Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I spent a lot of time redoing it all. I'm about 80% done with this new version. See what you think.

www.rmchi.com

From a homeowner's point of view is it easy to navigate? Overall impression, as in what type of image does it project?

Thanks all,
again.

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
Much much better Mike. Very clean and professional. The before and afters are very well done also - fast loading and not jerky.
Probably the only thing that looks like an afterthought is the left navigation. This might be the 20% left that you have to do :) I would try and incorporate something like whats around the images in the center of the page.
Excellent remodel :)

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I really like the borders around the pics. Nice touch.

My only suggestion would be to slightly darken the gray buttons. Not black but slightly darker than what it is now. I'd also use the kitchen bathroom banner at the top as a link. You can break the banner apart and turn each word into a button. On my 800x600 browser, I didn't even see the navigation until I started to scroll.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Mike Finley said:
Okay, I spent a lot of time redoing it all. I'm about 80% done with this new version. See what you think.

Whoever you have hosting the page is great - your site loads instantly and page changes are blazing fast. I find that being able to browse quickly encourages me to look at more of a site and being delayed, i.e., waiting for the server, will make me bug out in a heart beat. Nothing is worse than clicking a link and waiting...waiting...waiting.

Your site looks very professional and is well layed out. If I had any negative impression it was that there might be too much information presented. Maybe narrow the range of navigation choices at the home page (Home, About Us, Projects, Remodeling Process, FAQ's, Contact Us) and provide further links at sub-pages (About Us > Testimonials, Projects > Bathrooms, Remodeling Process > Permits, Contact Us > Phone, etc.).

Yours is one of the best I've seen.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Rick. I'm gonna have to take more credit for the site moving quickly than the host. Properly optimized graphics and trying to use more text than graphics certainly helps in speed. For hosting it is just Verio. I have a old dealer account with them so I get discounted hosting rates. I don't consider them anything special, they pretty much are average and get the job done.

It looks like the concensus is the left navigation is the weakest part of the site. I'm a bit reluctant to complicate it much by prettying it up with graphics for the exact reason of keeping things loading quickly. Is the lightness effecting readability? On my monitor it appears fine, but maybe it is just me?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts