Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a window guy and have a question. i was just told that gable vents are NOT needed if one has soffits and proper ridge vents in the roof. he claimed having gable vents interupt the "vacuum effect". is this true?
also, not being a roofing expert,a ridge vent is about a 1" wide strip thats cut the full length of the ridge on each side? then a mesh like material goes over it and then ridge caps over the vent material?
thanks guys

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
I don't like gable vents, proper soffit and ridge vent and you are good to go!:thumbsup:

·
Banned
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
could you guys describe what a roof vent looks like; is it a mesh? how can one tell if a roof actually has a roof vent? how wide a cut is on each side of the peak?(2" all the way to the end)

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
The Ridge Vent Slot is closer to about just a bit less than 3" wide, adjusted per manufacturers specifications.

Some, but not all do have a gauze-like material present, which is theoretically there to act as a filter.

When inside of the attic, it would not be uncommon to look up and see daylight shining through, which is perfectly normal.

Some of the better styles of Ridge Vents have, what is called an external wind deflecting Baffle, such as the Shingle Vent II from Air Vent Corp., and others are just a rolled mesh product.

The most widely accepted opinion is the theory of the attic ventilation being culpable of getting Short-Circuited when there are more than one type of attic vent product acting as exhaust vents, which would reduce the flowage that is supposed to come from the soffit eave areas of the roof for the Intake Ventilation.

I do believe in that premise and have personally seen snow and rain get sucked into the gable vents when they were present in addition to the Ridge Vents or even the standard static air mushroom style turtle vents.

Ed

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I do believe in that premise and have personally seen snow and rain get sucked into the gable vents when they were present in addition to the Ridge Vents or even the standard static air mushroom style turtle vents.

Ed
I have also. I've seen piles of snow under vents before that were not working correctly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the education guys. This is something I was not aware of. And great link CentryMan.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts