Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been doing a lot of homework on deck framing and man-made decking, as stated in my other post.

In my digging I watched this contractor build a few decks on YouTube.

He nailed ribbon & end joists to posts and laid deck boards on. Correct me if I am wrong but aren't you supposed to put joists over beams on top of post ends? (Starting about 2:00)

He had one support in the middle but it was only nailed to the post side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJbhAOuOjeE

He also dumped bags of Quickcrete in dug out hole & poured in water. Then mixed it in the hole itstelf. :)35sec)
That seems off to me.

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
For a Ho build it might have worked but for one little thing.

Gun nails holding the frame together and acting as shear. They will defiantly work out, allow sag and pop out.

He used screw type fasteners attaching the rail detail if the same was used building the frame the project might have had a chance.

Although then it would be ugly longer. Good thing he didn't so the thing will go away sooner.

JonMon www.deckmastersllc.com

·
Ciaos mitigator
1,943 Posts
There is a lot wrong with what he did and a lot of things he could have done to make it easier.
In his comments he did say they used joist hangers and lag bolts, but even lag bolts are not code here, post to beam has to be thru bolts.
The posts didn't seem to have any feet, so they can move around. I am not a fan of having post buried either, they WILL rot. The stairs are in no way code around here. Nailed on 2x4's don't cut it.
That deck is a temporary structure at best.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So as a floorman aspiring to do a HO deck build/reno I assume my guess was on target.

I watched the vid posted here on the family that gathered for a photo and had deck collapse under them. The ribbon was only nailed to the posts and they all sheared off when too many people stood in one spot.

A shame bc this guy seems like he knows his way around tools and carpentry, but just took the lazy way out.

Crazy thing is he has over 400,000 YouTube views!
How many people copied his work?

·
Don
1,322 Posts
so much easier, safer and long lasting to do joist on beam, i never understand people who don't understand the K.I.S.S. theory

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
In his comments he did say they used joist hangers and lag bolts, but even lag bolts are not code here, post to beam has to be thru bolts.
No way. No lags and No Hangers.

Nolags.jpg

nohangers1.jpg

nohangers2.jpg

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
TNTSERVICES said:
No way. No lags and No Hangers.

I was thinking the same thing, and wondering if he did lag it, how did he get the lags past the 35 nails he put in, and why would you put the nails in if it was getting lagged.

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
I was thinking the same thing, and wondering if he did lag it, how did he get the lags past the 35 nails he put in, and why would you put the nails in if it was getting lagged.
I might tack it in place to drill and lag, but never would I put 5 nails in if I were lagging it as he claimed.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts