Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to the Biz and im planning on hiring paint sub-contractors. I am
looking to see if anybody has calculations for average/industry standard for time(minutes) per Sq ft for painting walls, trim, ceilings, and light sanding. I know there's no exact number but even a ballpark number will help.

Also, I know some painters like to charge by Sq Ft of floor space, but I found that method doesn't take into consideration the numbers of walls in that space, which can change drastically.
Example: A one room area 20x20 with 8' walls will have 400 sq ft of floor and 640 sq ft of walls, while a 4 room area with 10x10 flooring per room will still = 400 sq ft total but will have a combined total of 1280 sq ft of walls. So I don't really see how charging per sq ft of floor can be a good idea.

any advice would be appreciated. thanks

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
Answer to first question. It depends. Is it on a ladder, on the ground, outside, on a lift, owner possessions, wide open square walls or all cut up and no particular surface is more than 10 or twelve square feet, what kind of coating, what kind of required quality (will it be inspected for stipple direction, size, sheen regularity, mil thickness?), Is it highly porous like a pebble stucco or is it untextured sheet rock, ambient conditions like temperature and humidity? Etc Etc....

Question #2 Bidding by floor square footage is a gc trick for painters who are bad at math and has been covered on the site extensively.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Only a moron would estimate on square footage alone, too many factors involved. I'd be leery of anyone painting by the sq. ft., they may be nothing more than apartment painters.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the comments. we are new company so we are going to start of doing mostly condos/apartments along with basic interior house work. im looking for timings to act as a baseline number that we could adjust depending on the difficulty's you addressed. the baseline could be the general time to roll a basic interior condo/apartment walls that are 8-10ft high with a premium eggshell in average indoor temps and humidity for the northeast.

any further development on this you could give would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
24,739 Posts
If you are a painter by trade and starting a new company how is it you do not know these numbers?

Sounds like you want to bid production/tract work.....

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
If you're asking as a general contractor about your sub painters and what not.....gtf outta here. Read and go over whatever the fuk book you were given that got you where you are now... about hiring painting sub contractors. OK? Don't expect others here to be your crutch.

In fact...pay me for advice.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
You must KNOW production numbers for sqft pricing to be effective. Add in aggravating factors (heights, access, excessive prep) and voila! This comes from experience. Your just going to have to get out there and make some bad bids first and learn from there.

I can price by wall sqft, floor sqft, or T&M. Doesn't matter to me which number you want, for the most part they all equal out. Don't "blind bid" and you won't get badly burned.

Asses the job in person, and charge by whatever unit the customer feels comfortable with.:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
here we go, TREE FIDDY A SQ FT, FOUR FIDDY IN CANADA, FIVE FIDDY IF OVER TEN FOOT TALL

·
http://penncoatinc.com/
91 Posts
Here's a National Production Rate Manual that you should read through.

This is how you'll need to quantify a price for specific surfaces of work. You'll need to measure the total square footage of the surface receiving the application. Then, find the suggested production rate for the type of surface/area you're trying to paint in the manual. Divide the total surface area by the production, and that's how many hours it's estimated to complete that surface. Then multiple those hours by the labor cost.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts