Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Al Smith
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of resizing and renaming images to upload to my web site. all my previous images i have on my site have no naming convention besides the random number given by my camera or cell phone. now that some of my image files will actually have a descriptive name.to assist in google searches. I feel the need to insert copyright information within the image data. Apparently i have no software on my computer that can do that. I remember someone here mentioning the ability of Microsoft software that can do that. Problem is i do not have a Microsoft suite on this computer as I had built it myself and only bought an OEM operating system XP cd. Any ideas? I tried a google search for copyright image labeling but my google fu is somehow messed up tonight.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,698 Posts
Are you wanting to rename a photo that your camera labels something like DSC12345 to a name like BlahBlahBlah©2009MyWebSite?

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,698 Posts
no at sign but basically yes. from
1103091232b.jpg
to
garage framing.jpg

renaming the file is the easy part, but is there a way to insert data like copyright A W Smith 12/2009 ???
I just put that right on the image.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,698 Posts
How are you going to upload EXIF data to your website? :blink:

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,698 Posts
not uploading EXIF data to the web site. I'm editing the EXIF data in the images i have on my computer, and then uploading them to my web site
So what will this do for the images on your site?

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,698 Posts
nothing visibly. but i don't like watermarks. the copyright data will be hidden within the image itself you wont be able to crop it out like a watermark. yes you could edit it out but thats assuming the person using it knows its there.
I don't get it.

You're going to add/modify the image data, but not upload it to your website. Yet that data (that is only on your computer) is supposed to somehow protect your images.

My brain must be in neutral right now.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,698 Posts
well yes of course im going to upload the images to my web server.
Yes, you are going to upload the images, but not the EXIF data. So what good will changing/altering it do..... what advatage will data that resides on your computer (not your server) do to keep me from copying the images?

I'm just trying learn here.

·
Al Smith
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, you are going to upload the images, but not the EXIF data. So what good will changing/altering it do..... what advatage will data that resides on your computer (not your server) do to keep me from copying the images?

I'm just trying learn here.

the EXIF data, is within the image. it becomes part of the image file

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,698 Posts
the EXIF data, is within the image. it becomes part of the image file

I still don't see how that's going to stop someone from copying the image.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,698 Posts
they can copy the image. But if i find it. i can view the data within the image using my plug in
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3905

here is a test image

http://awsmith.com/images/miller/footing rebar and formwork.jpg

this is what it looks like in the plug in

http://awsmith.com/images/viewer.jpg

Gotcha. So you're thinking if someone just straight-out copies your image directly to their site, the data that you put with it will be viewable from the other site. Makes sense.

Now the million dollar question:

How do you find if someone has one of your images? Is there software that searches the web, or is it just plain dumb luck finding it/them?

·
Al Smith
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gotcha. So you're thinking if someone just straight-out copies your image directly to their site, the data that you put with it will be viewable from the other site. Makes sense.

Now the million dollar question:

How do you find if someone has one of your images? Is there software that searches the web, or is it just plain dumb luck finding it/them?

pretty much dumb luck which would be the same if someone copied your images and just snipped off the watermark in the lower right hand corner. The difference being the EXIF data is not so obvious. and will remain.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,698 Posts
pretty much dumb luck which would be the same if someone copied your images and just snipped off the watermark in the lower right hand corner. The difference being the EXIF data is not so obvious. and will remain.

So what would happen if I copied your image to my computer, modified it, then posted it?

Does it still say this is your image?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts