1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wall of shame material:

Ceiling Wall Plaster Molding Joint compound

How do you cut this right?

It's a inside 45 to an outside 22.5 spanning 1 1/16.

I can't leave this up...

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I have no idea but it's funny! :laughing:

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Look's more like an inside 90 to an outside 45 spanning 1-1/16" to me. Miter the outside, cope the inside. Butt the small piece to the corner. Cope the long piece on the left. Also looks like the crown is at too flat an angle.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Wall of shame material:

View attachment 116647

How do you cut this right?

It's a inside 45 to an outside 22.5 spanning 1 1/16.

I can't leave this up...
Unless I'm missing something, you cut an inside 45 on the right end of the piece coming into the 90 corner. You cut a piece that is 1 1/16th on the bottom and has an inside 45 on the left hand side and an outside 22.5 on the right hand said. The right piece gets an outside 22.5 on the left end.

This is assuming you are mitering not coping. If coping, the short piece is square on the end and dies in the corner, has a 22.5 on the right side to join the 22.5 on the left end of the other piece.

Then you would cope the right end of the left piece coming into the 90 corner. That's how I would do it because I cope everything.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
txgencon said:
Look's more like an inside 90 to an outside 45 spanning 1-1/16" to me. Miter the outside, cope the inside. Butt the small piece to the corner. Cope the long piece on the left. Also looks like the crown is at too flat an angle.
Thanks!

It is at too much of an angle, I had to match the existing on the far left ( not in the pic).

It is a 90- 45. Was thinking of the cut, sorry.

The problem I'm running in to is that the 90 runs into the 45 and cuts my little piece short...

Is there a way to make the corner and not cut the top off of the 1 1/16 piece?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Xtrememtnbiker said:
Unless I'm missing something, you cut an inside 45 on the right end of the piece coming into the 90 corner. You cut a piece that is 1 1/16th on the bottom and has an inside 45 on the left hand side and an outside 22.5 on the right hand said. The right piece gets an outside 22.5 on the left end. This is assuming you are mitering not coping. If coping, the short piece is square on the end and dies in the corner, has a 22.5 on the right side to join the 22.5 on the left end of the other piece. Then you would cope the right end of the left piece coming into the 90 corner. That's how I would do it because I cope everything.

I mitered it exactly like that.

The problem I'm having is that the top of the piece on the left side, the inside 90, is going past where the top of the far right piece, the outside 45, needs to be.

So, I had to cut off the top of the 1 1/16 piece and had to cut the top of the far right piece, the outside 22.5.

And it looks like crap, so I was wondering what the best way to cut it right is.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
I mitered it exactly like that.

The problem I'm having is that the top of the piece on the left side, the inside 90, is going past where the top of the far right piece, the outside 45, needs to be.

So, I had to cut off the top of the 1 1/16 piece and had to cut the top of the far right piece, the outside 22.5.

And it looks like crap, so I was wondering what the best way to cut it right is.
That's a good point... I'm not smart... wait for one those brilliant fellows to come around and tell you what to do. :laughing:

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
My software collapses the small (1-1/16") dimension if I try to take it down that small, but it seems like there'd still be something left at the top for the small piece. Maybe if you mantain the angle around the corner. I dunno. I'd almost have to mock it up to know for sure.

Attachments

Reactions: Fingersmasher

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Have you even done crown before?

I'm being serious, btw.

It's hard to talk a surgeon out of a bad operation using text through an internet forum. Just sayin' is all I'm sayin.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I going to assume his isn't in a big fancy mansion. If that's the case, I would eliminate that middle piece all together and miter the left to the right.
Run the piece on the right till it hits the other wall. that's your miter point. Miter the left piece to that. Then you can fit a tiny flat triangle piece at the bottom of the inside corner void.......caulk and paint

·
Registered
11,650 Posts
I would run the two long pieces together (take the overall angle, forget about that goofy thing) and cope as necessary. You'll have a hole underneath to fill (flat), but I think that would probably look the best. Yes, it omits the outside corner, but it's already "unusual".

Edit: or build it out to get rid of that thing.

·
Punching above his weight
12,553 Posts
I going to assume his isn't in a big fancy mansion. If that's the case, I would eliminate that middle piece all together and miter the left to the right.
Run the piece on the right till it hits the other wall. that's your miter point. Miter the left piece to that. Then you can fit a tiny flat triangle piece at the bottom of the inside corner void.......caulk and paint
Yeah, this. Ignore that little blip piece. That would take hours to make right and even if you did, it probably wouldn't look good anyway.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts