Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to the snow last week, we left our trailers parked and thought we had what we needed at a condo rehab we are doing. Anyway, we forgot hole saws to cut shower valve openings for the 1/2 hardibacker. Instead of going to get the hole saw, We improvised by driving a screw every 1/2" around a circle then just punching it out to get that perfect hole. Gave us a clean hole, no dust, and was quick. Anyone got other good improvising tips they have used?

·
General Contractor
8,083 Posts
Take a hammer and bust a hole in it, the tile will cover it... the hackers doing it all the time, it works and there is no mess, all the debris will fall behind the backer-board. :laughing:

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Take a hammer and bust a hole in it, the tile will cover it... the hackers doing it all the time, it works and there is no mess, all the debris will fall behind the backer-board. :laughing:
Great idea what size hammer do i use?. 23oz shower valve, 17oz tub spout :whistling

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
I just use a keyhole saw.....
You are not cutting through a half inch of hardibacker with a keyhole. Maybe durock, but not hardi. You'll dull the blade before you get half way through it. It won't even cut 1/4".

·
Remodeler
855 Posts
TNTSERVICES said:
You are not cutting through a half inch of hardibacker with a keyhole. Maybe durock, but not hardi. You'll dull the blade before you get half way through it. It won't even cut 1/4".

True enough. I missed the Hardi part. I usually prefer durock so that's what I was thinking of.

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
True enough. I missed the Hardi part. I usually prefer durock so that's what I was thinking of.
No reason in my mind to use hardi. I use Durock for walls and 1/4" backer for floors.

·
Registered
27 Posts
How do you guys cut your hardy and durarock? My boss insists on the worm drive with diamond blade, I hate that because of the dust. I always use the score and snap method when I can. Jigsaw at low speed for cutouts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Diamond blade on grinder for cement board, old carbide circ saw blade for hardi.

·
Registered
221 Posts
No reason in my mind to use hardi. I use Durock for walls and 1/4" backer for floors.
I wouldn't give you two cents for Hardi. Durock is so much easier to work with. For a couple of years, I used a Rotozip with a right angle attachment and a diamond blade, but now I have a Zip Saw by Rotozip with is basically the same thing, just smaller.

As for the dust, well the new Zip Saw has a dust cover with a small hose and an attachment for your ShopVac and it works reasonably well, but I don't use it unless I'm forced to cut indoors.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
How do you guys cut your hardy and durarock? My boss insists on the worm drive with diamond blade, I hate that because of the dust. I always use the score and snap method when I can. Jigsaw at low speed for cutouts
For clean ,dust free cutting---use a little diamond bladed circular saw and press a wet sponge against the blade----

Harbor Freight has a 4" diamond saw for about $40---try it.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Curiosity...... I've always had to cut hardi (both 1/2 and 1/4).

I've tried score/snap and can't do it (except maybe very small pieces.)

I use a carbide scorer.... is there some trick to it, as I'd like to avoid that dust/sand.....regardless of the evac system I use.

TIA

·
Repair & Renovation
3,257 Posts
I use to cut durock/permabase/cement board with a regular 24 tooth carbide blade on a cordless circ saw. Here's the trick though. Wet the cement board with water so it soaks in before the cut. Almost no dust..

Now I just score the board with a regular utility blade and snap it. Just cut the front side. Back won't work..

1 - 20 of 51 Posts