Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Impact Bits

7014 Views 35 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  QCCI
I'm slowly working my way and using up my Apex bits - they were my gold standard (jobber grade) back when they were made in the US.

What impact bits are ya'll using.
Seems everyone likes and dislikes both box brands - Milwaukee and Dewalt.

I'll have to check the pricing on the Wiha bits, as the brief stint on those impact bits were good but $$
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
I'm mainly using a 26pc Rigid set with a few Milwaukee bits to fill in where the set is lacking. Haven't used an impact much since I picked them up so not sure on there liespan.
I was looking to change to Apex from the "off the shelf" stock, is there an issue? My Overhead Door Parts Supplier charges a premium for these bits.

I mostly use nut drivers and adapters for 3/8" drive sockets. Any problems there?
I use to use Hilti bits but they changed them and they are now pretty sub-par so I spent Liberia's deficit on Wera bits.
Reactions: onthelevel
I can't say WITHOUT doing homework. My crop of Apex is USA made....jobber grade.

AFAIK, one usa plant closed. Not sure of the others 2 plants or quality since I have had a large stash of these bits, P2, torx, etc.

Apex was also sold this year to a different firm. So I don't know what the quality is.....of the recent stuff that you see from Apex
Kevin -

Just reread you post. Their nut drivers - or the ones I know are awesome. The magnets just hold them all day long.....

I've got some USA stock on Torx and P2 I'd be willing to make a package and sell at a awesome price.

I'm mainly using impacts and wanted to dip the toes in Impact bits
Reactions: maxwage
I buy the extended length bits from McMaster for use with my impact driver. I don't know what brand they are but they say made in USA on them.
Might want to check out the new DeWalt Flex Torq bits.
Apex used to be the standard go to bit, but as someone said seems to be lacking lately. I bought a few of these to try out. They don't have a magnet but a friction type ring, keeps the shavings from building up.

http://www.makitatools.com/en-us/Modules/Accessories/ImpactGOLD/Nutsetters.aspx
I switched to Qualtool many years ago and love them. They aren't the easiest to find but a couple smaller tool stores in my area carry them.

I got a free pack of the Makita gold bits mentioned above but haven't had a chance to test them out yet.
milwaukee hands down.. the dewalt ones dont even compare i typically lose them before they wear out unlike the dewalts which wear out after a couple weeks of heavy use
I usually get whatever Milwaukee dewalt or rigid that's on sale.
I use Norseman drill bits and seem to be pretty good. Use Apex for nut drivers.
Norseman is made in the USA also.
I go through a lot of #2 square drive bits. I prefer the Milwaukee power bits. I got some two piece bits from McFeely's (see picture below) that actually last longer. They're OK for driving screws but when you have to remove a screw, they won't let go - very frustrating.

Attachments

Norseman drill bits are the best I've found. They stay sharp a long time, and don't snap as easily as most others I have tried. It's what I use if I need to drill through steel.
QCCI said:
I use Norseman drill bits and seem to be pretty good. Use Apex for nut drivers.
I made the switch to only using wiha and wera bits...they blow the doors off anything and everything I found in hardware stores. Home depot. Lowes. Lumber yards....bits. holders. Screwdrivers. Pliers. They make some awesome tools
Agreed.
I made the switch to only using wiha and wera bits...they blow the doors off anything and everything I found in hardware stores. Home depot. Lowes. Lumber yards....bits. holders. Screwdrivers. Pliers. They make some awesome tools
Try them, you won't look back...
I'll have to try them, where do you buy them? We pretty much drill in steel only
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.