matter what you pay for a job. If the job is not done right you wasted your money. You can see here in my estimate that we have given you the very best that money can buy. You even have a lifetime guarantee and you can't get a better job that this. So, you are getting the very best job.

The second most thing is the price. You can see here the price in our book is $10,500 and I gave you a $700 discount, so you are getting both the best job and the best price.

The third most important thing is who does the job. We have been in business for 36 years......, in the same location, the same owner, and we have absolutely no complaints with the BBB nor the license board, so you are getting the best company, the best job, and the best price. Can't get better than the best of the best."

Many customers will cancel their next estimate when they feel you can deliver beyond their expectation.

But, suppose the customer still won't budge and he tells you he is still going to get another estimate. Now, it depends on how bad you want the job. So, you tell the customer you want the job. You speak with conviction that you are the man for the job. You tell the customer not to make a decision until after you sharpen your pencil and submit proposal.

"I really feel that my company can provide you with the best job and the best value for your dollar. We are experienced, we are neat, we will work through to the finish of this job without virtually taking a break. I am very confident and, of course, I want to do this job for you, so, I am going back to my office to sharpen my pencil and type this contract to present a more accurate and informed bid. Even if the next bid is one-half the price I quoted, I would appreciate your holding off making a decision until after you review my complete offer."

There are many times a customer chooses the bidder with the highest price because all the prices he received were close. If every contractor bid close and the work was about the same then why would the customer go back to the first bidder. You can keep the customer suspended in the air and be the last bidder when you tell the customer the last statement. Also, as the last bidder the customer will open up with you and argue about the price because the customer knows what he did not know when you was an early bidder. An argument about price is great because this opens the door for negotiating.

Suppose you get all the way to the final step. The customer is finished getting bids and he allows you to present your bid a second time and another contractor is going to do the job for $5,000. Don't tuck your tail and run away. You need to get the customer to want to let you see the other contractor's bid, but you can't straight out ask to see the bid because customers hesitate to allow contractors to compare. The customers think this is breaking some mysterious code of ethics. You need to make the customer think he is doing you a favor, so you use a little psychology.

"Wow! $5,000? I really must have made a mistake! Since I spent all this time writing out my did and doing my calculations, you wouln't mind if we could sit down TO SEE WHERE I MADE MY MISTAKE? Since you already have all your bids you wouldn't mind if I see the bid to see if I can learn why I made a mistake?

When you get to sit with the customer you read the other bids and you tear the other contractors apart one piece at a time. You read the other contractor's bid. Don't start bad-mouthing the other contractors until you read each bid very thoroughly. Then, explain every item in detail. You discuss the quality and especially items not included. You can talk compare the number of years in business, BBB complaints, license complaints, and other information that is true and you have the legal right to divulge. This must be done tactfully and with good taste. Then, you start your entire presentation over like you never spoke one word to this customer in your entire life. You do this from the beginning to the end and you may be surprised to find a customer will pay you twice as much because you have values, belief, speak with conviction, and you bestow this to your customer.

Only you know how valuable this job is to you. When business is hot I would not spend more than 5 hours to get a $10,000 job because I will lose jobs where the customers are not getting more bids. If I have absolutely no business, for an entire day, I will spend my entire day working to get this job. I will even spend a 2nd day, trying to get this job.
If you don't have any business, not working one or two days to get this job is taking money away from your business, or from your family that could be used to pay bills, or it could be used for growth of your business.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I Have to say I didnt read this whole thread but I can tell you after 10 years in sales its called the let out. When you are done with your presentation and they are not ready to commit then neither should you. You just say I am going to be in $00000 this ballpark, when you are ready to do something give me a call and I will give you my best price.
They will then say well we want your best price now, to which you say. Where do I need to be for you to close this deal tonight. (Stop Talking).
Most people talk them selves out of the deal,
If they are serious they ahve an idea of where they want to be and they may lowball you but at least you know now where there head is at and you can start the game. Its like tennis you have to get them to start hitting the ball back and forth. They start low and then its up to you to build value in your company starting off with I am licensed and insured and then going into referrals and experience. Thats why you cost more, because you are worth it, and never think any different they will buy from you if you are confident in what you are saying. and you believe in you.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts