Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for your amusement - We're starting a major reno in a couple weeks.

Yesterday I got the drawings for a full washroom in the bsmt. There is to be a pocket door which slides into the wall behind the vanity :laughing: What plumbing vent?

There is an existing major heat duct running across the ceiling (which needs to be re-located) the 'designer' says just paint it. What about a ceiling? Any concerns with humidity and mildew? :laughing:

Drawings are coming next week for the rest of the job. I can only imagine.

Idiots that I have to deal with. Sure wish I could fire her.:thumbup:

This could get ugly, as diplomacy is not my best virture.

·
Designer/Contractor
4,805 Posts
You get more flies with honey than with vinegar. Why don't you go over the issues and point out the shortcomings and encourage her to do a more thoughtful job in the future..........................

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
You get more flies with honey than with vinegar. Why don't you go over the issues and point out the shortcomings and encourage her to do a more thoughtful job in the future..........................
That was kind of my thought, I make mistakes too, but I don't need anyone to ***** about it. They can just tell me what it is, we'll fix it and move on.

·
Registered
967 Posts

Yesterday I got the drawings for a full washroom in the bsmt. There is to be a pocket door which slides into the wall behind the vanity :laughing: What plumbing vent?

There is an existing major heat duct running across the ceiling (which needs to be re-located) the 'designer' says just paint it. What about a ceiling? Any concerns with humidity and mildew? :laughing:

Just make the wall big enough to receive the door and the plumbing and add a bath fan.
Just because its not how you would do it doesn't mean its wrong.
Think outside the box.
Who got you the job? The same person who hired the designer? or the designer?

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Of course you are correct. I will bite my tongue. It's just this particular project is already quite complicated structuraly, and just don't need this further complication.

But, no worries, I'll deal with it. Just ranting I guess.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts

I feel for you.

I don't work with designers anymore. If a designer calls me I don't take the job, if a homeowner calls me and mentions designer I don't take the job.

I got this way slowly over time. It took a while but I finally just got to the point where I'm far ahead just saying no.

I tried it all. I tried ignoring the issues and just making things work. I tried to be the good guy and make all their issues and the resulting customers issues go away. I tried to be the eductator, to help the designer be a better designer.

Finally I just got fed up and started running them under the bus and backing it up over them a few times.

If the customer's designer turned out to be brain dead, I just dropped diplomacy and informed the customer so. I would show them what the designer was trying to do, show them how much money the designer was costing them due to being a idiot and just back that bus right over the designer and peel out and leave tire tracks on them.

I just grew tired of it and I didn't see why somebody who usually is trying to C-block you with the customer anyways should be protected by pretending being competent isn't a requirement for their job, while it's required of everybody else.

Of course we have the luxury of we offer design services and are capable of doing our own design, so we don't want them or need them and are done with the pretending them being incompetent is irrelevant like everybody politely pretending old grand pa albert didn't just rip one bad enough to peal the wall paper during Christmas dinner.

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HO is a past customer. She hired the designer. Wish she had hired an architect instead. But heh, glad to have the work.

It's just that an architect would likely draw things up properly. We have to change out the first and second floor joists in this three storey home, no specs for support or anything.

So I have to look after the things that an architect would already have done. But I'm getting paid for it right? So it's ok in the end.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
It became apparent over time that I slowly realized that even as good as that sounds, it never worked out to be reality. It was never a wash financially playing catch up for bad design and changes compared to the increase in profits from quick turn over of a well planned job and getting on to the next one.

But I understand if the designer is bringing you the jobs or you can't supply design for the customer then you either work with them or you don't work at all.

·
Eater of sins.
4,576 Posts
I guess they are artists, not plumbers or carpenters.
HEY, HEY NOW! Now your just being nasty, :laughing: I am a carpenter (or was rather).

Just yanking your chain, one of the reasons I got into being a designer (or maybe you are just referring to interior designers?) is because the plans I got from them just were not up to snuff. That and it is a lot more fun sitting in front of the computer with the kids in the next room than pounding nails on a roof cut-in.

Mike Finley? Did you ever have a experience with a designer that was worth while? Just curious, not harping.

I do make mistakes for sure but some of us can actually do what we say we can and have done the work (design) that passes city requirements without too much trouble. Architects have to go through the same crap and ain't perfect either.

Andy.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I'm really sorry to say that I have never had a good experience with a designer. I seriously see most designers as professional shoppers for customers and nothing more. What I've found even more repellent are the ones who have the disturbing quality it seems of trying to justify their cost to a customer by trying to save the customer money by tying to substitute some person they know who will get the customer that for cost, or passing something on at wholesale. I'd like to ask them point blank if they are working for cost to see what they would say. What kind of business model is that? I thought your value was design and knowledge, not shopping?

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
HEY, HEY NOW! Now your just being nasty, I am a carpenter (or was rather).

Just yanking your chain, one of the reasons I got into being a designer (or maybe you are just referring to interior designers?) is because the plans I got from them just were not up to snuff. That and it is a lot more fun sitting in front of the computer with the kids in the next room than pounding nails on a roof cut-in.
lol o.k, not a bad idea.

·
Designer/Contractor
4,805 Posts
Anytime anything is built someone is doing design work on it, even if it's with a lumber pencil on a scrap of plywood. As in every profession there are competent people and incompetent ones. It's painting with a broad brush indeed to say that all designers suck. Some do and some are top notch. The same can be said for every trade and every business.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I love designers. They make the job more complicated and I get to add on lots of extras for time spent making their designs work.

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
Assuming the HO hired you directly, I'd give the HO a detailed list of design issues with no suggestions as to how to deal with them, just ask for clarification.

Please complete plans to deal with the following issues.
1) Basement bath shows pocket door in wall that will contain Drain, Waste, and Vent Pipe as well as water piping, filling the entire stud cavity. The door will not ever open as drawn.
2) HVAC ducting exposed in bathroom will likely support condensation, leaving water drip tracks.
3) Bathroom does not meet minimum venting requirements.
4) Support for decking as old joists are removed?
5) Nailing details for existing deck to new joists.
6) Add as many issues as you can find

Reactions: katoman
1 - 16 of 16 Posts