Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my plan. Combination firewood bin and outside air source in the form of a large drawer in the outside wall next to the stove. With the drawer pulled to the inside, it looks like a firewood box. To load with firewood, pull the drawer to the outside of the house, load, and slide back in (no tromping in and out with armloads of firewood and snowy boots). Drawer can be opened as much as needed for combustion air (even 1/2" would be plenty). Closed the drawer would have weatherstripping to seal the opening. Plan on using sashlock hardware for security, when stove not in use. :party:

Cheers,

Bass

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Multi directional drawer slides (metal)? or would you build wood slides? I had the same idea using a closet next to the fireplace. loading only, ext door/interior door, i was planning on stocking the closet, so i was going to line it in metal to deal help deal with insect, maybe a little awning over the ext of the drawer, just to keep direct winswept rain out---Its a cool idea, GMOD

PS. drawer face obviously has to be inset, drawer face must be able to compress the weather stripping and get by..

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Got it, I was picturing it as cabinetry flanking the wood stove(creating the depth), with a drawer on the bottom that would open to the outside.> So your window seat would be out side creating the drawer depth, and the drawer face would be flush with the int of the ext wall:thumbsup:GMOD, keep us posted, i love a project of this nature.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
I could draw that if someone puckered up and went all rock star on tuba.:clap:

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got it, I was picturing it as cabinetry flanking the wood stove(creating the depth), with a drawer on the bottom that would open to the outside.> So your window seat would be out side creating the drawer depth, and the drawer face would be flush with the int of the ext wall:thumbsup:GMOD, keep us posted, i love a project of this nature.
I mislead you... the seat is a bump in, rather than a bump out. I'm thinking heavy duty guides, side mounted and maybe doubled up.

I hope I get some free time and some good weather at the same time, before winter.

Later,

Bass

1 - 9 of 9 Posts