Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm in my office doing some light paperwork. My wife is sitting in MY recliner, watching TV and just hanging out, watching me 'work'. On comes this 'Contractor' by the name of John Desilva. Apparently he has a show on TV, so now he's some friggin expert. Well this moron is telling people they can save HUGE amounts of money by buying the materials themselves, because contractors mark up materials. They can also save big bucks, when doing a bath reno, by installing things like towel bars themselves. "I charge $40 and you can do it yourself in 5 minutes, saving tons of money". What complete and utter bullchit this ******* was spewing. I wanted to reach through the TV and slap the crap out of him. It was a chick show on TV, so now every woman that's seen that show is going to heed his 'advice' and it pisses me off. I work hard enough for my money dealing with these loony women, and now THIS??? JEEZ!!!

/rant

·
Registered
667 Posts
I work hard enough for my money dealing with these loony women, and now THIS??? JEEZ!!!

/rant
So "how" do ya really feel? LOL Let them do it, then when they F#*$ it up, go back, charge double, and fix it!

That is a problem with this world today, it is called COMMON SENSE in my book, some have it some don't!

If ya don't know how, let someone else THAT KNOWS HOW, do it right!

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I have been getting email from a job place lately that has an ad for a carpenter wanted.It' s obviously not a business like the others but an ad from some woman wanting a towel bar and a shelf hung in her bathroom. $10 hr. She must have watched one of those shows.

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
So, I'm in my office doing some light paperwork. My wife is sitting in MY recliner, watching TV and just hanging out, watching me 'work'. On comes this 'Contractor' by the name of John Desilva. Apparently he has a show on TV, so now he's some friggin expert. Well this moron is telling people they can save HUGE amounts of money by buying the materials themselves, because contractors mark up materials. They can also save big bucks, when doing a bath reno, by installing things like towel bars themselves. "I charge $40 and you can do it yourself in 5 minutes, saving tons of money". What complete and utter bullchit this ******* was spewing. I wanted to reach through the TV and slap the crap out of him. It was a chick show on TV, so now every woman that's seen that show is going to heed his 'advice' and it pisses me off. I work hard enough for my money dealing with these loony women, and now THIS??? JEEZ!!!

/rant
I go with the flow, more or less.

"Of course you can do it...as long as you know how to do it...(or have the time to do it)...just make sure it's proper and secure (or whatever)..."

"Fine, and what portion would you like me to be responsible for?"

As for materials, "Of course you can, but if you mess up the order you build, everything's on you....things can get messed up fast...whatever you like, though."

"Oh, you how to do that? Ok, then you (or spouse) can do that." (That gets some of the quickest back-peddling, from what I've seen.)

·
Radical Basement Dweller
25,992 Posts
A big portion of my business relies on people buying stuff and hiring me to install it.
Towel bars, fans, lights, shelves, etc.

It's a different world today than it was 10-20 years ago. People can go on-line and find out exactly what something cost. Most people are looking to save money where they can. I don't blame them; I do too.

I guess building materials would be a different story but I don't do "construction" so it doesn't fit for me.

If someone buys something at Lowe's and pays for it but wants me to pick it up...I charge my hourly rate for driving there, waiting at customer service for the warehouse to bring it up front and the drive back. I make more money that way than I do charging an additional $2.00 for the towel bar.

I also end up many times repairing what hubby screwed up. It's a win for me.

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
I have a running joke with some repeat clients: "This is not like on those TV shows, ok :) ?" I like things to hold up for a while. Then use examples, as necessary. I don't watch much of them anymore, but bath crashers had to be one of the worst, in terms of basic methods. And what's up with sledging all the fixtures, walls, mirrors and cabinets? How dumb can you get?

·
Radical Basement Dweller
25,992 Posts
I've already said that to all my existing customers. I still say it to new customers.

"I know they did this on "Whatever Show" over a weekend for $300.00 but that's Hollywood".

·
Registered
Custom
13,207 Posts
They can also save big bucks, when doing a bath reno, by installing things like towel bars themselves. "I charge $40 and you can do it yourself in 5 minutes, saving tons of money". What complete and utter bullchit this ******* was spewing.

/rant
I agree... I woulda' charged $100... :whistling

·
Lazy Millennial
Carpenter
4,014 Posts
I'm looking for a laugh, anyone have any YouTube links to the worst of them? I don't have cable at home so I don't usually have a chance to look these guys up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Pro
2,138 Posts
PrmrHomeRmdl said:
Mike Holmes makes me laugh at any of his TV shows. All of them are worthless IMO
I'll take Tom Silva over him 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.

"Ask This Old House", still makes me cringe though, when they do the "what is it" segment.

( Besides, Mike Holmes has and earring AND a tattoo! )

image-3788058957.jpg

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
We did a couple bathrooms for a family back a few months ago. They bought and hung the shower rods. They got curved ones with a straight tub, and it was about 4" too far out. I probably wouldn't have even charged them to hang it, but I charged them $200 to fix the drywall and paint when they moved it.
I put up a curved shower curtain rod even though I have a straight tub. I'm mildly claustrophobic and it feels like way more space in there

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
I do not mark up my material but I also do not pass on the volume discount I get. I was told by contractor services many moons ago that the discount is for the contractor to buy as much as they can from them and not for the homeowner.

Kick back, maybe but I am ok with it because they would have paid full price if I had not gotten it for them.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I get one to five calls a month from "Customers" who tell me about how they used some cheapo contractor or did their floors themselves. It takes me very little time now days to politely let them know it will be *** cost to repair the problems(i.e. resand the floor), and that even though they blew their wad of money on the cheap guy, I'm not lowering my prices. (nicely saying "Your cheap/stupid problem is not my emergency, and it's going to cost you a bit more to make it right again than it would have to have me make it beautiful the first time?
I don't watch these contractor shows, but it's because I prefer the cooking shows.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts