Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are working on a 1910 home and while removing the kitchen subfloor found this (attached image) underlayment. Does anyone know exactly what this material is?
Thanks,
Neal

Attachments

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
What are we looking at? The grooved area or the small broken chunk? A sideish view would be easier

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is a square we cut out of the subfloor. you can see the plywood (subfloor) on the sides of the zoomed out picture. The other picture is just a zoomed in view of the top left hand corner. We removed a layer of linoleum. Under was the plywood subfloor, next a layer of particle board, finally this underlayment next to the original hardwood floors. I can post a side view after I stop over this morning.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, the underlayment is just one sheet... the grooved area on top is part of the same piece that you see on the torn edge.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Identifying Flooring Underlayment

We are working on a 1910 home and while removing the kitchen subfloor found this (attached image) underlayment. Does anyone know exactly what this material is? The pictures are of a square we cut out of the subfloor. You can see the plywood (subfloor) on the sides of the zoomed out picture. The other picture is just a zoomed in view of the top left hand corner. We removed a layer of linoleum. Under, was the plywood subfloor, next a layer of particle board, finally this underlayment next to the original hardwood floors. The underlayment is just one sheet... the grooved area on top is part of the same piece that you see on the torn edge.

Thanks,
Neal

Attachments

·
Registered
810 Posts
It used to be linoleum. Now it's a fossil fuel. Pretty cool time capsule. That stuff was pretty much all vegetable material before the advent of mass petroleum production.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
It used to be linoleum. Now it's a fossil fuel. Pretty cool time capsule. That stuff was pretty much all vegetable material before the advent of mass petroleum production.
I agree, it just looks like old linoleum to me - burlap and sawdust soaked in linseed oil and run under some hot rollers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts