Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm in a little crunch :cry: . What would you guys do? I'm a very young paint contractor and have only been painting for about 3 years. Over this Summer in Washington I have hired 8 college students and they have all been divided up in teams of two. The Summer was originally slow with one the learning curve for some of them and two the rain delays. Now I have almost come to the end of my jobs that I have sold this Summer. I have about 730 hours left and those will be ate up in the next two and a half weeks. I have a few leads and will be following up but these are non-residential which means that they take a week or two to follow through. Argh....this business is tough. It looks like I'm answerin' all my leads tomorrow, tossing all my signs up, goin' door to door "high, do you want a paint job?"

Don't mind my rant but boy does this get stressful sometimes!

All my leads recently have been the last minute price shoppers. It looks like I'll be charging a little bit less than usual to sell a job or two. Economically it's better to cover overhead than to let it all go to waste.

Has anyone else been in this situation and how did you get through it?

Don't mind my other rant but does anybody in Washington make a good profit on new construction? Thanks for any and all advice. Thank you much for your input and the wonderful forum that you all contribute to! :Thumbs:

·
Banned
39 Posts
This is a problem all contractors face. Getting too much work can be as bad as not enough. Finding a balance and staying ahead of it is the trick. Each person gets to decide that for themselves given their set of resources. In high volume times, add help, and when its slow, cut back.
Hang in there,
Rjs

·
Registered
295 Posts
I woudn't press the panick button too soon, seeing you have 8 students that should be going back to school next month!?

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
toddcla2002 said:
What would you guys do? ... It looks like I'm answerin' all my leads tomorrow, tossing all my signs up, goin' door to door "high, do you want a paint job?"

Has anyone else been in this situation and how did you get through it?
You answered yourself with how I would have answered
Ya gotta do what ya gotta do, pound some pavement

As plumguy noted, don't they go back to school real soon?
I though some southern schools started in a week or two?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts