Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In ground bathtub poured concrete.... have you done this and can you help?

Yes I would like some help on installing a poured concrete tub, please no stupid comments or reply's leave that for the playground, thanks.

I would like to know how to do this, I am a contractor this is for my house and I don't need to know about digging a hole or if it will drain. I've looked on the net no info that is really in depth.

What I need to know is how thick the walls should be, can I use ready mix, should I use epoxy re-bar, how should i insulate the tub, and is there a 2" ID tub drain available?
Would it be best if i sealed the ground with Blue skin then poured the tub?
If I were to use a roll on Acrylic emulsion or another rubber coating for the inside of the tub would it provide a barrier for heat transfer to the cement, lets face it its a bath not a hot tub so I'm not worried about loss over a long period as if I were to be keeping it hot indefinitely.
Would it be best to use foam insulation on the ground before I pour?
Also I am heating my floor with heating cable could I use this in the tub also? I know its electric though your floor gets wet and if you were standing there same result if there were a problem, that's also why theirs a GFI installed.

My tub will be a 5' corner in ground, 2' deep with a step down and a seat, the sides of the tub will extend 6" above the floor.
The ground is solid clay so I'm thinking this is an amazing base to put a tub in, now I know why my 110 year old home has never shifted.

I would appreciate any useful information on this as I would like to get going asap!!

Thanks Drake

·
Registered
667 Posts
Not sure of what you need, a intro would help out! Now, I will be the first to reply to you. You don't want any child-like replies so ok! But if you are a plumber, why are you asking about a 2" DRAIN? you asked?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
In ground bath tub

I'm looking for a larger drain for the tub, usually there 1-1/4 id drain with a pop up plug or the like.
This is going to be a large tub taking a lot of water when we bathe and will need a larger drain then usual to keep draining quick so it can be rinsed by the time were dry.
Surprisiingly there are not a lot well so far any drains of this size that have a plug option such as a regular tub.
I have considered installing 2 regular pop ups though that would be a plain in the ass. Also I would like to have full 2" Flow.
The bath tub will have 3 spray heads and a water fall as the main fill, 3/4 inch hot and cold with a tankless heater for the washroom.

If there is a larger drain out there I haven't found it yet, I have suppliers looking though no luck.
Drains are used in a lot of differing places, have to keep asking.

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
Yes I would like some help on installing a poured concrete tub, please no stupid comments or reply's leave that for the playground, thanks.

polls_playground_bully_5031_28611_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

That's no fun! :laughing:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
In ground bath tub

Thanks Bob that looks helpful, still dosent answer all my questions though gives me some great help.

And the heating guys haven't gotten back, think they want to keep out of it. though if its in a wet floor why not a tub?
likely they'll say no.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Re: Drain, How about 2 or 3 regular pop ups?? Or just plumb a valve on the 2 or 3 inch drain pipe-----

El cheapo, just use a rubber cap or plug on a chain?
A 3 or 4 inch thick tub will soak lots of heat, consider adding lightweight aggregates to lower the heat loss/soak or a setting a fiberglass tub on a layer of stiff foam inside the concrete tub form...

/

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
The comfort range for a tub is pretty narrow - if you pour a tub full of water and it's a little cool you either need to heat up that water or add more hot water. A big tub means lots and lots of hot water, even if you're very well insulated from the ground. And never mind the drain time - unless you have some ultra-mongo tankless heater it's going to take you a long time to fill that tub. Tankless heaters are great, but you need a very good one if you want high flow and very hot water; check out the specs for the heater you're considering - it will include GPM or LPM for a number of different temperature increases. A good pump and in-line heater might make good sense - they affect the cost, of course.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hot water is no issue I've a Rinnai with a 3/4 line just for the washroom. I like the idea of the inline heater and pump should be easy to add.
Though I've had an in ground tub at the last place and it held the heat fine while we were in there. I just need someone who knows how to build one properly.
I like your ideas though Bob.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In ground bath tub

Some are less professional than others and some just hate being lectured by a newbee. Have a nice day!
Its good to see such professionalism.
I would think such a professional As DaVinci Remodel would have much know how and information to be shared, this is why this forum is here is it not?
Shame the best you can do is act elitist, must be great for business.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
I would think such a professional As DaVinci Remodel would have much know how and information to be shared, this is why this forum is here is it not?
:blink:

You sure know how to make friends.:no:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Drake33t said:
Its good to see such professionalism. I would think such a professional As DaVinci Remodel would have much know how and information to be shared, this is why this forum is here is it not? Shame the best you can do is act elitist, must be great for business.
I think you mistook this for the DIY forum. And why are you asking us about the drain if you're a plumber?

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
Respect is earned not deserved, or in your case, demanded. Get over your self, come down off your pedestal and have a chat. But my guess is you came here for one question, no real desire to contribute, and will be gone once your project is over.

So put up or shut up.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
3rd thought, Buy a Spa tub, and set it your 1" bigger concrete cavity, enjoy the $$ savings reliability and convenice the much easier to heat plastic spa gives you, no waiting for the tub to fill, self cleaning(mostly)

You could even remove the shell of the spa and pour it in place if you're tied to the idea of a concrete tub(don't forget to fill it with enough weight so it doesn't float up during the "pour").

1 - 20 of 24 Posts