Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
1 on 2
Mason
1,345 Posts
Here's my hillybillie set up. Hangs on one rung out of the way, drop a rung and it gets "footed" by hanging on same bracket. Needless to say, this was slapped together in a hurry, to "be made sturdier soon". (Can't remember how long that was) I'll get to it...
Maybe improvise a version to accommodate your ladder thingy or just use a half of an old extention ladder like mine. Mines from the Jurassic period.

I recommend a stronger bracket of some sort, for sure.

Wood Beam Hardwood Lumber Flooring

Window Wood Beam Building Ceiling

Wood Natural material Composite material Lumber Metal

·
Administrator
Sawdust follows Me Everywhere
60,309 Posts
You'll get to it huh....

:ROFLMAO:

·
Administrator
60,309 Posts
Hey hey hey.... It is someday over here. I cleaned that mess up. Only took 4 years.

·
Registered
Unbuilder of Eyesores
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Here's my hillybillie set up. Hangs on one rung out of the way, drop a rung and it gets "footed" by hanging on same bracket. Needless to say, this was slapped together in a hurry, to "be made sturdier soon". (Can't remember how long that was) I'll get to it...
Maybe improvise a version to accommodate your ladder thingy or just use a half of an old extention ladder like mine. Mines from the Jurassic period.

I recommend a stronger bracket of some sort, for sure.

View attachment 521741
View attachment 521740
View attachment 521739
Sup with all those baskets??

·
Administrator
60,309 Posts
He's the Easter Bunny.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I would seriously consider giving up enough space to build some stairs with a landing. Even if they were not code compliant (narrow with a tall unit rise) it would be leaps and bounds safer than what you've got.

·
Registered
Unbuilder of Eyesores
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Chimney screens that got replaced with solid topped caps. Ya know, the things you save and never use.
I thought maybe they were big deep fry baskets, galvanized so they won't rust when you cook seafood.

·
Registered
Custom
14,269 Posts
Those are great units safety-wise, I'm just not ready to give up that much floor space. The mezzanine space is sorta low-value storage, and my thinking is if I can't make a near-zero footprint method of getting up there, I may as well palletize the items stored up there and invest in more racking instead.

My fault, I have edited OP to make it clear I love me some floor space.
I guess if your primary concern is giving up the floor space, while at the same time having a way to use the upper area as low-value, not-oft used storage, reclaim the floor space by making a platform that doubles as storage / equipment access... The floor ladder can simply flip up onto the platform (flat onto the platform or against a board on the wall) and flip down when needed... keeps storage area, while also giving you a way to more easily maneuver or manage unwieldy things you want to store (much easier to place on the platform climb up and and do the same on the top platform)... puts you above each platform and gives you footing, as opposed to dragging something up a ladder... makes the area into a mult-use area... just a quick drawing... but if you decide to use it, we better get some pics of the before/after... ;)(y):LOL:

Property White Product Rectangle Line

·
Registered
Unbuilder of Eyesores
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I guess if your primary concern is giving up the floor space, while at the same time having a way to use the upper area as low-value, not-oft used storage, reclaim the floor space by making a platform that doubles as storage / equipment access... The floor ladder can simply flip up onto the platform (flat onto the platform or against a board on the wall) and flip down when needed... keeps storage area, while also giving you a way to more easily maneuver or manage unwieldy things you want to store (much easier to place on the platform climb up and and do the same on the top platform)... puts you above each platform and gives you footing, as opposed to dragging something up a ladder... makes the area into a mult-use area... just a quick drawing... but if you decide to use it, we better get some pics of the before/after... ;)(y):LOL:

View attachment 521748
That's a pretty cool idea, I will seriously consider it.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
That's badass brilliant. Wish I had a use for one of those just so I could show it off.
I can’t claim the idea, just the improvement.

When you see them online, you often see two open stringers. They nest nicely, with both stringers in the same plane as the treads. Unfortunately, that necessitates the hinge being on top of the tread on the stringer furthest from the wall side.

I built it hybrid, with open stringer against the wall and closed stringer on the outside. It doesn’t nest as tightly, so I can reach the light switch that is next to the window casing. More importantly to me, all the hinges are under the treads when it’s deployed.

They work well, it feels like lifting 20(?) lbs. straight up. The 9 year old can lift and lower them safely. They pretty much stay in place, but I added the hook to ensure it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
60,309 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
It seems like the real issue is carrying things while climbing/descending a ladder or steep stairs so I would look into a way to move those items separately.

I once finished a garage with storage above. Safety was a high priority for the customer. I installed a conventional set of pull down stairs for people access and a lift to move items up and down. I used a store bought lift because it was for a customer but there are lots of homemade ones that you can find on YouTube.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts