Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was asked this question on a test last week and I though I gave a pretty productive response. I wanted to find out what some of you would have said, here is the question:

IF A CONTRACTOR HELD A CODE OF ETHICS: GIVE 3 REASON WHY IT WOULD BE BENEFICIAL TO THE CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY, 3 REASONS WHY IT WOULD BE A HARDSHIP TO THE INDUSTRY, AND 3 TENANTS WOULD SHOULD BE ON IT.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I was asked this question on a test last week and I though I gave a pretty productive response. I wanted to find out what some of you would have said, here is the question:

IF A CONTRACTOR HELD A CODE OF ETHICS: GIVE 3 REASON WHY IT WOULD BE BENEFICIAL TO THE CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY, 3 REASONS WHY IT WOULD BE A HARDSHIP TO THE INDUSTRY, AND 3 TENANTS WOULD SHOULD BE ON IT.
WOW! AWESOM POST! :notworthy
Scary to think that further education MIGHT get one to ACTUALLY think! :wallbash:

Beneficial
1) The consumer would ALWAYS receive the HIGHEST quality product
2) The most experienced subs would be on the job
3) The negative stigma of construction workers would dissipate

Hardship
1) Prices would go up
2) Unemployment rate would go up
3) If the number of those NOT adhering to the code of ethics was LARGER than those who did it would give exposure and the misconception that ALL construction workers are douschebags.

Tenants ( I ain’t had so much formal edumacation to know the exact meaning of this :huh:but I reckin’ I’ll try):sweatdrop:
1) Must conduct oneself with the UTMOST professionalism on AND off the clock.
2) Must be drug AND alcohol free at work and willing to submit to random testing.
3) MUST be tolerant and considerate of ALL trades when scheduling conflicts arise.
(this might be a subset of #1)

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
WOW! AWESOM POST! :notworthy
Scary to think that further education MIGHT get one to ACTUALLY think! :wallbash:

Beneficial
1) The consumer would ALWAYS receive the HIGHEST quality product
2) The most experienced subs would be on the job
3) The negative stigma of construction workers would dissipate

Hardship
1) Prices would go up
2) Unemployment rate would go up
3) If the number of those NOT adhering to the code of ethics was LARGER than those who did it would give exposure and the misconception that ALL construction workers are douschebags.

Tenants ( I ain’t had so much formal edumacation to know the exact meaning of this :huh:but I reckin’ I’ll try):sweatdrop:
1) Must conduct oneself with the UTMOST professionalism on AND off the clock.
2) Must be drug AND alcohol free at work and willing to submit to random testing.
3) MUST be tolerant and considerate of ALL trades when scheduling conflicts arise.
(this might be a subset of #1)
1...Off the job? Kinda' harsh and impossible to enforce or expect anyone to make it.
2...Define drug. I'm on enough LEGAL drugs to keep me off work forever but they are LEGAL.
3...Only if it's a screw up not on their part.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
1...Off the job? Kinda' harsh and impossible to enforce or expect anyone to make it.
2...Define drug. I'm on enough LEGAL drugs to keep me off work forever but they are LEGAL.
3...Only if it's a screw up not on their part.
1) Why should ETHICAL behaviour be "harsh" off the job? As an employee OR owner your behaviour is judged in the public eye and with potential customers. If an owner wants to keep his business profitable and an employee wants to stay employed this should be a no brainer! and the question was NOT if it was hard to enforce but WHAT should it be. Enforcing ethics on OR off the job when someone isn't being watched well DUH!:blink: yeah it's hard. But if you can't trust someone why employ them?

2) APPARENTLY legal drugs cloud the brain's ability to know that ILLEGAL drugs are what tox screening is intended to show and employers abide by. That's why they have you fill out a form and list your scripts!:rolleyes:

3) SCREW UPS HAPPEN! NO ONE is 100% perfect ALL the time. Tolerence and understanding help the trades and jobsite function PROPERLY! Multple mistakes can be adressed as they happen! BLASTING some one physically or verbally SLOOOOWWWWSSSSS down the WHOLE Process!

The 5 minutes it takes to discuss how to rectify a situation escalates into grown men acting like third graders and who's turn it is at kickball!:eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts