Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, i am finishing up this job (15ft drop Foyer and hallway paper & trim).. They come to me as its almost finished and asked me if I was going to start on their mother place next week...
Gasp, wtf do you mean i reply.. lol

They had me estimate their mothers home... a few weeks back... I gave her my price and she didnt like it... Okay, no big deal... moving along now..

I guess I work by ESP now... She didnt like my price and turned me down after my sales pitch etc.. but now shes telling people she is expecting me to start the work next monday...

SOOO... I talk to my customers again and they said to just call her and pretent that something came up (i cant start it next week) and go along with her games and that they will talk to her...

Well, i like old people but this is getting radiculas man... I feel like having her pay for it in full up front(ive never done that before)... Getting the feeling Im going to get burnt on this one...

Anyways, I call the lady to talk about the scope of work again and the price... She asks about canceling the misc small crap and thinks by doing so I should be knocking of a huge chunk of my price...

NAY!

Yeah, this is a small rant... Im not upset, im not invested on this job yet.. Just wanted to share a stupid story...

Old people drive me fkn crazy! They shouldnt get senior discounts.. they should get the hastle fee =) lol:clap:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol... im getting there =)

I still hate old fkrz lol... =)

customers between the ages of 30 and 50 are my bread and butter... Never any problems, always great communication.. and they love to push a beer on me when im done :clap:

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
On a happy note,
when I bought the DIL's
B-day gift, Kohls gave me
a 10% discount. :clap:

A small reward for putting up
with all the aches.....

and smart-ass kids. :laughing:

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
If you got work don't budge an inch on your scope of work. What you spec'd is what needs to be done or you walk. It's a win/win for you. Either you get your price and the quality work that solidifies your reputation or the customer freaks out about how unreasonable or overpriced you are and you find out what you already know; this one is going to be a pain.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Two things worry me now...My customers told me that she likes to tell people "So and so is ripping me off"They also told me that she has a habit of creating things to do off of the scope and feels cheated if its not done...Have an appointment with her this Wed.. Im going over the scope with a fine tooth comb and she WILL know that anything other than the scope will be charged accordingly...Giving a copy of it to her daughter too so that I have an allie if she turns to the dark side and thinks shes going to rake me.. haha

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
As you go over the scope,
have her initial each point
as it's agreed to.

·
vandy
266 Posts
definitely bring her family in on it, but make it seem like it is for grandmas peace of mind and protection. (even though it is for yours!)

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,769 Posts
Contract - Long and detailed, initialed on every aspect. Clauses in there about change orders and extra charges. Make her sign off on everything, all colors and brand names. Anything you can think of that can change or be added to, put it in the contract.

Maybe have the siblings deal with the whole thing and only have the Mom as the idea supplier.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im not worried if I get this job or not.. I will go over the scope in detail with her and if she doesnt like it... NP :thumbsup:, i will walk. I do not aim to win every job i bid. Im fair and in business to make a living, not to struggle. Id rather spend my time on other things than dance around 1 customer that will reduce my earnings and potentially trash talk me just for ****s and giggles... Man, you should have heard her rant about her last painter, it scared me LOL...

Heck, i might send her to 4th Gen painting... JK!!! man:laughing:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts