Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've come to the conclusion I need to get an impact driver occassional use. Looking to spend $150-200, maybe a little more. I want it to be 18v.

Im thinking the Bosch IDS181-102 may be the way to go.

I also see the Hitachi WH18DSAL towards the lower end of my price range as well.

·
Hack
3,011 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of Dewalt, but their 20 volt impact is really good. I have the Milwaukee m18 with the 1.5 ah batteries and I wish I would have gotten the 3ah instead.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I suggest you get a bare tool of whatever cordless brand you are now using.

Reactions: asevereid

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I suggest you get a bare tool of whatever cordless brand you are now using.
The only cordless I've got where this is going to be used is a Bosch drill. At work We've got Hitachi's and Dewalt's. I tend toward corded most of the time since I am often working with metal and that eats batteries.

·
Super Moderator
10,678 Posts
I currently own 6 cordless impacts. I have used just about all of them, and have found nearly all of them very durable. The exception was the older Ridgid 18v. We burned that up twice before I gave it away. I agree that of you already have some other cordless, to stick with that brand.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ive been using Makita for 6 years now, still going strong, the Milwaukee is strong but friggin loud and bulky/heavy, I had a Bosch and disliked the trigger controlx no experience with the Hitachi

·
Registered
358 Posts
occasional use? I buy the dewalt 18v nicad combo kits for my guys. two batteries, one impact one 3/8 drill, case & charger. @ $179 I didnt expect much but theyre almost disposable. :thumbup:

we've beat the crap out of them, dropped one in giant mud puddle, and theyve been dropped more than times than I can count from step ladders. They keep on ticking...

I think I just saw the makita 1.5amp kits on sale for $199 at home dumpo. just make sure if you keep the batteries topped off every so often. if the charge drops too low they ecome expensive paper weights... ask me how i know. :censored:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've come to the conclusion I need to get an impact driver occassional use. Looking to spend $150-200, maybe a little more. I want it to be 18v.

Im thinking the Bosch IDS181-102 may be the way to go.

I also see the Hitachi WH18DSAL towards the lower end of my price range as well.
I would go with the Bosch. All our cordless are bosch, and their impactors can take a beating and still keep performing. They're heavier than most but have metal gearing instead of plastic.

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
occasional use? I buy the dewalt 18v nicad combo kits for my guys. two batteries, one impact one 3/8 drill, case & charger. @ $179 I didnt expect much but theyre almost disposable. :thumbup:

we've beat the crap out of them, dropped one in giant mud puddle, and theyve been dropped more than times than I can count from step ladders. They keep on ticking...

I think I just saw the makita 1.5amp kits on sale for $199 at home dumpo. just make sure if you keep the batteries topped off every so often. if the charge drops too low they ecome expensive paper weights... ask me how i know. :censored:
Occasional use because these are going into my personal collection for odd jobsm etc. I looked at that Dewalt set last year but I have used that particular drill before and for some reason the grip is at an odd angle and I can't drive screws straight with it.

·
GC/carpenter
43,958 Posts
jlsconstruction said:
I have all Makita, and if I didn't I would have Milwaukee.
I have the Milwaukee brushless, it's a great impact, but there is one very annoying issue I have with it. They put the forward and reverse button too low, so your hand is constantly pushing the button unintentionally. I am trying to a adjust the way I use it as the fix. Otherwise it's a great tool, lots of power and very lightweight. The battery life is phenomenal.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
If I was just looking the purchase an impact driver with no consideration to battery commonality across multiple tools, I would get a Panasonic.

·
GC/carpenter
43,958 Posts
Bone Saw said:
I second the mil fuels have hammer/impact both m12 and m18, one charger for all, looks like after all these years mil has FINALLY put out a decent battery. you wont be sorry, I also agree on the for/rev switch, small potatoes though.
Yep, if I had it to do over I would still buy it. It's very powerful for its class. :thumbsup:

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
I have the Milwaukee brushless, it's a great impact, but there is one very annoying issue I have with it. They put the forward and reverse button too low, so your hand is constantly pushing the button unintentionally. I am trying to a adjust the way I use it as the fix. Otherwise it's a great tool, lots of power and very lightweight. The battery life is phenomenal.
But it has a spot to put an extra bit... Right?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts