Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a porch roof that I am bidding replacing/re framing it all. I't a very low slope maybe 2-3. IKO's Roof fast came up at the lumber yard as a perfect product for this application. I have never used it and can't find many reviews either good or bad online.
I'm just looking for some real world experience with it for the Northeast.
FYI, it's 6.5' wide and 60' long if that makes a difference. It ends into the eave of main roof. It will have all new sheathing and the recommended underlayment if I use it.
If you don't think this is the product to use do you have any other recommendations?
I could always use double coverage, I think EPDM will be cost prohibitive.
thanks,
dave

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
IDK about IKO's specifically but we have used GAF's Liberty and Certainteed's SA rolls a few times.

One thing I would suggest is use a nail base for the first ply, that way you can get the roof off when ever it needs to be done again.

If you did a nail base, a S/A base and a cap sheet, the roof would last a good long time, a nail base and a cap sheet would be fine too. Just watch the details. Most manufactures have PDF's on the web sites for details.

An EPDM roof of this size depending on details would be about same amount of money as the "3 ply" system nail base,S/A Base and the cap.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for taking the time to respond, I will look into other brands.

I was planning on using the nail sheet layer.

I have read all about IKO shingle law suites. I did not find any derogatory information about the Roof fast.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts