Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Hardhead
362 Posts
Here in Maryland very few builders or HOs are concerned with licenses only insurance. i got more work with cards that had NO license number than I ever did WITH it. Guys come down from PA and do everything from drywall to 3 story decks without a license. Guys come here from Delaware and do the same. Try to work in Delaware without licenses,bonds and county permits for all 3(yeah 3) counties...forget it. Nowdays if you DO have a license here the customer knows you'll want paid like an American and they'll call the hacks or illegals.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Was spending time the other night with someone from the building department. So I started giving him an ear full about this and that. He told me what to do and how to take care of it.

I then said I have better things to do. He egged me on to make the complaint. I told him I just didn't want to anymore.

Although one of my complaints is against a big builder who cuts margins as hard as he can and gets away with following no rules. As well as the use of illegal labor blah blah blah..... The builder is developing lots in my backyard. I've been taking lots of photos over the years and have a big collection. I told him I'll just say nothing or wait till I need some ammo to go after him. My dumpy neighborhood is at odds with certain people because we don't mesh well with th 1.5 million dollar homes next door. He told me they are trying to nail the developer but really can't without people making complaints.

·
Florida GC
376 Posts
I don't care about you guys but after today I am going to become a unlicensed, uninsured hack. Have fun while I undercut you all and get rich doing it :)
LOL have fun starving on negative margin for the craigslist bathrooms!!!! :thumbsup:

·
Old House Mechanic
413 Posts
Failed Effort..

From past experience, it's not worth the effort turning in hacks. Several years ago I had a client who got burned by a hack, for $30,000. They fired the hack, hired me to complete the job. A year later, the hack filed lawsuit against the client asking for the rest of his money as "we had a contract", and filed suit against me "for taking away work from him".

Went to trial, the judge ruled in favor of the hack, and awarded him $100,000 in payments and damages as "a contract is a contract".

I went to trial, and the case against me was dismissed. The hack, who is not licensed, is still operating in the area. I was out for the high costs of hiring an attorney.

I complained to the State and was told "they only pursue action against licensed contractors", so it's a dead end issue. Maybe karma will get these people in the end.

During the trial, the phrase "snitches get ditches" was said to me outside the courtroom, but "it's only words"...

Later..

:sad:

·
Vendor
77 Posts
...but shady contractors hurt everyone in the industry.

...but for the folks who really don't know better (typically the elderly) I feel terrible for them when they get taken by unethical contractors.
I could not agree more! For a lot of elderly on a budget who need a new roof or are trying to sell their house and need renovations to get it up to code, these hacks are seriously hurting people. Especially if those taken advantage of have to pay someone else to fix the work. My father spent his entire life trying to build a good business and good name as a contractor, and he taught me the difference between someone who does a good job and someone who just does a job. Maybe it's my work ethic learned from him but it really gets my craw when I see this stuff happening.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stumbled on this thread from a google search. We are in NYC and our landlord has what we are 99% sure are unlicensed roofing contractors on the roof as I type (we are pretty sure because he cuts corners, used unlicensed workers for other projects, and the guys are in two completely unmarked plain white vans).

We can see the license plate # on one van but there are no other markings. And they may be done today or tomorrow. Is there any point is reporting this to 311? I looked up how to check the license number in NYC but a license PLATE is not good enough.

In the scheme of things it may not matter but we suspect down the road the roof leak will start up again because the work is not being done properly.

Kent

81 - 87 of 87 Posts