Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Tools are like underwear. Buy what feels good. Stick to the higher end brands/models and you should be fine. Bosch, Makita, Milwaukee, DeWalt, Metabo.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was lookin at the bosh but wasnt sure the craftsman was cheaper so i went with it and it last 3 years of hard use but id like to move up to a bigger brand

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
i was lookin at the bosh but wasnt sure the craftsman was cheaper so i went with it and it last 3 years of hard use but id like to move up to a bigger brand
If you had Bosch before, going the Craftsman route is a step down, IMHO. I'm a fan of Milwaukee, but also like the feel of the Makita. You may also want to look at the rest of the tool lineup and see if there is something you might want to add in the future.

There are a bunch of treads on this forum regarding the cordless tools. If you do a search, you will find hundreds of pages of opinions and commentary on the subject. I've come to the conclusion that they all make good tools these days (provided you stick with a professional brand, i.e. Bosch, DeWalt, Milwaukee, Makita, Panasonic, Metabo, etc.), and every manufacturer will sometimes build a lemon.

I stay away from Ryobi, Porter Cable, Craftsman and Hitachi. The latter makes some good tools (or at least used to), but cordless just isn't their strong suit.

·
Artist and not a curator
14,245 Posts
If you had Bosch before, going the Craftsman route is a step down, IMHO. I'm a fan of Milwaukee, but also like the feel of the Makita. You may also want to look at the rest of the tool lineup and see if there is something you might want to add in the future.

There are a bunch of treads on this forum regarding the cordless tools. If you do a search, you will find hundreds of pages of opinions and commentary on the subject. I've come to the conclusion that they all make good tools these days (provided you stick with a professional brand, i.e. Bosch, DeWalt, Milwaukee, Makita, Panasonic, Metabo, etc.), and every manufacturer will sometimes build a lemon.

I stay away from Ryobi, Porter Cable, Craftsman and Hitachi. The latter makes some good tools (or at least used to), but cordless just isn't their strong suit.
Makitas batteries suck balls. I just bought a brushless dewalt impact and drill because I was so pissed about makitas batteries going to hell on me. I would love the green to match my other stuff but I really want an impact and their impact is their worst tool.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Makita only sucks if you don't take care of them. I have 8 batteries and have never had one fail. One is kind of starting to go, but it was dropped 20' off a roof and broke the casing, but it still works

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
I've had 16 makita batteries go bad because of stupid employees. I've only had 1 go bad on me. Don't ever drain the battery completely and they'll last a lot longer. When your drill starts to slow down stop and change batteries right away. Don't store them drained, store them with a charge on them.

·
Artist and not a curator
14,245 Posts
I've had 16 makita batteries go bad because of stupid employees. I've only had 1 go bad on me. Don't ever drain the battery completely and they'll last a lot longer. When your drill starts to slow down stop and change batteries right away. Don't store them drained, store them with a charge on them.
I'm the only one who uses mine and lost two batteries in the past 6 months, both at crucial times. I still have a couple batteries that work but wont be my good drill anymore. Plus who doesn't like an excuse to buy something new?

I've had them for three years... I beat the chit out of everything and it was time to see if something would hold up to the abuse, last dewalt sucked but I've been hearing good things lately.

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
I'm the only one who uses mine and lost two batteries in the past 6 months, both at crucial times. I still have a couple batteries that work but wont be my good drill anymore. Plus who doesn't like an excuse to buy something new?

I've had them for three years... I beat the chit out of everything and it was time to see if something would hold up to the abuse, last dewalt sucked but I've been hearing good things lately.
I get that, I'm thinking of picking up the dewalt 20v as I've been really impressed with the 20v multi tool.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Yellow and black attack!! That's my motto. Love my 20v impact . Don't get at home cheapo . There tools like there material is inferior . Northern tool is where I shop

·
Registered
435 Posts
The real dewalt drills have metal gears and components ..the home cheapo ones have plastic ... Not the same tool .. Best place is dewalt store but if you don't have one close grainger or northern tool

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Smithanator said:
The real dewalt drills have metal gears and components ..the home cheapo ones have plastic ... Not the same tool .. Best place is dewalt store but if you don't have one close grainger or northern tool
Urban legend. If the model number is the same, it's the same tool. Can you imagine how hard it would be to keep track of when ordering parts? If you go the the DeWalt website to order parts, they never ask where you bought it. Just the model number. I have heard this myth so many times, but not a single person has been able to offer documented proof. Now HD doesn't sell all models, so you need to make sure you are getting the one you want.

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
Urban legend. If the model number is the same, it's the same tool. Can you imagine how hard it would be to keep track of when ordering parts? If you go the the DeWalt website to order parts, they never ask where you bought it. Just the model number. I have heard this myth so many times, but not a single person has been able to offer documented proof. Now HD doesn't sell all models, so you need to make sure you are getting the one you want.
Quoting this so that hopefully it'll get read again.

·
Artist and not a curator
14,245 Posts
I get that, I'm thinking of picking up the dewalt 20v as I've been really impressed with the 20v multi tool.
I have to say so far, I'm impressed. I haven't done a bunch with it yet but its really comfortable, has ample power, super bright lights, and is well... New.:thumbsup:

The drill is okay, when you put a bit in and tighten it, the bit wants to not center. Nothing big and might be because I'm not used to it, also second speed seems a bit fast.

For the record, bought it at Lowe's. Convenience factor.

·
Artist and not a curator
14,245 Posts
Third times a charm?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts