Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd be more than happy to help. I'm building a house so I've been asking a lot of questions in various sections but I also want to be able to contribute. So, if I can be of any help feel free to ask!

GT

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
What experience do you have, what products do you use? Any cool projects?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What experience do you have, what products do you use? Any cool projects?
I've been doing Wi-Fi and networking since 2001. My main focus is on Wi-Fi but a person has to be pretty good at networking to do Wi-Fi.

I've done about any type of Wi-Fi project a person can imagine. On the indoor side, home all the way to major enterprise. Simple one AP outdoor to full on WISP (Wireless Internet Service Provider).

Credential wise, I'm CWNE (Certified Wireless Networking Expert) #21 of about 130 in total as of right now.

Hope that helps!

GT

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I've been doing Wi-Fi and networking since 2001. My main focus is on Wi-Fi but a person has to be pretty good at networking to do Wi-Fi.

I've done about any type of Wi-Fi project a person can imagine. On the indoor side, home all the way to major enterprise. Simple one AP outdoor to full on WISP (Wireless Internet Service Provider).

Credential wise, I'm CWNE (Certified Wireless Networking Expert) #21 of about 130 in total as of right now.

Hope that helps!

GT
Are you a wisp?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you a wisp?
No, I've built one about a decade ago and work with one locally when they need help.

For employment I work for a Wi-Fi manufacturer but I'm not here to push their products. I'd just like to help if I can.

GT

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
No, I've built one about a decade ago and work with one locally when they need help.

For employment I work for a Wi-Fi manufacturer but I'm not here to push their products. I'd just like to help if I can.

GT
Ubiquity? Cisco? Ruckus?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Yeah; I actually put that deal together. It is pricy for the home market but affordable considering our enterprise competitors.

GT
Excluding ubiquity...

·
Registered
732 Posts
Ruckus isn't exactly competitive either, maybe outdoor, but enterprise at this point is really a 2 vendor game, Cisco and Aruba. Moto is still out there with lots of OEM deals, and still popular with retail due to the Symbol acquisition. There are plenty of smaller players like Juniper, Entarasys/Extreme, Aerohive, etc, but only Cisco and Aruba have the end to end solution for both wired and wireless access control as well as MDM integration.

For home use, Ubiquity is a great value and performs quite well. I have a UAP-PRO per floor inside and an Outdoor AP as well. Still have a few Cisco's around as well, but too complex for home use and it wasn't worth replacing them as they are getting older.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
They aren't an enterprise competitor. :)

GT
The only thing that holds them back is the 4 SSID limit, and the product doesn't have the horsepower to support anymore. Ruckus supports 7 correct?

I'm curious, what the largest deployment you have?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You are very knowledgeable about the Wi-Fi market.

Moto is getting out of the business; they've been shopping their WLAN division out the last 6 months or so.

Ruckus is #3 in the market with about 6% of the Enterprise market. Not huge and I agree that Cisco and Aruba are the larger players.

A different market, service providers Ruckus is a close #2 to Cisco. The rest of the enterprise players don't even play there.

For home use, Ubiquiti is fine. They play very well in WISP and small home market. Where they have serious limitations is in high-density which is one of the most important aspects of enterprise Wi-Fi.

GT

Ruckus isn't exactly competitive either, maybe outdoor, but enterprise at this point is really a 2 vendor game, Cisco and Aruba. Moto is still out there with lots of OEM deals, and still popular with retail due to the Symbol acquisition. There are plenty of smaller players like Juniper, Entarasys/Extreme, Aerohive, etc, but only Cisco and Aruba have the end to end solution for both wired and wireless access control as well as MDM integration.

For home use, Ubiquity is a great value and performs quite well. I have a UAP-PRO per floor inside and an Outdoor AP as well. Still have a few Cisco's around as well, but too complex for home use and it wasn't worth replacing them as they are getting older.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
How does Xirrus compare?

Although Ubiquity is a little feature lacking it preforms incredibly well in every install thus far. I still haven't put in any large installs, but thus far I'm REALLY impressed (Never surpassed 3VLANS & 1 guest portal).

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The only thing that holds them back is the 4 SSID limit, and the product doesn't have the horsepower to support anymore. Ruckus supports 7 correct?

I'm curious, what the largest deployment you have?
That's far from the only thing that holds them back. :) I don't want to turn this into a vendor bashing thread; they are a large company that plays well in very specific markets.

Ruckus supports 32 SSIDs but that's only because our carrier customers require it. Anything over 4 in a deployment is ridiculous due to the beacons taking up too much airtime.

Largest deployment? We have 180,000 APs for one customer in Japan. We have the largest mesh network in the world (about 70,000 APs). We also have deployments for the city of San Jose (silicon valley) and San Francisco.

GT

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How does Xirrus compare?

Although Ubiquity is a little feature lacking it preforms incredibly well in every install thus far. I still haven't put in any large installs, but thus far I'm REALLY impressed (Never surpassed 3VLANS & 1 guest portal).
Oh goodness... Xirrus is a huge can of worms to open there. :) That's a very long discussion but the short of it is... they have been in business for a very long time and they aren't really even on the enterprise map and there is a technical reason for that.

What separates large enterprise products from the rest is high density. For home units, you'll see good performance up to about 5 connected devices. Enterprise products need to be at least 50 simultaneous connections and even much higher. For example, we do a lot of public Wi-Fi deployments where over 200 devices (400 per AP) are connected. Performance won't be that high for each user but the AP will keep on trucking.

GT

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
I'd be more than happy to help.
Let's say that I installed a hotspot and I want it to redirect to another page, (like an agreement page) every time someone logged in. Sort of like how they do in hotels, coffee shops, etc..where you connect to their wifi, go to google and then it redirects to website where it says, "You must click on "agree" according to these terms blah-blah-blah etc." before you can go to any other website.

Also, can I do this with my Linksys WRT54G router or do I need something else?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Let's say that I installed a hotspot and I want it to redirect to another page, (like an agreement page) every time someone logged in. Sort of like how they do in hotels, coffee shops, etc..where you connect to their wifi, go to google and then it redirects to website where it says, "You must click on "agree" according to these terms blah-blah-blah etc." before you can go to any other website.

Also, can I do this with my Linksys WRT54G router or do I need something else?
Holy crap Ted he's not here to answer grade school questions. Hahhahah

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
That's far from the only thing that holds them back. :) I don't want to turn this into a vendor bashing thread; they are a large company that plays well in very specific markets.

Ruckus supports 32 SSIDs but that's only because our carrier customers require it. Anything over 4 in a deployment is ridiculous due to the beacons taking up too much airtime.

Largest deployment? We have 180,000 APs for one customer in Japan. We have the largest mesh network in the world (about 70,000 APs). We also have deployments for the city of San Jose (silicon valley) and San Francisco.

GT
Nothing about vendor bashing, I just like as honest response. Feel free to sell me on your product, just keep your answers truthful and avoid posting links.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts