Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all - long time lurker and thought it about time to step out of the shadows. :whistling

My m18 impact just crapped out and am now considering my options. I've seen a lot of guys are recommending the fuel line but there's a guy on site with one of these and it's practically shaking the house. Think I'd go deaf in a day.

Anyone know of a review article that compares the decibels across the different manufacturers? All you fuel owners... do you find it louder than m18 line?

Thanks

·
GC/carpenter
43,607 Posts
Hey all - long time lurker and thought it about time to step out of the shadows. :whistling

My m18 impact just crapped out and am now considering my options. I've seen a lot of guys are recommending the fuel line but there's a guy on site with one of these and it's practically shaking the house. Think I'd go deaf in a day.

Anyone know of a review article that compares the decibels across the different manufacturers? All you fuel owners... do you find it louder than m18 line?

Thanks
I use mine outdoors and never had the noise bother me. I love the fuel line, and I can't say enough about milwaukee 's customer service either.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I think the more torque they use the louder they are. I don't notice a difference between my Makita and Dewalt. But then again I've never paid real attention.

·
Read Only
16,993 Posts

Thanks
I hope this thread has legs. Noisy making tools are my main peeve on the job.
:thumbsup:

·
Manager/Diplomat/Builder
331 Posts
Be sure and wear hearing protection, no matter what you buy:thumbup:. My fuel impact is not really any quieter or noiser then others I've used, but they'll all make ya go deaf without protection.......

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
I jave the 18v and 12v dewalt impacts. They dont get used everday but the smaller 12v is very handy and can still sink screws in hardibacker, slower, but it will do it. The 18v is seven years old.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I think all impact drivers are going to be loud. Get a compact drill if you want quiet and save the impact for when you need the torque, lag bolts etc...

·
Pro
2,138 Posts
darthdude said:
Be sure and wear hearing protection, no matter what you buy:thumbup:. My fuel impact is not really any quieter or noiser then others I've used, but they'll all make ya go deaf without protection.......
Been using hearing protection for years.

Just be aware of your surroundings while they're in or on.

Real easy to get "in the zone".

You peripheral vision may be the only thing that prevents an accident.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
Been using hearing protection for years.

Just be aware of your surroundings while they're in or on.

Real easy to get "in the zone".

You peripheral vision may be the only thing that prevents an accident.
Hell yeah, I've almost been run over a couple of times. When you cross the street you better think about what you're doing.

·
Pro
2,138 Posts
Metro M & L said:
Hell yeah, I've almost been run over a couple of times. When you cross the street you better think about what you're doing.
Might be a generational thing:

I usually don't cross the street with my earplugs in.

Earbuds on the other hand are great for the trap and skeet field.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I hope this thread has legs. Noisy making tools are my main peeve on the job.
:thumbsup:
Yeah, the noise from the impacts is their biggest downside IMO and why I prefer to grab one of the drivers or drills instead. Of course if one is working on a bustling, already noisy job site it may not be an issue.

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
WHAT? I HAVE BEEN USING MY IMPACT AT EAR LEVEL FOR YEARS AND NOT NOTICED IT WAS LOUD, WHAT, NO I DIDN'T SAY I WOULD LIKE TO DANCE LADY, I SAID YOU LOOK FAT IN THOSE PANTS. WHAT?

Sorry, been long day. I usually have ear buds in but can tell you my Dewalt is a tad loud. Didn't really notice it I guess but probably will now, thanks.

·
GC/carpenter
43,607 Posts
WHAT? I HAVE BEEN USING MY IMPACT AT EAR LEVEL FOR YEARS AND NOT NOTICED IT WAS LOUD, WHAT, NO I DIDN'T SAY I WOULD LIKE TO DANCE LADY, I SAID YOU LOOK FAT IN THOSE PANTS. WHAT?

Sorry, been long day. I usually have ear buds in but can tell you my Dewalt is a tad loud. Didn't really notice it I guess but probably will now, thanks.
What?

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
Large type as in yelling, nevermind...was lost in translation somewhere, been a long day. Looking forward to rain all night so I can sleep in tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts