Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Idiots that dont want to help people on here

WHY do people make fun out of some less experienced people looking for advice on here.IT seems like that just want to act like the know it all guy.Lets help people on here and stick together not make fun out of them.Im sure those people will give me a sarcastic reply lets see shall we!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
399 Posts
No sarcasm here.......My response simply put is often a silly question doesn't demand a serious answer.

A lot of the time guys get on here and ask questions that can't be answered such as "What should I charge per hour?" when the real question should be, "How do I figure out how much to charge per hour?" The question appears the same, however, the second question inquires about a process that can be explained, while the first is simply asking for a magic number.

Phrase the question appropriately, and more likely than not, the answers will follow suit. Guys on here do want to help, but we're not going to entertain half hearted attempts to bypass the process of learning.:thumbsup:

·
Eater of sins.
4,687 Posts
Come on man, we are all a part of an open forum with hard working and playing construction guys. Everyone of whom has had fun made of them at the job site or made fun of others.

This is just the nature of the beast here.

BTW a question that starts out with WHY as the first word usually ends with a question mark and try using the space key between sentences.

Just yanking your chain man.

Andy.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
WHY do people make fun out of some less experienced people looking for advice on here.
Simply put, this is not a contractor advice site for the world at large. The majority of posters you are talking about have less than 5 posts total. They log on here to ask a question, usually regarding a situation they've gotten themselves into (or they're a HO trying to weasel pricing out of real contractors), when they get their answer, they vanish.

Guys who spend regular amounts of time on here have little patience for these drive-by posters because they add NOTHING to this forum. Those of us who've learned the hard way (more than once) aren't usually interested in paving the way for some schmuck trying to learn to be a GC by reading a couple of posts on the interwebs.

Make a little more sense now?

Mac

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
A little razzing of newbies online reminds me of being the new kid on a jobsite. Those cranky old guys screwed my lunch box to the deck... when I noticed it was stuck to the floor, I did not open the lunch box and look for 3" deck screws run through the bottom... I just yanked harder... tore the handle right off the box.:rolleyes:

Sometimes we should look closer at the situation, rather than applying brute force. We often overreact and just make things worse.

Perhaps this applies to the cyberworld too.:party:

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
6,382 Posts
Ok, you want to ask a question, but you don't want to get made fun of since you're new.

Well, what's the question?

Seriously tho, I think Mac spelled it out, other than that most folks that get made fun of deserve it for one reason or another.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
WHY do people make fun out of some less experienced people looking for advice on here.IT seems like that just want to act like the know it all guy.Lets help people on here and stick together not make fun out of them.Im sure those people will give me a sarcastic reply lets see shall we!:thumbsup:
This is a site for contractors, not wannabe contractors and homeowners trying to figure out how to get over on their contractor, or trying to get advice on how to do it themselves.

Have you ever been on a jobsite with other trades or do you work by yourself?

Contracting isn't for girly men, if you can't take crap, you are in the wrong business.

BTW many people who ask questions that get sarcastic answers are asking stupid questions and it is their 1st post.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,785 Posts
So far, I have yet to ask a question & not got an answer. Have I some smart assed answers? You bet, but that's just part of it. There's smartasses where ever ya go. Got two choices, show a little game & give it right back or just ignore em. To me, it's a lot more fun to sling the chit right back at em.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
This is the emo board? I didn't know that?!? Welcome to the real world. Mommy and Daddy aren't here to coddle you any longer.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Well thought out questions from real contractor types can be seen brighter than Rudolf's nose. They will usually get the needed answers before they get any razzing or detours into the land of silly.

That is the most important thing to me about this site. The info is there, you just have to care enough about who is in the room and what type of behavior is appropriate before you bust in and blurt out some half baked question. Much like any social setting in your real life.

I personally take offense to some of the more extreme razzing that seems to be spawned from anger. Especially when it's a young guy trying to find his way in the trades. We don't need to beat on a guy for asking a simple question that relates to his trade. I'll stand up for that guy every time.

But if there is no clean fun here I'll be the first one to leave.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
He11, hanging out with a bunch of smart a55 contractors is what attracted me to this site ...
Me too, then I realized that there is still a bunch of guys out there that still give a rat about the trades. I was starting to think it was the end of the road for guys who want to build it right. Still in all, I prefer a mix of shop talk and stone crushing.:laughing:

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
When it is clear that it is someone doing something they are way under qualified to do,be it a HO or a "contractor",they usually get what they deserve.
On the other hand if a new guy in the trades needs help or a fellow contractor has a problem there is no better place for them to turn than CT.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts