Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
It's Not a Toomaa!!
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't have a dumpster at my home. I don't have a shop outside of my house yet either. I find myself either hording 3 or 4 trash cans of debris until I get enough gathered to make a trip to the landfill, or just running it down there w/ a half full F150. The closest landfill is 30 minutes away.

I just put an add in Craigslist looking for a person or business who is willing to allow me to use their dumpster for $50 per load. This is what the Landfill charges me and I don't mind the cost, its just the time lost that really gets me. And yes, I charge for a modest disposal fee to cover time, gas and landfill fees. I just hate the trip is all.

Any other ideas on how to avoid the incessant trips to the dump without actually renting a dumpster? I never gave it too much thought, but lately its been more and more aggravating.

Thanks,

Josh

·
Banned
846 Posts
How much space do you have? Could you buy an old grain truck (maybe a 24 footer?) and only make a run when it gets full?

·
It's Not a Toomaa!!
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Space is the main issue at my place. I bought this house two years ago. Well before I started this business. I have a rediculously steep drive way w/ a drop-off at the bottom held up by a retaining wall. I truly have no room to keep anything along side or at the bottom of my driveway. I know as the business grows I will need to invest in a new home, or a shop of some sort. Its just this in between time that is gnawing at me at the moment.

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
Space is the main issue at my place. I bought this house two years ago. Well before I started this business. I have a rediculously steep drive way w/ a drop-off at the bottom held up by a retaining wall. I truly have no room to keep anything along side or at the bottom of my driveway. I know as the business grows I will need to invest in a new home, or a shop of some sort. Its just this in between time that is gnawing at me at the moment.
As stated previously..."join the club"

You're either in business or you aren't. Trash is a major aspect of construction and you need to figure out an economical way to deal with it. It's part of the the territory.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
I usually use a debris hauler.They come by,put it in their truck,sweep up and take it to the dump.It is usually cheaper than renting a dumpster.

·
It's Not a Toomaa!!
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right on. On a job that has enough trash generated, I can rent an 11 yard dumpster for $300 for 10 days. I like the idea of a haul away service. I'll have to look into who is available in the area.

Greg Di-- I realize that. As I'm getting busier its becoming more of an issue than ever. Hence the post looking for ideas.

Thanks,

Josh

·
Banned
846 Posts
Do you have a front or back yard? What you could do is put down a 9'x20' pad of compacted 3/4 gravel and park one of these on it. When it gets full, haul it off. How small is your yard? What are the ordinances like? Would that be an option?

Building a pad to park that on shouldn't cost more than a few hundred dollars and take a half day or so to complete.

Attachments

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
Right on. On a job that has enough trash generated, I can rent an 11 yard dumpster for $300 for 10 days. I like the idea of a haul away service. I'll have to look into who is available in the area.

Greg Di-- I realize that. As I'm getting busier its becoming more of an issue than ever. Hence the post looking for ideas.

Thanks,

Josh
It depends on how much debris you think there is going to be.If you are in a situation where you can put it all in one spot till it is ready to be picked up that is the best case.Sometimes you may have to have them come out more than once as to not have a big ol' pile of junk on the job site.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Personally I have never had your kind of debris problem but if I did my first approach would be to call the local trash hauler such as Lebanon Farms??? or maybe the smallest ad in the yellow pages and ask them if they can arrange to have a truck come by your job site on a daily pickup and at a certain time. Might be easier with less hassle that you might think.

Just a thought!!:whistling

·
It's Not a Toomaa!!
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I appreciate the thoughts Bob, but I really cant do much with what I've got on site. No access to the back yard. My garages are under the house and I've got low wires at the beginning of my driveway. I have to figure out a solution of site, but close to home if possible.

100_3772.jpg
100_3774.jpg

·
It's Not a Toomaa!!
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Personally I have never had your kind of debris problem but if I did my first approach would be to call the local trash hauler such as Lebanon Farms??? or maybe the smallest ad in the yellow pages and ask them if they can arrange to have a truck come by your job site on a daily pickup and at a certain time. Might be easier with less hassle that you might think.

Just a thought!!:whistling
I'll look into that tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Call you local dumpster company and ask if you can have a dumpster for small jobs left at his yard, outside the gates of course. That is what a few guys around here do, the dumpster company has 2yd dumpsters that get emptied weekly and it saves him gas to go around town to pick it up. There are about 4 or 5 dumpsters lined up and pad locked so the only people who can get in are you and him.

·
Banned
846 Posts
Two more thoughts.

1. Please hire a landscaper to fix that wall and your lawn.

2. Try your contacts in the construction trade in your area. Maybe someone nearby will go in on a trailer/dumpster and a place to store it w/ you. There's a landscaper in Lewiston that has a big broad area JD mower. When I need it he lets me borrow it. When he needs my woodchipper he borrows that. We always return each others equipment full of fuel and kick each other a few bucks for maintenance. It works out better than me buying a $35K mower and him buying a $25K chipper.

·
It's Not a Toomaa!!
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Call you local dumpster company and ask if you can have a dumpster for small jobs left at his yard, outside the gates of course. That is what a few guys around here do, the dumpster company has 2yd dumpsters that get emptied weekly and it saves him gas to go around town to pick it up. There are about 4 or 5 dumpsters lined up and pad locked so the only people who can get in are you and him.
Hey that would be great!!! If that works, I'll owe you a beer. That's just what I was looking for. I'll also give them a call tomorrow. I wonder who is the closest................

·
It's Not a Toomaa!!
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Two more thoughts.

1. Please hire a landscaper to fix that wall and your lawn.

2. Try your contacts in the construction trade in your area. Maybe someone nearby will go in on a trailer/dumpster and a place to store it w/ you. There's a landscaper in Lewiston that has a big broad area JD mower. When I need it he lets me borrow it. When he needs my woodchipper he borrows that. We always return each others equipment full of fuel and kick each other a few bucks for maintenance. It works out better than me buying a $35K mower and him buying a $25K chipper.
The lawn you see to the left of the driveway is not mine. Its the neighbors. The wall is on the list. I'll never hire a landscaper for anything ever, never, ever. The weed tree has to go along w/ the yellow bush and then the wall can be repaired once I rip the deck off. While the deck is down, I may as well replace the crap vinyl and the list goes on and on and on and on.

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Handy - do you have any regular customers with large lots?

I have a long-time customer of mine who lets me keep my dump trailer on his property when not in use, or when unable to fit onto a jobsite. I don't have the room to park my 16' trailer, my truck, the wife's car and a dump trailer.

Usually throw a few freebies in on his jobs, or give a fair discount on one larger project - and he gets to throw any trash in there that the local hauler won't take.

Just a thought...

·
Banned
846 Posts
Let me know whenyou want to do something w/ that garden. I get a killer discount on bulbs and could send you a few thousand to really make that area pop w/ color.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts