Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Customer with 23 year old home doing a MAJOR renovation. Wants to have cellouse vacumed out of the attic and Icyene foam sprayed under the roof deck. Any thoughts, concerns, successes, failures ?

·
Sean
5,485 Posts
D. Boone - 2 links Demilic & Building Science both cover the items you need to consider for spraying in the attic
As I recall the only code approved system is Closed Cell foam which Icenyne doesn't carry. They do try to get past this with a coating that they apply to the foam after it is sprayed. The reps I talked to have failed to provide any testing sheets or code approvals for this method though. I love the reps that say you should use there system - because if there is a roof leak you will not know it - ours water comes straight down.
The last house I did used the Demilic system & it worked great. It snowed the very next day & the house stayed @ 60 without additional heat.
You will need an ERV to help eliminate humidity & indoor pollutants. Your AC & Heater should run more efficiently (Assuming your ducts are located in this area)
Cost - Closed Cell is about 2 times the price of Open Cell - some installers do what is called a Splash & Dash (2" inch spray of CC & then fill in the Cavity with OC) to help keep costs down - I went with a 2, 2" lifts & left it at that

OCRS - there is some good info, but it is old & there is allot of adversion to change in there with no knowledge to back up some of it

Confused Plumber that wants to be a Electrician ;) I assume you are talking about the coating put over Icenyne after it is applied - It is meant to reduce vapor transmission to the sheathing & to CTMA

·
the pipe master
501 Posts
I was just wondering why he would want to use Icenyne instead of Urethane. Urethane has a higher R-value doesn't it?

I'm not confused, but I would like to add an electrical license to my portfolio some day.
D. Boone - 2 links Demilic & Building Science both cover the items you need to consider for spraying in the attic
As I recall the only code approved system is Closed Cell foam which Icenyne doesn't carry. They do try to get past this with a coating that they apply to the foam after it is sprayed. The reps I talked to have failed to provide any testing sheets or code approvals for this method though. I love the reps that say you should use there system - because if there is a roof leak you will not know it - ours water comes straight down.
The last house I did used the Demilic system & it worked great. It snowed the very next day & the house stayed @ 60 without additional heat.
You will need an ERV to help eliminate humidity & indoor pollutants. Your AC & Heater should run more efficiently (Assuming your ducts are located in this area)
Cost - Closed Cell is about 2 times the price of Open Cell - some installers do what is called a Splash & Dash (2" inch spray of CC & then fill in the Cavity with OC) to help keep costs down - I went with a 2, 2" lifts & left it at that

OCRS - there is some good info, but it is old & there is allot of adversion to change in there with no knowledge to back up some of it

Confused Plumber that wants to be a Electrician ;) I assume you are talking about the coating put over Icenyne after it is applied - It is meant to reduce vapor transmission to the sheathing & to CTMA

·
Sean
5,485 Posts
I was just wondering why he would want to use Icenyne instead of Urethane. Urethane has a higher R-value doesn't it?

I'm not confused, but I would like to add an electrical license to my portfolio some day.
Confused - Urethane wasn't even mentioned in the OP post & you come up

protechplumbing said:
with why icy and urethane?
Let's try to stick to the OP's request for real life info & keep learning theories, etc... in a separate post

FYI - didn't you hear that water & electricity don't mix - I think I saw that on a propane commercial... :whistling

·
the pipe master
501 Posts
I'm not exactly sure what you were trying to say as your grammar is terrible. I mentioned urethane because it seemed like a relevant insulation. I'm simply wondering why the owner would want Icy instead of urethane. It's my understanding that urethane has a higher R-value than icy. The OP did ask for "Any thoughts, concerns, successes, failures".

What's the advantage of icy over urethane? Is it cheaper per R? I've never heard of anyone in my area using icy, only closed cell urethane.

To OP: Why does the HO want to vacuum out the cellouse? Is it absorbing water or growing mold? I don't understand?

Confused - Urethane wasn't even mentioned in the OP post & you come up

Let's try to stick to the OP's request for real life info & keep learning theories, etc... in a separate post

FYI - didn't you hear that water & electricity don't mix - I think I saw that on a propane commercial... :whistling

1 - 7 of 7 Posts