Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a hunch for a while and it has come up here from time to time, that general contractor sites have a great oppertunity to create a lot of traffic around their sites through the many different services they offer.

It has come up that some GC sites simply dont rank very well and while I bip and bop through some of the serps to check the comp, there are NEVER any PR5 sites that come up. That is to say there are not any sites that I feel own "it", let alone 6 or 8 or 10 sites for the whole front page.

So my advise from time to time has been that perhaps the roofing or windows or siding, or decks....whatever it is , it needs its own site as the information cannot be organized in a manner that google will re-enforce the entire site's theme with all the many sub themes even though they are all in construction.

Anyhow, ive been trying to wrap my brain around this topic called Siloing, I suggest anyone who finds this "stuff" interesting to read it.

http://www.bruceclay.com/seo/silo.htm

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know seo assessments are expensive, maybe not so much for our little sites, but it is conceivable that a large contractor site could cost a grand or 2 for a review. Give Matthew from the other thread a big hug if you had him do a report. :)

While the types of problems we encounter are numerous, the SEO Site Assessment Service helps the business identify the root of problems and how they improve their site and get it well ranked. Although there are several deliverables, the primary deliverable is a highly detailed and entirely custom written report called a SEO Site Assessment Report. Typically these normal reports range from 60 to 200 pages discussing the findings and concludes with a prioritized list based on the business goals and constraints. Large complex sites often exceed 200 pages and can take 200 hours to produce. SEO cost for the Site Assessment is negotiated based upon project complexity but is generally between $20,000 and $50,000.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
So speaking about siloing specifically for a site with many services. This is how I would approach it, but I could be wrong :)

You have a home page with funnels for something like residential, commercial, renovations, decks, roofs ect. What ever is a completely separate service gets its own funnel. Then you have sub services off those. Roof repairs, flat roofs, metal roofs ect. Then you produce 10 articles pertaining to each service and sub service and toss a link to that service page only in the article plus home page links in general as that is where your funnel URLs are getting most of the home page juice. In those 10 articles you interlink between them and not to other blog posts or articles for separate services.

If you are using the plugin Related Posts I would make sure it doesnt disrupt your interlinking. It should pull related posts with the same tags, so dont cross tag and it should be fine.

So if you have a total of 10 services you need 10x10 articles and posts.

I may have to go back and clean up some categories but I think im all in all ok for my small site.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
So now how do we rank all these services pages, as just the on site may not be enough? Well you take your 5 best main services and create a off site blog for only that service. You come up with 10 articles to publish at once then you obtain another 1 per month for the rest of the year you set up to auto publish with different times of the day and days of the month.

So now you have 5 off site blogs with good content, your not making freakin spam your making branded sites in lateral communities to reach out to.

I did it with 3 blogs and I rank for every single keyword I want to. Actually I had one slip to position 18 or something like that, and I simply went in and added it to the last post I made and its 4th now. My 3 just had their 2 year birthdays the other day. 2 of them have PA of 40....

If your in a city and after all this cannot rank your site then you need something else but that is for another day.

·
We Repair Garage Doors
274 Posts
interesting, as i have been siloing for long time. sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Best way to get those other keywords is to get them in your reviews, nuf said.

·
Registered
529 Posts
For contractors that offer a lot of different services we usually start their site with a logical structure. Roofing services, under the roofing tab, Siding under the siding tab, Remodeling under the Remodeling tab etc... Then it's easy to keep building out in the future.

If you are using Wordpress then you can switch on multi-site and then actually create several different websites for each service all managed under one dashboard. With the right plugin they can all be run on different hosting and domains too. (ideally each sub site would be on it's own hosting).

You can use identical themes for each site/service but the content on each site would be centered around one particular service. 10-20 pages at least for each silo and you'd probably start to see some positive results. Considering most contractors have sites less than 10 pages and try and cover 30 or more services, lol.

Doing it this way is a lot of work for someone to do (way more than mentioned here) but is a very worthwhile online marketing strategy for someone with the time and money to pursue.

It's never a bad thing to have more web pages (with good content) about your services than your competitors have on theirs.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ahh I never looked at it that way Carl. Its yet another reason for a real web guy :)

·
Registered
529 Posts
Ahh I never looked at it that way Carl. Its yet another reason for a real web guy
There are a ton of really cool WP multisite implementations out there.

Very interesting...I'm taking notes
Looking at your site you need to break down your services into more content. At least a page for every service you offer to start.

If you have a 30-40 page website and your competitors all have 5 page websites, who's taking up more real estate in search?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ive implemented this idea and have a question about domain names would I be better off using my company name reinerremodeling and add the service like decks.com or a domain name that has nothing to do with my company like buffalodecks.com or buffalo handyman service.com for each separate website. Also for each seperate blot I write for each service could I link to both my subsite and my main site or should I just link to one and if so which one.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think you should work on the site in your sig. It needs more services and better blog posts.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You can add more services any time you want. You can also add more blog posts, so start writing. I write mine, good or bad. You could also reach out to someone who writes to do some of this for you. Its my worst nite mare this writing blog post nonsense but it works.

·
Every now and then poster
13,436 Posts
I quick note I attempted this and actually saw an immediate decrease in rank. You have to be very careful with too many inter page links. Every additional hyper link devalues the others exponentially.

I think the way Carl sets his sites up is the best case approach for the time being..

If you want to invest in long term seo, get involved in G+ NOW! Author rank is going to happen and the people who are established will have a head start which will be tough for the competition to catch up to.

There is a virente tool where you can check yours hypothetically ofcourse since it doesn't officially exist yet. I got a 5.92..

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What did you do?

Yes you can mess up how your PR , trust, or authority flows in your site. You generally want it to funnel to your best converting pages, no to splinter into millions of different directions.

PR sculpting is a result of proper silos and will only make your site stronger.

What will make your site fractured is cross linking unrelated blogs and pointing links from blog posts to unrelated pages.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
pr isnt being updated but it isnt dead. Google still places a value on pages they just stopped announcing it, thats why we use other tools now, these only attempt to interpret the value Google places on a page.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts