Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
At least some of it is in boxes... We were doing as remodel where they wire nutted in the wall, no box, and were kind enough to switch the black and white wires...

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Safety first. Put the plate back on the top one and your good to go.

·
Registered
15,310 Posts
Thats not even funny, its got to be cleaned up before covered. An access isnt going to be enough for later. Im sure your just teasing us..

Is that exterior insulated wire? Its illegal inside I think.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Thats not even funny, its got to be cleaned up before covered. An access isnt going to be enough for later. Im sure your just teasing us..

Is that exterior insulated wire? Its illegal inside I think.
Yes Tom.... we were not serious....

But let me ask for my curiosity, what is your reference to "exterior insulated wire"......UF?

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Couldn't say what it is exactly, didn't look too close, that's what I hire electricians for.

But every older house I know is wired with it.
No kidding/joking really....

Tom called it "exterior insulated wiring" (which I have no idea what his reference is to) and said he thought it was illegal (non-code) of which I don't know what he is referring/talking about.....

Looks like old Romex to me...

Just curious.... maybe a sparky will comment/elucidate us non-sparkys.

Best

Peter

·
Registered
15,310 Posts
No kidding/joking really....

Tom called it "exterior insulated wiring" (which I have no idea what his reference is to) and said he thought it was illegal (non-code) of which I don't know what he is referring/talking about.....

Looks like old Romex to me...

Just curious.... maybe a sparky will comment/elucidate us non-sparkys.

Best

Peter
Yes I meant UF and yes I think its illegal indoors

·
Registered
15,310 Posts
I think I remember using it once around a 3 season room and my electrican said it was wrong.....Its been a while.

That brown romex made me think of it. Maybe we can get a history lesson here like today yellow is 12 guage and white is 14 maybe then brown was easy to identify as something.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I think I remember using it once around a 3 season room and my electrican said it was wrong.....Its been a while.

That brown romex made me think of it. Maybe we can get a history lesson here like today yellow is 12 guage and white is 14 maybe then brown was easy to identify as something.
Tom... I am not a Sparky either (just a GC).

Sure does not look like UF to me... and I will say I've never seen UF run inside (but it's a shiot load pricier and hard to work with), but I would be interested to know if code actually prohibits it's use inside (have no idea why you would want to use it inside.... quite the opposit).

I can't remember when Romex became color coded (12 and 10 guage maybe 10-15 years ago) but the brown was not an odd color maybe 25 years ago?

Maybe a sparky RS/Fault/480 will clarrify proper names for us.

I do not think Shane has any issue/problem with the type of wire run... yes he knows, and was joking, about the installation issues.

Best

1 - 20 of 27 Posts