Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Nail-Bender
4,603 Posts
I wish I had the money to go to university for engineering and do carpentry on top of that.

But, hey, it is what it is...

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I wish I had the money to go to university for engineering and do carpentry on top of that.

But, hey, it is what it is...
Borrow money...or go part time.

·
Nail-Bender
4,603 Posts
Borrow money...or go part time.
It's what I wanted to do, but when I found that I wouldn't have the money, I stopped taking all the prep math classes in high school. You need all this math education that I don't have.

Yea, I could go back and retake all that. I dunno, I can work with what I got, or improve. Who knows where I'll be.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I think a lot of this depends on things other than your work, and how you feel about those other things depends on your work.

If you are happy in your career, it may be a **** job and you are satisfied with your family, etc.

Conversely, if you are unhappy with your career, it may be because of the other parts of your life.

All sorts of things are possible. If you piss away all of your money, you may earn well and still think that you don't make enough money and therefore be unsatisfied with your job.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Well I would have pursued an electrical apprenticeship straight out of school, but then I wouldnt have been mature enough and probally too soft for the work. I nearly went into structural steel before this apprenticeship fell into my lap and Im glad it did, after doing data for 4 years Im getting paid a tradesmans wage and get a van for personal use so Im incredibly lucky and wouldnt change a thing.

·
Super Moderator
28,889 Posts
The only other field I would of been interested in is the oil field, probably drilling.

I thought about being a cop, but I chose construction.

·
Registered
15,297 Posts
How could you say glad you didnt chose to be a cop. My nieghbor growing up was the same age as me. 43 He retired last month with more money from his annual pension than I make a year. 90k Plus bennies, plus a second job..

·
Super Moderator
28,889 Posts
How could you say glad you didnt chose to be a cop. My nieghbor growing up was the same age as me. 43 He retired last month with more money from his annual pension than I make a year. 90k Plus bennies, plus a second job..
Not my bag. Too much of a control freak to have someone else deciding when I work and where.

90k is pretty good, most cops down here dont make anywhere near that. The chief of our hometown PD (Pop. 6k) makes two thirds of that.

You can certainly make better money in business for yourself if you do it right and the economy stays halfway stable. Just have to hustle and work on growth.

90k guaranteed money is pretty damn good. With a little luck and a lot of hard work I hope my rental properties make me more than that though.

I also control my life in every aspect. Cant be said for an employee.

·
Registered
15,297 Posts
Not my bag either. I remember when these guys were rookies and making 40k a year and I was killing it. Last year they were making annual salaries of 150k per year with a retirement pension of 90k. Now they are out. My tile guys retired 2 years ago. Always enjoying a boat while some kid employee are laying tile.

Me...still breaking my back working the next hustle wages and profits stagnant

·
Super Moderator
28,889 Posts
I might be singing a different tune in 20 years. Who knows.

·
Super Moderator
28,889 Posts
150k??

That dude a high ranking officer?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts