Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello im working for a metal sheet company and my boss has asked me to look through our files and obtain numbers from previous contractors we havent worked with since last year. so since im new in all this im really in need of some good ideas to come up with my own script when calling them. i've been reading some posts and i get that we pretty much need to make it short and sweet but yet get our point across. so what i have down for now is obviously my introduction: which is hello (john) my name is ivonn calling from gomez metal experts.
but im not exactly sure what to say to bring up the business and remind them we are still offering our competitive prices giving free quotes to applicable areas and all that good stuff. i really do need help with this not only to impress my boss but to bring up the business and start picking up on jobs because its really slow at the time so any ideas would be great. Thank you! ;)

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Your going to waste your time and most if all everyone you calls time. Which will piss off more then you can gain.

Chances are two things......it's slow for them too or your company screwed up and they use the other guy now.

You want to get more business? Earn it harder then the people your after. Go shake their hand in person and ask if things are good for them and since they bought from you in the past if they are buying from someone else now. What would it take to fix why they no longer use you? Or what would it take to earn their business back. And don't waste their time acting like you may have customers that need the contractors service.........that is just annoying as all get out. Just go ask for the business leave the door open and don't be pushy. We don't need it.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Face time!!! Don't be a spam caller (which is EXACTLY how a cold call is perceived).

When I do cold call meetings, I have the philosophy that you are going to tell me no to my face. It is so much harder for people to do that. And even if they try to tell you no, ask why. This way when you walk out appointment one with a no, you can adjust and come up with counter arguments for meeting number two.

It is an ever evolving beast. Learn from the no's so that you can counter it. If you can come back with an immediate response, you will be surprised at their reaction.

Example: My name is Bill with Rental rehab. We did a few jobs for you last year, then it kinda faded. I just wanted to let you know that I am always looking for more work. I was curious as to why we didnt get a chance* to do more work together.

Wait for reply... The answer is usually one of 3 things. Time, quality, or money. Have an counter response ready for all of these.

Watch their body language. Look them in the eyes. Where are their eyes? Naturally we look around, but watch for excessive lack of eye contact, that means you are losing them.

Look at their lips. Cheery, or frowny stressful rushed? If they look overwhelmed and stress, adjust your pitch to be their answer to their problems. If they are cheery, then be cheery.

How about how they are sitting in their chair? Leaning in on their arms or kicked back in their chair? If their leaning in, you have them. If they are kicked back and relaxing, your losing the battle.

Now if you noticed, I highlighted a few words. I have found that by adjusting that question i get the best most honest results. Let me show you:

I was curious as to why we don't do more work together?

I was curious as to why we haven't done more work together?

See the difference a few words can make? Always analyze every sentence you plan on saying. Adjust it constantly. This is how you close sales without pressure or stress.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I think you would be better off mailing coupons or samples of new products, holiday cards, etc.. I don't want to field cold calls from old suppliers.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I think a few face to face calls will give you a clue---Introduce yourself and ask the big boss why your company lost their business---when you have an idea why,you can address the issues with other customers---

The reasons might vary---if poor service was the issue---fix that--
If they were simply to slow to need your services---let them know you are still around-
If your prices were not competitive---lower your prices--

You get the idea---

·
Registered
819 Posts
their ex customers for a reason.....the focus of the phone call should be about discovering that reason and solving the problem

ive had issues with various suppliers...over all they all S U C K.....i just pick the ones who suck a bit less than the others.....i have suppliers that i have no use for they are so screwed up...

remember some of these customers are on job sites working...they get a phone call, put their tools down just to answer hoping its a customer with a job for them....then they see arrrrggggg its a salesman....i cant stand it when they call me...i say no thanks while they always seem to just keep talking and talking away while i search for the hang up button..

i think what your doing is a good idea....overall.....but dont expect good results with more than 10-20% of them....find out what the problem was....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts