Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Maybe There are a couple on here. Why did you have a question for them or just want to know who they are?

Cole

·
ICFBuilder
25 Posts
Since 1972,

We use them

What specifically do you need to know about distributors etc?

Cole,

We are located just north of Burlington(Mediapolis to be exact).

My parents live in Marion. I get up your way at least once a month to see them.

Been doing ICF's about 8 years. We also do other types of carpentry also.

·
Working
4,127 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I buy from a local distributor although I do wonder if I am getting best price sometimes.

rwtapp - I see you use Reward. Do you ever check out a couple of distributors prices for the Rewards. The distributor I use is only 10 miles from us.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
In my opinion, it is a pain to deal with "distributors" who are also the competition. That is my gripe with Reward Wall. Now, if they choose a distributor base like lumber yards, or contractor suppliers, then great.....but not with a builder that I have to bid against. I do about four times more work then the local Reward Wall distributor, and I see no reason to increase his bottom line, or give him an edge on my projects. This is a loss for Reward Wall...in my opinion.

I like to get the best possible pricing on anything I buy, but doing business with other contracts won't work out. I ended a relationship with a truss builder when he jumped into not only selling, but crewing up ICF jobs with AMVIC blocks....he wanted to sell his blocks, send his crew, and sell me trusses. Why shouldn't I just give him my contact? Kind of like the adage with banks...I don't loan money and they don't build homes. Now some can say it is just business to expend your services, but when you get in direct competition with your customers, expect fallout.

·
ICFBuilder
25 Posts
We use Reward and like them. We buy direct.

We have used others and decided to stick with Reward.

As far as blocks go they are all using the same materials foam and ties.
Most sub out the actual manufacture of the blocks. I know of one place that produces blocks for 3 different block companies. So it comes down to who converts the material for the best price and quality.

I would stay with blocks that are 2 1/2" thick on the sidewalls.

Shipping for us is around $750 per truckload. Wish they were closer.

Right now we are checking out Greenblock.
Anyone have any input on them?

·
Working
4,127 Posts
I would check out fox blocks I had much better luck with those. It was a small project but was better than the lite form I used on a big project this summer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts