Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking the illinios limited roofing exam on wednesday. Anybody remember some of the questions that could be on the test or some suggestions on what i should be studying with out having to spend hundreds of dollars on books? Anything would help cause i heard the test is tricky...

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
Limited or Unlimited License Test?

Either way, you should have the fundamental knowledge to pass the roofing questions if you have previous and a well rounded background of roofing experience, but you need to study the OSHA safety rules and Sub-Part M for Fall Arrest and also ladder safety rules. Those can get tricky if you didn't read the OSHA Manual.

Ed

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
110 Posts
I'm taking the illinios limited roofing exam on wednesday. Anybody remember some of the questions that could be on the test or some suggestions on what i should be studying with out having to spend hundreds of dollars on books? Anything would help cause i heard the test is tricky...

Dang, aren`t you cutting it close...

I`m taking it too. I`ll try to remember content to help others.

110 Posts
Passed Illinois Roof Exam

Got word this afternoon (online) that I passed the unlimited exam. :thumbup:

Not too many OSHA questions that I remember...one on extension cords.

Many many on steep slope, decking for each, moisture proofing, slate , tile, metal ... flashing for each.

Couple questions on Spray Foam Roofing.

The rest is a blur.

What I used:

Basic estimating questions best studied on
" Roofing Construction & Estimating" by Daniel Acheson ISBN: 1572180072. (chapter 1, pages 5-22).

" Manual of Low Slope Roof Sytems" by Griffin and Fricklas.

OSHA ownloads fron internet (if anyone needs the PDF`s , ask).

This and experience is all necessary IMHO.

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
Great Job for passing the test on your first try. :clap:

Now, what are your plans with starting up a company and in which area will you concentrate? (Both, geographical and expertise wise)

Ed

·
Registered
255 Posts
all i remem back about crap, few years ago... was the first test year....
I would have been grand fathered in but forgot to renew a bond and had to take it... remember there being no questions about actual shingled roofs other than how to measure and bid... needless to say i was pissed when i didnt study and failed. There were soooo many far out questions that i had no hope of passing without buying the study books.... back then it was 200 bucks to take the test and only test dates were months apart... I said to hell with it and never got my lic and ended up doing siding and windows for a while til i moved to AL. I had roofed for nearly 15 years when i failed that test.... boy i was pissd, now look at Rod GOBLO-YA bitc*!!!! Friggin crook. Its not a fair test for the shingle roofer. Not fair, wasnt back then any how. STUDY Bro.... roofings good money.

110 Posts
Great Job for passing the test on your first try. :clap:

Now, what are your plans with starting up a company and in which area will you concentrate? (Both, geographical and expertise wise)

Ed

Thanks Ed,
(sorry it took so long to respond"

I think I`ll go from the "General" part of GC to more specifically concentrate on exteriors.

I recently passed the Chicago brick mason exam and drain layers exam, so maybe wrap it up into : Roofing, Tuckpointing and maybe Concrete ( diff test).

I plan to stay local and try for some larger private and municipal work. ( May need to partner with some good people.:whistling

Also will try to stay away from shingle...not up to fighting "gentlemen from countries other than our own" for scraps. And I refuse to do caca work to compete.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts