Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to learn how a remodeling business works. If you are a general contractor, what are the steps involved from; getting a lead to starting the project?

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
Between getting the lead and starting the project?

Sell the project, collect the check, buy a truck, tools, beer, then take a vacation.

·
Banned
901 Posts
I am trying to learn how a remodeling business works. If you are a general contractor, what are the steps involved from; getting a lead to starting the project?
Travel to the courthouse.
Pay the parking meter.
Go to the 7th floor and pay for the permit.
Post the permit.
Start the job.
Finish the job.
Pay everyone.
Borrow money from savings to cover the difference.
Tell wife you are going to get out of construction, this time you mean it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the smart assed answers. I grew up doing all of the trades, and i have been doing remodeling on my own for twelve years, basically just charging for my labor. I am now trying to restructure and be a gc, but i have no idea how it all works because ive always worked on my own without ever having another contractor to compare it to. If you have real answers id appreciate them.
1. Do you spend the time and do a detailed estimate, or do you just do it per sq ft for estimating purposes?
2. How do you get a customer to pay for plans without hiring you yet?
3. Do you get actual bids from all of the subs prior to figuring out job cost and writing the contract?

·
Professional Instigator
6,872 Posts
Thanks for the smart assed answers. I grew up doing all of the trades, and i have been doing remodeling on my own for twelve years, basically just charging for my labor. I am now trying to restructure and be a gc, but i have no idea how it all works because ive always worked on my own without ever having another contractor to compare it to. If you have real answers id appreciate them.
1. Do you spend the time and do a detailed estimate, or do you just do it per sq ft for estimating purposes?
3. Do you get actual bids from all of the subs prior to figuring out job cost and writing the contract?
exactly:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
jwsage;582104 I grew up doing all of the trades said:
Remodeling on your own, labor only.
If you were "on your own", who hired and paid the subs? Who bought the materials? Did you have a license? Who pulled the necessary permits? What area of the country are you in?

Smart-azz answers, yes, but how can we give you good answers?

Derek, throw the switch on the TA, we've got another one....

·
Registered
559 Posts
You grew up in the trades? You have been on your own for twelve years and do not know the difference between a GC an RC, how to do an estimate, sell a job, call a sub. I will give you #2 it took me till my second year to figure that one out.

·
Balding quickly
954 Posts
yeah man Im 21 and I was selling jobs and pulling it off at 18, not always so clean but by 20 I had it wired( as wired as it gets w the crazy people I deal with) I do know how you feel though, sometimes its hard to figure out some of those questions because no one is really willing to answer them I found that even after using this site, it worked better just to eat **** a couple times and I learned real quick.

(Remodel)So you sell your job. Are you going to have employees? Hopefully you are going to sub it out or do some work yourself. This means you pick out your trades if your going to do them. When you are inthe house do a very thorough inspection because your gunna miss something, I write everything on e a legal pad, then take picks and look at it again. Then I call my subs give them numbers, chat it up, then get a price out of them. Then I add those number up. then take however much you think you want to make per day, then calculate how many days it will take you. Be leanient(sp)? Then I add 15% to the top and thats my labor and some materials.(depending on subs and trades) then you price out the remaining materials, then you mark those up what ever you think is right. Add it all up you have your bid. Then make sure they know its and estimate and that it could very easily change depending on which ever variables are there at the time. So leave a clause in your contract for that.

For new homes, I give a round about price sq ft thats slightly high when I have to just give a customer an idea, even though I hate doing it.

Normally i spend my time with the client showing them how I can make what they want happen for a reasonable price, but with quality work. Thats easier said then done, I use references and my website and photos.

If you draft plans your self you just charge for it and let them know if they want you to do that it costs. But many HOs bring plans to me that makes it easy. Otherwise you can hook them up with an architect that you like, or help them find them by other means, I have done this multiple times and not got the project. Thats just how she goes. But I dont take it that far unless I think I have a good chance. Then when I pretty much have an agreement I call some people and get some number, do some crunching and come out with a price.

so now your hired.. Woo hoo. Now pull a permit, and put in some stakes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thats the point, ther were no subs. if someone wanted a kit, or bath remodel i would have them pull the permit and i would do all of the electrical, plumbing, carpentry, drywall , painting and flooring myself. i would look at a job and know how long it would take and mutiply by what i thought was a fair rate. thats why i'm know trying to learn the right way to do things, and actually make a profit.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
thats the point, ther were no subs. if someone wanted a kit, or bath remodel i would have them pull the permit and i would do all of the electrical, plumbing, carpentry, drywall , painting and flooring myself. i would look at a job and know how long it would take and mutiply by what i thought was a fair rate. thats why i'm know trying to learn the right way to do things, and actually make a profit.
Any license or insurance whilst you were doing all the electrical and plumbing and all that?
Good first step is running the job and your business legal across the board.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any license or insurance whilst you were doing all the electrical and plumbing and all that?
Good first step is running the job and your business legal across the board.

Where I live a homeowner can pull permits for electrical and plumbing,

Thats why Im trying to learn how to start using licensed subs, so I can be legal and legit

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Where I live a homeowner can pull permits for electrical and plumbing,

Thats why Im trying to learn how to start using licensed subs, so I can be legal and legit
Legal and legit is the only way to go. Best thing you can do for your business, and first priority.

·
Banned
901 Posts
1.Yes, that is part of your service.
2.You most generally wont need any in residential remod.
3. Sometimes I will bring in one or two but usually I estimate without them because I know the general pricing.

You will need a GC license, liability ins. at the min. Comp. is a must if you have employees.

·
Banned
901 Posts
Also check the section on here for sharing forms. You will need about 99% of them at one time or another.

Get some credit accts set up at the local lumber yards. That will help with your cash flow.

Make sure you stick with your price and be careful not to lower it just to get the work because your slow. Cheaper to sit at home than trying to complete a 20k job when your gettting 15k.

Get 1/2 down if you can, but spend it wisely. I've blown that money in Vegas before and it can be a little tough on the blood pressure.

If you find a good sub make sure you treat him good and pay him quick. They can save your business. Especially elec., plumb., and drywaller.

These tips should get you going.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Like others said, you'll have to sell yourself. Post lots of pictures on your website and use that for your showcase. Put signs on your truck. Get known. Network locally and on the web.
Use the forms you find here. There are going to be lots of little steps that won't even have an effect for 6 months or more. It all adds up.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
You are an unlicensed hack, now you want us licensed guys to teach you how to compete with us?

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
You are an unlicensed hack, now you want us licensed guys to teach you how to compete with us?
No, he wants us to teach him
how to be a straight up guy!

Good info so far, Battleridge is
closest to you so he may actually
have the best feel for where you are.
About prints, never give them to
the HO until they've signed or paid
a fair price for them!
They will shop them around.
You will get screwed, but screwing
yourself should only be part of a circus act.
Forget "square foot", ask yourself
square foot of what?
Closet?
Bathroom?
3 story library with custom
walnut bookcases?

BTW,
You should feel special.
Usually by this time a newbie
would have been ground to
hamburger meat with such a
vague question.