Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
JAT said:
I've been in construction since I was 14 years old and I'm good - damn good. I'm trying to relocate to Nevada and have (after 8 months) been approved to take the General Contractor's exam next month. The test will be difficult - I'm told. I may not pass the test. After being considered one of the best builders in a 200 mile radius - I may not pass an exam that some very shoddy builders have passed. And if I don't - there goes my business. I pride myself on being able to solve any problem...and to date - in 16 years - I've never failed. But none of that matters. My integrity does not actually matter. My ability does not actually matter. I am just curious to hear if anyone else has been in my situation.
DO NOT TAKE THE TEST! YOU WILL FAIL! STOP NOW! IT'S TOO HARD!
Great first post. Are you drunk or something?
I've never come across anyone who's been working since he was 14, and has been succesful for 16 years, that cries and moans the way you do. It's friggin' nauseating man. If you're so good that you're considered one of the best builders in a 200 mile radius (which, frankly, may or may not mean much of anything depending on where you are) then stop projecting your failure and get your head back into something that will help you succeed. Maybe you can find some better advice at www.cryonmyshoulder.com. Shees!

Pond?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Tough love baby - tough love.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
If you're that good, what are you fretting about? You should pass with flying colors. Let us know how you do.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have been bitchin about WA. not testing contractors for years. Pay your $ instant contractor. Plumpers I mean plumbers; have to take a state test as do elec. They also command big $$ because of it. I have had about 18 years exp. and I better well be able to pass test. Thing of it is I do a lot of sub contracts and get beat up by fly by night morons who dont know their heads from their hammers. They get eaten up and there is another to take his place. Best thing is , "Their Quality" keeps me in business.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Tough Love ?

Let Me Say This About That :

My advice to you is that you need to clear your head right now and focus on what you are going to do !!!
That is to use all of your experience along with the great wealth of knowledge you should have along with some back slappin book crackin knowledge crammin, no BS talkin or takin to straight forward get the job done actions as you require in order to pass the test and conduct yourself as well as your business in a manner that you are comfortable with. Plain and Simple.
No need to snivel about anything anybody else is or isnt doin just because it is not done like that where you are from and or you are not ok with it. We all take the same circumstances and do what we will with them.
Big City America = Bureaucracy and That Translates into BS !!!

The Short and Sweet of It- Do What You Gotta Do.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
ryan's right on this one, go back after it ASAP. I know some really good guys that didn't make it on the first pass. Most didn't expect the business sections to be so heavy.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I kinda like red tape. It covers my own ass as much as the customer's ass. I too am in the midwest and would never dream of doing a job without a signed contract.

I think it's poor business to schedule a job without a signature.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Grumpy said:
I think it's poor business to schedule a job without a signature.
THAT is a great point Grumpy. Only recently have I begun to implement that policy and it's produced the desired results. I put myself in a box a couple of times, by staging jobs before the were signed for, and I learned how important it is to stick to a "first things first" policy. It helps both me and my customer.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Spectatorz said:
Big City America = Bureaucracy and That Translates into BS !!!
Fortunately, it can also be translated into $$$ :Thumbs:

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I long for the days when a mans word meant something and business was done on a handshake. I'm proud that I was a part of those final days.
Adjusting to today is a burden on the soul.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Teetor I try very very hard to say what I mean and mean waht I say. I really think my father raised me very old fashioned. Unfortunately I do busienss with alot of new age people who say what ever suits them at the moment. They may seem honest but so does damned near everyone.

I tell customers... "All I need is your signature on the line marked purchaser. It's a formality more than anything. My insurance company has informed me that if I don;t have a signed contract they will not cover me. Therefore if anyone damages your house or hurts themselves and I don't have a signature my insurance company wont help US out."

Notice I say us , and notice I blame it on the insurance comapny. This is true however I am playing good cop bad cop. I act like it is a tedious hassel but there is no way around it. This forces the customer to sign my contract without making me look like the bad guy.

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you're in Vegas the market there sounds white hot-- and hence the talent (or un-talent) vacuum. The situation there could only be worse if they didn't have at least some screen-- ie test. We don't have any test/qualifications in my area and it's not a great situation. Anyone that wants to be a contractor for a few weeks can give it a shot. Not to mention the out of towners that show up for hail storms etc...

·
Registered
386 Posts
Bureaucracy

PipeGuy said:
Fortunately, it can also be translated into $$$ :Thumbs:
Only in America !!!

I Love This Country !!! :Thumbs:

Put Your Boots on and Roll up Your Sleeves !!!

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Grumpy, my parents were from IN and even thought I was born and raised in the Bahamas the midwestern values were passed on to me. In the 50's and 60's it worked in the islands as well. I know what happened but sure miss the 'good ol' days'.

·
Commercial construction
606 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
...sure miss the 'good ol' days'.
Me too. We built new houses for years; on a hand shake. There weren't any "misunderstandings" either. Thieves were ashamed; now they're proud. Sad...

1 - 20 of 61 Posts