Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Unbuilder of Eyesores
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm reorganizing the shop, and it's time to figure out something better than this ship's ladder style staircase. The only wall facet it can be permanently located is the one in the pic. Obviously it can't be in front of the office door. So it kills the whole corner.
Wood Yellow Floor Flooring Wall

The mezzanine is going to be mostly setup with shelving, stocked with vehicle consumables for doing preventative maintenance - antifreeze, brake fluid, air filters and so on. That's my current thinking anyway. I have some bulky stuff up there now but that will probably move to the pallet racking.

Anyway, do you guys/gals have any ideas about how to infrequently get someone up there to grab a couple jugs of antifreeze or whatever? With an emphasis on safety/repeatability/foolproofness. I don't really want someone alone in the shop climbing down an un-footed extension ladder over a concrete floor with a jug of antifreeze in one hand and an oil filter tucked under their armpit. That's a recipe for a broken back.

The ship's ladder is a sturdy birdie but the configuration sucks.

Thanks.

EDIT: So I guess with an emphasis also on low footprint. The warehouse ladder ideas are great but I don't want them eating up space.

·
Registered
Unbuilder of Eyesores
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Time is of the essence, if it's doable then I'll move this thing and carry on reorganizing. If I can hack this ship's ladder into something stowable, I'll put it aside. Settle down with the chainsaw Junior!

·
Registered
Unbuilder of Eyesores
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After some more research, I might fabricate my own steel folding mezzanine ladder. I'll keep this one in the connex box til I'm ready to build it.

If anyone's got a wood construction idea, I'm all ears.

·
Registered
Custom
14,343 Posts
Have you considered automatic ladders that drop down? There's folding and telescopic ones out there... would give you flexibility to put it above door if that is a more suitable upload area...

·
Registered
331 Posts
My father had one when I was growing up. He put it on a pivot. The end.

And rigged a counter spring to it so he could push it up and it stayed up. He would use the shop broom to pull it down.

Maybe you could do something like that?

Make a couple of metal brackets flat. Screw to each side of the ladder, one per rail. Put two L brackets at the top surface edge with a pivot bar. ( You can then configure a spring on this pivot) He had springs parallel to the rail with threaded rod and nuts to tension it.

But you should be able to get the idea💡

·
Registered
10,836 Posts
I would make an electric winch powered material lift and still use the ladder to get up there, I have even seen ones powered by boat winches

·
Registered
12,094 Posts
Reminds me of my old office and warehouse from a former career. That ladder will be bad news if given enough chances. If you don't have one, just get a rolling ladder (like in the HD aisles,) and use your pallet racks up top instead. Much safer.

·
Registered
Unbuilder of Eyesores
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone, great ideas. I'm going to hang on to this ladder for now, will throw it in storage while I reorganize. I can set it up over the doorway temporarily while I move things around.

Not sure what I'll do ultimately but I definitely don't want something chewing up that entire corner there.

·
Registered
Unbuilder of Eyesores
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That ladder will be bad news if given enough chances.
I fell off it once while I was alone. Fortunately I landed on the counterweight of my forklift so I didn't fall very far. Still hurt. Probably would've broken my arm or cracked my head open otherwise.

·
Administrator
Sawdust follows Me Everywhere
60,521 Posts

·
Registered
Unbuilder of Eyesores
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had my 2nd floor in the shop which I accessed by ladder for years. Made the upstairs nearly useless if I was by myself. Permanent stairs for me made a world of difference. How about one of those rolling stair units?

https://www.amazon.com/KDED115246-A...eywords=rolling+ladder&qid=1642168929&sr=8-23
Those are great units safety-wise, I'm just not ready to give up that much floor space. The mezzanine space is sorta low-value storage, and my thinking is if I can't make a near-zero footprint method of getting up there, I may as well palletize the items stored up there and invest in more racking instead.

My fault, I have edited OP to make it clear I love me some floor space.

·
Administrator
60,521 Posts
How about build a stair that has a pivot on the top so you can lift the stairs out of the way when not needed. Maybe by rope or chain or a small motor on the ceiling. That way you get both safety and out of the way.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
My treehouse

Boat winch in the corner

Piece of EMT through a rung of the aluminum ladder section

3 minutes to lift it up or let it down. I didn’t want an electric winch for fear somebody might bugger it up. You can run an impact gun on it to do it quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
GC
440 Posts
Probably could find an used electric scissor lift with a worn out battery for a reasonable price. Shouldn't matter if it stays plugged in.

·
Administrator
60,521 Posts
That folding stair is beautious.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts