Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a while guys. I'm sure you have all been wondering where your favorite Contractor Talk poster has been.. or your just waiting to cut me down in your own anger.. please don't, it's not nice.

Today I was visited by a clients "Interior Designer", who supposedly is going to be choosing the "right" Hardwood Flooring for her clients home. Based on the specific needs of a contractor or an engineer, is it safe to give the choice of the Hardwood to the "Interior Designer" ?

Although she is an expert on design and "Feung-Shui", is she able to understand the needs of certain species or the use of certain plank widths ?

Is it possible for an interior designer to know what is the best choice Hardwood for a specific type of Room or Area ? (It's not HER field !!)

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,805 Posts
If you give her the same attitude you've demonstrated, you both lose.

On the other hand, if you set your ego aside and find a diplomatic way to help her make a selection that combines your experience with her design intent, then you might find yourself doing regular work with her.

The "I'm-Mr.-Wonderful-Hardwood-Guy" attitude isn't going to win you any favors with her OR the client. Try not to walk in with an attitude and maybe you'll both learn something.

On the other hand, not all designers are ignorant to construction methods. But you'll never know unless you set aside your pre-conceived notions and try to LISTEN to what she's trying to accomplish for the client.

Everyone has their job. She brings the form, you bring the function. She's the artist, you're the brush. If you can't deal with that, I'm sure there are any number of your competitors who would be glad to work with her.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I worked with a designer once.
I found myself impressed with her knowledge of all things construction/remodeling.

·
Registered
4 Posts
got a question for u academy hardwood i got 1/2 ply sub floor with 1/2 particle board im my house im putting in 3/4 oak am i good or do i need to take out particle board

·
Banned
1,887 Posts
particle board is worse than a toliet flushing under hardwood floor..If ya want to redo the floor leave it...If ya want to do it once take it out...Also ya need some kind of moisture barrier under there..

i went and fixed a floor a while back. lady called said the frnch doors wouldnt open. it was a nail down oak floor on the second floor. i go and turn the corner. Imagine a set of french doors with a hydrolic jack under them. The floor buckled so much it shattered the glass inside the doors. After removing the doors and digging intot he floor. they laid the floor right over particle board. and they guys who set the door never even sealed the threshold... particle board is a bad idea under wood

1 - 12 of 12 Posts