Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Illinois Roofing License

6K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  jlzoe7777 
#1 ·
Ive read the other older thread on Illinois Roofing Lecense. Ive been calling the Illinois Dept of Financial and Professional Regulation a few times a day for a couple weeks now and getting nothing but busy signals. I finally got through and sat on hold for 20 minutes before I had to hangup as I didnt expect that.

I have a few simple questions:

1) Does anyone know of a better way to contact these people? Ive been using this phone # 782.8556 which is right on the roofing license application.

2) Ive found a testing service online called Continental Testing Services, I had an easier time contacting them - they contend that I first take the test through them and only after I pass it do I worry about application to the IDFPR, with the required insurance and bonding. However the IDFPR website and application do not mention any 3rd party testing and Continental has added cost $216 for the test. Anyone know the cheapest way to go about this? Is it required to use the testing service? Are there advantages/disadvantages?

3) The IDFPR form asks one to indicate the type of ownership (ie Individual, Corporation or Partnership). We are an LLC so I am not sure if this would be considered Individual (as the LLC is owned by an individual) or Corporation (as an LLC is sometimes referred to as a Corporation though I think that is erroneous).

Thanks for any response,
John

See less See more
#2 ·
John, Welcome to CT and welcome to the dysfunctional mess that is the state of Illinois.

PS-Protocol on this site is to introduce yourself, and tell a (very) short summary of what you do. There are lot's of Illinois guys here who may be able to help you.

#3 ·
Ive read the other older thread on Illinois Roofing Lecense. Ive been calling the Illinois Dept of Financial and Professional Regulation a few times a day for a couple weeks now and getting nothing but busy signals. I finally got through and sat on hold for 20 minutes before I had to hangup as I didnt expect that.

I have a few simple questions:

1) Does anyone know of a better way to contact these people? Ive been using this phone # 782.8556 which is right on the roofing license application.

2) Ive found a testing service online called Continental Testing Services, I had an easier time contacting them - they contend that I first take the test through them and only after I pass it do I worry about application to the IDFPR, with the required insurance and bonding. However the IDFPR website and application do not mention any 3rd party testing and Continental has added cost $216 for the test. Anyone know the cheapest way to go about this? Is it required to use the testing service? Are there advantages/disadvantages?

3) The IDFPR form asks one to indicate the type of ownership (ie Individual, Corporation or Partnership). We are an LLC so I am not sure if this would be considered Individual (as the LLC is owned by an individual) or Corporation (as an LLC is sometimes referred to as a Corporation though I think that is erroneous).

Thanks for any response,
John

I guess I`ll take a crack at this...

John, I think I`m one of the most current to take this test...in fact I just got all my application sh!t back over the weekend because I filled out some form incorrectly...anyways:

1. Continental testing is the ONLY way to go to test.

(and after dealing with the Department you can bet thats the easiest less bullchit way.)

Then download application,which you may already have, apply for bonding and send away.

2. Not sure on LLC...read forms carefully or youll get them back (like me)...your insurance guy can help you...chances are you`re not the first roofer hes insuring.

On my surprise package I got tel number :217.7820458

Good luck.

Pete

#5 ·
John,

An LLC IS a corporation. The difference from an S corp is that it can be owned by an individual or partnership. There are obviously other differences, especially with how an LLC is taxed, but it is a corporation.

How is your LLC owned? You say, "We are an LLC" but then say, "the LLC is owned by an individual". It would make a difference on taxation but not how you file your IDFPR form.

Good luck with the process.

#6 ·
Thanks & summary

Thanks for the replies.

For the brief summary - My brother Alex Martirano and I have a small construction company in Champaign-Urbana called Martirano Construction. He is a General Contractor and foreman. We do alot of siding, window replacement, carpentry, some room additions, floor refinishing and more. Obviously we have alot of skilled subs who help us out and we regularly bring together diverse tradespeople to complete a wide variety of jobs. Alex has worked on alot of roofing crews and worked for one of the largest roofing companies in town so we wish to get a roofing license and take a slice of the local roofing business.

We also operate a small rental company and own a few properties. There is an obvious benefit to having the construction skillz in the family for the rental business - however it is a separate business.

Best,
John
cucontractors dotcom
martiranoconstruction dotcom

#7 ·
llc under wikipedia

Sorry for the confusion - the LLC only has one owner who would also be the qualifying party. I finally did reach an operator at IDFPR who after consulting with an IDFPR colleague said to mark the Corporation box which would indicate for practical purposes that I have to also send in our articles of incorporation.

Im no expert - but wikipedia claims that an LLC is an unincorporated association. However - I do remember filing some kind of articles with the LLC application - Ill have to look those up and send them with the application. I dont care as long as the IDFPR has the same thinking when they receive my application that they did when they answered my question.

I cant post URLs but here is the relevant wikipedia text.

"Often incorrectly called a "limited liability corporation" (instead of company), it is a hybrid business entity having certain characteristics of both a corporation and a partnership or sole proprietorship (depending on how many owners there are). An LLC, although a business entity, is a type of unincorporated association and is not a corporation."

John

#8 ·
"Often incorrectly called a "limited liability corporation" (instead of company), it is a hybrid business entity having certain characteristics of both a corporation and a partnership or sole proprietorship (depending on how many owners there are). An LLC, although a business entity, is a type of unincorporated association and is not a corporation."

John
John,

You're not wrong, but you're not right. :laughing:

It all depends on how the LLC was originally set up. This is directly from the IRS:

"The federal government does not recognize an LLC as a classification for federal tax purposes. An LLC business entity must file as a corporation, partnership or sole proprietorship tax return.
An LLC that is not automatically classified as a corporation can file Form 8832 to elect their business entity classification. A business with at least 2 members can choose to be classified as an association taxable as a corporation or a partnership, and a business entity with a single member can choose to be classified as either an association taxable as a corporation or disregarded as an entity separate from its owner, a “disregarded entity.”

#9 ·
llc

Fair enough. I suppose which of those will have a dramatic impact on the tax rate. I setup the LLC via the online forms available this year and we havn't actually filed taxes yet on it so I think its still an open question as the forms neither provided nor requested this distinction.

John

#10 ·
Check their website. www.idfpr.com

Due to state budget cuts you can imagine how over worked they are. They renewed my license late even though we paid 2 months before it was due. YOu can imagine how much of a frenzy i was in. When I contacted them they blamed it on the Governor cutting back. LOL.

Continential testing is not affiliated with IL that I know of and is just trying to sell you on their service. If you pass their test will you still have to take the state exam? If so why bother taking their test in the first place?

I will tell you that most guys I know who have had to take the test do not pass on their first try. Some guys have to take the test 3 or 4 times to pass, and these are guys who have been roofing decades. It took me two tries to pass the unlimited. I will also tell you that the test is broken down basically into 4 seperate tests and if you fail one section you fail the whole test. I aced on section, near perfect, I failed another section by one point. Think it'd average across? Nope. I had to retake. I saw alot of familiar faces on my 2nd try, alot of the same guys I saw on my first try.

If you are an LLC, you'd probably just mark corporation, I don't see the problem, but who knows in a govt agency. Contact your accountant regarding this matter.

#11 ·
Check their website. www.idfpr.com

Due to state budget cuts you can imagine how over worked they are. They renewed my license late even though we paid 2 months before it was due. YOu can imagine how much of a frenzy i was in. When I contacted them they blamed it on the Governor cutting back. LOL.

Continential testing is not affiliated with IL that I know of and is just trying to sell you on their service. If you pass their test will you still have to take the state exam? If so why bother taking their test in the first place?

I will tell you that most guys I know who have had to take the test do not pass on their first try. Some guys have to take the test 3 or 4 times to pass, and these are guys who have been roofing decades. It took me two tries to pass the unlimited. I will also tell you that the test is broken down basically into 4 seperate tests and if you fail one section you fail the whole test. I aced on section, near perfect, I failed another section by one point. Think it'd average across? Nope. I had to retake. I saw alot of familiar faces on my 2nd try, alot of the same guys I saw on my first try.

If you are an LLC, you'd probably just mark corporation, I don't see the problem, but who knows in a govt agency. Contact your accountant regarding this matter.

Continental is the sub handling the roof test for the state..it is the only test you have to take.

The also handled the mason test when I went through a couple months ago.

#12 ·
When I took the test it was a very secure feeling. No cell phones could be used, even for calculators. A moderator checked every calculator to ensure it wasn't some kind of text device. One, or maybe two, photo ID's were required and each ID checked by a moderator before given the exam. They're not playing around. I do recall it was some other agency working under the guidance of the state, however do not recall whom.

Am I understanding you correctly that continental is suggesting you first register with them, take the exam, then register w/ the state? Have you checked w/ the state to see if that's even possible? Would the state accept the exam if you registered w/ them after taking the exam? What continental is suggesting just sounds very backwards.

#13 ·
When I took the test it was a very secure feeling. No cell phones could be used, even for calculators. A moderator checked every calculator to ensure it wasn't some kind of text device. One, or maybe two, photo ID's were required and each ID checked by a moderator before given the exam. They're not playing around. I do recall it was some other agency working under the guidance of the state, however do not recall whom.

Am I understanding you correctly that continental is suggesting you first register with them, take the exam, then register w/ the state? Have you checked w/ the state to see if that's even possible? Would the state accept the exam if you registered w/ them after taking the exam? What continental is suggesting just sounds very backwards.

Now you got it. This is a backwards state.

Register with continental, proctors check id`s, calculators,remove tset from desk if you go to restroom,keep time,recover test after time expires,take test to office and grade,post grades after 1 week or mail to you in 3 weeks.

Then you call insurance agent for bond.

Download application if you havent already done so, fill in app,attach bond (agent will send in anyway) attach all other docs and fee.

Send away.

Wait for them to approve or tell inform you missed something.

No continental, no license.

#14 ·
I am posting for my brother who has roofed for many years, but let his license expire prior to all the new licensing rules for Illinois! Has anyone taken the test recently? If so can you please adivse what needs to be done. I have viewed alot of older post and Im sure there are many changes.

#17 · (Edited)
I've posted on another blog, I'm selling the roofing exam books you'll need to study. I have the complete set in a smoke free home.I'm asking $450.00, like new condition. Call me 262-862-2520, or e-mail me @jlzoe7777@aol.com. I paid over $800.00 last year with shipping.I can send them to you if you pay the postage...Thanks,Joe Onan, Onan Building & Remodeling Services, Inc. I passed, I compiled the info you'll need into a seperate book based on a guide that came with the books.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.