Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm slowly working my way and using up my Apex bits - they were my gold standard (jobber grade) back when they were made in the US.

What impact bits are ya'll using.
Seems everyone likes and dislikes both box brands - Milwaukee and Dewalt.

I'll have to check the pricing on the Wiha bits, as the brief stint on those impact bits were good but $$

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
I'm mainly using a 26pc Rigid set with a few Milwaukee bits to fill in where the set is lacking. Haven't used an impact much since I picked them up so not sure on there liespan.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I was looking to change to Apex from the "off the shelf" stock, is there an issue? My Overhead Door Parts Supplier charges a premium for these bits.

I mostly use nut drivers and adapters for 3/8" drive sockets. Any problems there?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I use to use Hilti bits but they changed them and they are now pretty sub-par so I spent Liberia's deficit on Wera bits.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't say WITHOUT doing homework. My crop of Apex is USA made....jobber grade.

AFAIK, one usa plant closed. Not sure of the others 2 plants or quality since I have had a large stash of these bits, P2, torx, etc.

Apex was also sold this year to a different firm. So I don't know what the quality is.....of the recent stuff that you see from Apex

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kevin -

Just reread you post. Their nut drivers - or the ones I know are awesome. The magnets just hold them all day long.....

I've got some USA stock on Torx and P2 I'd be willing to make a package and sell at a awesome price.

I'm mainly using impacts and wanted to dip the toes in Impact bits

·
Carbon Dioxide Producer
782 Posts
I buy the extended length bits from McMaster for use with my impact driver. I don't know what brand they are but they say made in USA on them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I switched to Qualtool many years ago and love them. They aren't the easiest to find but a couple smaller tool stores in my area carry them.

I got a free pack of the Makita gold bits mentioned above but haven't had a chance to test them out yet.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
milwaukee hands down.. the dewalt ones dont even compare i typically lose them before they wear out unlike the dewalts which wear out after a couple weeks of heavy use

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I go through a lot of #2 square drive bits. I prefer the Milwaukee power bits. I got some two piece bits from McFeely's (see picture below) that actually last longer. They're OK for driving screws but when you have to remove a screw, they won't let go - very frustrating.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
QCCI said:
I use Norseman drill bits and seem to be pretty good. Use Apex for nut drivers.
Norseman drill bits are the best I've found. They stay sharp a long time, and don't snap as easily as most others I have tried. It's what I use if I need to drill through steel.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I made the switch to only using wiha and wera bits...they blow the doors off anything and everything I found in hardware stores. Home depot. Lowes. Lumber yards....bits. holders. Screwdrivers. Pliers. They make some awesome tools
Agreed.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts