Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those so inclined, if you would take a look at my website and tell me:

- what do you think a consumers impressions would be after looking at it.

- Your opinion overall, I can take it.

www.rmchi.com

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
I don't really care for the java applets.. would rather have gif or a javascript slideshow. Java applets are so resource intensive. I'm assuming you're not done yet as there is no navigation - unless the Kitchens - Bathroom - etc are going to be links - it doesn't really jump out at me and say here's how you navigate this site.
Should have a Copyright at the bottom. Page title is missing. There are no meta tags i.e. - description and keywords. Not that google uses them - but some of the other SE's do.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies. Just to fill you in. Since as you may or may not know, I am just starting out so I have so little to show that the website is pretty much just a place marker at this point. However, I didn't want the website to scream out - "Just starting out!", but I also didn't want it to look like I am stretching to make it look like I am more than I really am. So at this point I have a single page that at least gives me a website for customers to look at. I'm hoping that having something is better than having nothing from a customer's perspective.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hatchet said:
I don't really care for the java applets.. would rather have gif or a javascript slideshow. Java applets are so resource intensive.
I really don't like those either. They are just the FrontPage stuff that is easy for me to make, but as you said they have some bad side effects and as you hinted there are some better ways to go. Do you have any example of a javascript that I could use in their place, or point me in a direction?

hatchet said:
I'm assuming you're not done yet as there is no navigation - unless the Kitchens - Bathroom - etc are going to be links - it doesn't really jump out at me and say here's how you navigate this site.
You guessed correctly, the site barely exists at this point, as the previous post explained. I can't wait to actually have something to link to! :cheesygri

hatchet said:
Should have a Copyright at the bottom. Page title is missing. There are no meta tags i.e. - description and keywords. Not that google uses them - but some of the other SE's do.
Good points. I have focused only on the site from a customer's perspective but I need to add that stuff. I have used something like this in the past do you have any opinion of it? Anything to add?

<title></title>
<meta name="robots" content="index,follow">
<meta name="revisit-after" content="7 days">
<meta name="description" content="">
<meta name="KEYWORDS" content="">

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
Here are a whole bunch of slide show scripts
http://www.hotscripts.com/JavaScript/Scripts_and_Programs/Image_Effects/Slide_Shows/index.html
The title tag, description, and keywords meta tags should be there but no need to have the robots, and revisit-after tags.
Also - with the javascript image show you can have links through the image but make sure and follow it up with a text link at the bottom to the same place (most of the top search engines can't follow javascript links).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice use of pictures

Mike Finley said:

www.rmchi.com
Mike,

I like the before and after pictures. However, I didn't notice an e-mail address on there for customers choosing that route for additional info. Overall, looks very nice.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I like the LOOK of the site. I agree with rich, I dislike the applets. Too much animation moves from eye candy to eye soar. I'd consider putting a "contact us" page somewhere so people can email you. Maybe next to where it says Kitchens · Bathrooms · Basements · Decks · and more...

Overall I agree with the layout. Thinking from a consumer, there is nothing more than one page for me to look at, nothing for me to click on. I'd probablya dd a dedicated page for the kitchens, and a dedicated page for bathrooms, and a dedicated pages for basemtns and a dedicated page for attics. All pages would havethe same overall theme but seperate content and pictures.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Grumpy said:
I'd probablya dd a dedicated page for the kitchens, and a dedicated page for bathrooms, and a dedicated pages for basemtns and a dedicated page for attics. All pages would havethe same overall theme but seperate content and pictures.
Yep, that's the plan. See post #5 above for the explanation. Unfortunately, I never took pictures of a lot of stuff I have done so I have so little to show at this point.

I should think about an contact page, I just hate the thought of somebody emailing me and me not seeing it for days at a time, that's why I left it off right now and just have the phone number which would get an immediate response, but you're right about needing a email contact on there too.

You must have missed the new links on the left for a few individual projects that I have been able to find pictures on to put up.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Mike Finley said:
Yep, that's the plan. See post #5 above for the explanation.
Too much reading bores me. You will find I hardly ever read ALL the replies in depth if I pick up on a thread in the middle of the conversation.

Mike Finley said:
I should think about an contact page, I just hate the thought of somebody emailing me and me not seeing it for days at a time
Me too. Check out my contact page. When they click send a pop up comes up saying that for fastest response they should call the office at...

·
Registered
38 Posts
It' nice but need few touches. ;)
I would change links’ colors. Navy blue on black is hard to read. Empty green field on the bottom give in impression of unfinished page. Also (as been said above) it needs more information for one-page-site. Not more reading may be less actual words but may be more topics covered (like specials, why to choose up, affiliations, etc) each should have just couple strong sentences.
If you want to do more, you can switch location project pages (good idea) and project pictures. Get rid of the blinking when images change. Make sure to view your page with 15” and 17” monitors (used by most).

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Grumpy said:
Too much reading bores me. You will find I hardly ever read ALL the replies in depth if I pick up on a thread in the middle of the conversation./QUOTE]

That might explain a lot! he he!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Overall, the site is well presented although some of the pictures are hard to see. An FYI, you have some grammer errors in your wording of the descriptions in a few places.

Mike Finley said:

www.rmchi.com

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think it looks good. There are a few links that don't work ...Kitchens, decks, basements and testimonials. Other then that though it is fast page loading time and nice overall designing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mike
The site looks good. I agree that maybe some of the wording could be cut down to a few specific sentences. I tended to skip some of the wording but the pages came up quickly and it was easy to move around. I find that if I send an email to a company if I know I might not hear back right away that's fine. Sometimes I don't need the answer immediately and I might not get a chance to call during the day. I prefer the option to email even if I have to wait a few days for any answer.
Debbie

1 - 18 of 18 Posts