Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Young-Guy Framer
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With the year of 2013 quickly approaching its end, I figured it'd be a good time to recap the dumbest things we've seen on the job site this past year. I'd like you all to submit the single biggest act of stupidity you've seen (or done), and nominate the person(s) involved for "Idiot of the Year."

I'll start by nominating myself.

Earlier today, I was giving measurements for rim board to our cut guy. After realizing one of the pieces he brought me was a cut-off instead of my measurement, I went to the saw to retrieve my piece.

I didn't quite make it.

Just an hour earlier, the pile truck had been on the site and dug a bunch of 15 foot deep holes for the garage foundation. Anyone who's ever seen an episode of Bugs Bunny probably already knows where this is going…. All of a sudden, I take a step, and my foot doesn't hit the ground. I somehow managed to mangle myself so I fell completely into the hole. Thankfully I caught myself before hitting the bottom. After a few seconds of wondering why the ground was now above my head, I realized what I had done and attempted to scramble out of the hole without anyone noticing.

At the same instant as my dramatic re-serfacing, my boss, the concrete guys, and the foreman all walk to the front of the garage to see me emerging from the depths of framing hell. All four individuals have identical looks of confusion on their face. The awkward silence is broken by my boss asking "Did you just fall in the hole??!!?" My response of scowling, grabbing my piece of rim board and getting back to work likely answered the question to all of members present.

So who else has a good one?

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
I have story a lot like yours. Back in August, we did a deck. 15 24" holes 4' deep. Concrete truck could actually get to the basic area but could only fill 4 or 5 holes. So he fills what he can then the wheel barrels come out. I had this 18 year old working for me, he fills up goes and dumps and on his way back falls right into a hole filled with concrete, all the way to his nipples, so I start dying laughing, look over and the concrete guy is dying. So the kid goes and hoses off and gets back to work. About 5 loads later he steps in the same hole :laughing: not as bad but still funny.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,054 Posts
At the same instant as my dramatic re-serfacing, my boss, the concrete guys, and the foreman all walk to the front of the garage to see me emerging from the depths of framing hell. All four individuals have identical looks of confusion on their face. The awkward silence is broken by my boss asking "Did you just fall in the hole??!!?" My response of scowling, grabbing my piece of rim board and getting back to work likely answered the question to all of members present.

So who else has a good one?
Did you tell him no , you where just check the bottom of the hole out. :laughing:

·
Designer/Contractor
5,454 Posts
Saw a guy unclogging a trap under the sink who carefully put a bucket under the trap, disconnected the trap, dumped the funky water into the bucket, got up bringing the bucket with him, starting talking about something, glanced down at the bucket he was holding with the funky water and poured it down the same drain.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Saw a guy unclogging a P trap under the sink who carefully put a bucket under the trap, disconnected the trap, dumped the funky water into the bucket, got up bringing the bucket with him, starting talking about something, glanced down at the bucket he was holding with the funky water and poured it down the same drain.
I''ve seen someone do that.

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
Rio said:
Saw a guy unclogging a trap under the sink who carefully put a bucket under the trap, disconnected the trap, dumped the funky water into the bucket, got up bringing the bucket with him, starting talking about something, glanced down at the bucket he was holding with the funky water and poured it down the same drain.
Who HASN'T done that?

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
This was really stupid and idiotic-

Last week I (ok, disclaimer: I'm not a plumber but I did do some plumbing last week. Stop reading here if you can't handle that) installed a drop-in tub on a bath remodel. Owner calls me that night, and says that the motor won't come on, which was crazy cause I tested it and it worked before we dropped it in the hole. I told her the breaker probably didn't get turned back on and I would fix it in the morning.

Sure enough, next day I go out and it's not working. Breaker is on. So I disconnect the drain and overflow, cut the silicone around the edge, and lift it up. Apparently, the little nipple on the air switch had gotten broke when we set it in place. I was able to fix it, and set it back down in place. I should mention that I was also was BS'ing with the granite guys, and even helped them carry in a heavy slab for the vanity top, so I was kind of hit and miss working on the tub.

As I was putting the faucet handles and spout back on, I realized I was missing a handle. I knew I had just taken it off, so it had to be somewhere. I looked freaking everywhere until I had the sinking realization that it had fallen into the hole for the tub. I even vaguely remembered something falling in while I was working on it, but not paying any attention.

So, I unhooked the drain again, lifted the tub back up, and went to looking for my missing handle. It wasn't there. Impossible, it has to be here. So I looked again.

Nope. Not there. I'm baffled at this point, and as I sit down on the edge of the tub deck to contemplate, I see the freshly installed vanity top. Which wasn't there when I had taken the handles off. So I open the top vanity drawer, and there is my stupid handle. I set it there when I went out to help them carry in the granite and then covered it up when we set it in place.

So I had to clean off a ton of half dried silicone, set the tub for the second time that day, drive to Depot for another tube of white silicone, and explain to the owners why I'm such a dumbass...

All in all, one of those days that would make me suicidal if I didn't have a sense of humor.

·
Vendor
39 Posts
Maybe not the idiot of "this" year, but back when I started out on a framing crew, big wigs, archy,and ho, all on site one Fri morning in the middle of Feb.

I was straightening out plates for first floor walls above walk out, went to smack toe nailed plates back on to a snapped line, missed the plate altogether,feet came out from under me on the snowy deck, did a cartwheel in the air, fell nine feet in to the pile of snow we had just cleared front the deck that morning, all in front of big wigs, archy,and ho.
:laughing:

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
Back in the day when I was an assistant sup, we had a weekly safety meeting on a large commercial project. The sup usually did the meetings, but one day he tells me to do it, and gives me the agenda to talk about.

When it's time for the meeting, everybody is gathered on the ground in the designated location, probably 100 guys. I am on the second floor and coming down a ladder to the ground, with everybody watching. I get to about the 3rd rung from the bottom and lose my footing, fall to the ground and land on my ass.

Silence

I get up slowly, dusting myself off and say " first topic is ladder safety"

Laughter lasted way longer than it should have and some of the guys still talk about that one to this day.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Was doing a 2'nd floor addition a couple years ago.. Had taken the whole roof/ceiling off (4 walls and blue sky).

Long day of framing and rolling floor joist and had some energy left to start decking it.

Got the first course down and was starting to roll, had a helper run ahead with the glue. Dropped a sheet and needed to kick it back tight. Totally forgot the glue, stepped out onto a joist and slipped right through..

Caught myself with one arm and my rib cage. Covered with PL and sore as hell.. Time to call it good for the day:laughing:

Reactions: mudpad

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
shhh! ...... Just a few days ago ...shhh!!! I'm working on an addition and there's window patches in the house So i'm in and out from the addition to the patches I've got the house to myself so I thought ! When I walk into the upstairs bedroom The H/O is standing there in her bra and sweat pants:eek: I could hear her laughing when i was high tailing it for the adddition...lol! That was 3 days ago ..When I showed up this morning I could tell by the old man's manner she didn't tell him.

I haven't seen her yet . That should be awkward ...:blink:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.