Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting around to finishing the underside of my sheds 16'x16' overhang area. Got the soffit ceiling installed the other day and now need to cover the exposed sides of the LVL's (on interior side under the roof)

Called local yard and they had some Azek 5/8"x15 1/4" x 18' trim boards that would be the hot set up- rip,cut,install done. No seams, no paint. I'm on the verge of just ordering the 3 boards, but at $140/each my butthole is kinda puckering LOL.

So figured I'd ask for some brain storming to see if there's product you guys know about to cover the LVL's 13"x16' surface x3.

Yard also said I could order a 4x10 LP smart panel, rip/paint but I'm trying to get away from painting even though I don't think i'd ever have to repaint it given the fact it's out of the weather.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Ask for a price on 4'x18' sheet goods. 3 rips and done. We've used it in 3/8", 1/2" and 1" thicknesses.

·
Interior Remodeling
1,275 Posts
1"x12" then 1"x4" step at the top. I just did this on a porch. I'll check my pics to show how it looked.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1"x12" then 1"x4" step at the top. I just did this on a porch. I'll check my pics to show how it looked.
We've done a few like that too...mainly to break up the large flat surface and give it some pizzaz to break up just low wide and flat it was and I've considered that, and also considered ripping some backers and using standard stocked 11 1/4" stuff and then doing crown around to cover the gap as well. I put crown inside the shed (because I was lazy and didn't want to spend much time perfecting the corners with mud, so just "fire taped it" and covered it with crown...makes a nice conversation starter too since everybody is like WTF, I don't have crown molding in my house and you have it in your shed :)

I'm curious about the long sheet goods, and I'll make the call in the morning to see if they have a way to get a sheet, that'd be pretty nice to not have a joint. I could just bondo the exposed edge on the bottom to smooth it out and paint it with some white epoxy.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
You can get 18 footers?

What about smart soffit, 16" by 20'
We're using 3/8"- 4' x 18' right now. The house originally had coil fascia. We didn't want to sacrifice too much shingle overhang, so using 3/8" material.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I ended up going out today to get some MDO and was intending to really get "fancy" since I was going to have to prime and paint, was intending to do a raised panel look to break up the area, but then when I was walking to the contractor desk something caught my eye, ended up cheaping out and ordered 2 sheets of this:

http://www.menards.com/main/buildin...x-4-x-8-white-pvc-panel/p-1739266-c-13411.htm

sure i'll have a butt joint, but I wont have to paint, it wont rot (two of my big points since I don't want to mess with it later) Hopefully they'll have it in next week so I can get it ripped/hung and label that aspect done.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts