Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not posted many pictures lately, and to keep anyone from thinking I am a failed handyman, lol, here are progress pictures of an earth sheltered ICF with a Lite Deck concrete roof.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yesterday

Attachments

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any of you guys can follow me on facebook and check out all the pictures for fun.

The top picture involving the crane deserves an explanation. The span of the roof is 28 feet, 2 inches. Exactly. Now, we can go with a LiteDeck panel that will span this, but since it is a house, there was not a reason to double the cost to get there, since interior walls break the spans.

I elected to go with 13 feet, 10 inches on the panels and had a steel shop break 1/4 inch plate steel into a 6 inch wide by 14 inch high sided "channel"...that is the detail you see where we are welding the permanent support columns in place. Those are 6x6 by 1/4 inch tubes, and the beam was cut open where the columns attach to allow the columns to fill with concrete during the pour. The channel, combined with the 5 inch thick roof, gives an effective 24 inch beam running length ways down the house, and carried by columns now buried in the walls.

Back to it...the crane was there because there was no way to lift those 20 foot beams, with the 2x12 cladding I used on them before the pour, by hand. That old crane may not go on jobs a few times a year, but when you need it, you really need it.

BTW, an engineer said I over did it just a wee bit...... :laughing:

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
4620 total.

The client is 79 years old. That explains the walk in bathtub.

He has watched me build 4 underground homes and a few earth sheltered, and wanted one...so he squeezed the trigger. I did not like the design and although he was willing to spend 500k to build it, like many I run into to, would not pay $2,000 for a home designer. But it is all working out.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Cool projet.

So the panels were safe to walk on hanging from the temp ledger and the beam held up with shoring poles?

I understand that it was shored to the beejeezus by the time the pour came along

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very safe.....fun to be underneath during a pour and watching concrete literally block out the sun as we pour. LiteDeck is nearly translucent in bright sunlight.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The steel is a formed "U", and the 2x12s were bolted through the beam. This was not for strength, as much as a surface to rock to. Since the sparkies had trouble with routing wire, we added the kickers rock on the beam. Kind of made it "blend" away, visually.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Oh, interesting.

ICFs are kind of a strange subject on forums, the majority of the conversations seem to be DIY'ers who have fully bought into the idea that ICF's are some green panacea, instead of a good and labor saving forming method that does several things in one swell swoop.

This is kind of my favorite post http://www.greenbuildingtalk.com/Forums/tabid/53/aff/4/aft/84733/afv/topic/Default.aspx

Asking if bent nails were an OK method to connect a nailing sill to a W beam. Weird.

I wonder how Framing Pro and friends are doing up in Canada?
https://www.contractortalk.com/f4/23-unit-building-200026/index7/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts