Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
He's probably one of those guys that makes enough money between Halloween and just before Christmas to spend the rest of the year drumming up business for next season.

Either that, or he's completely clueless as to why his phone isn't ringing at all now.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I know that in some bigger cities that those guys make a killing. Especially if they deal with the light shows and sounds. I saw a show where people spend 10s of thousands on decorations.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
I know that in some bigger cities that those guys make a killing. Especially if they deal with the light shows and sounds. I saw a show where people spend 10s of thousands on decorations.
not just bigger cities. Around here they charge unreal amounts to install the lights and what ever system they use to attach them. then they charge loads to take them down. Then again the year after. I think it was $1500 for the first install of 3 sets of lights on my mates house. Took them less than an hr from what he said. He also had to supply lights. he was waiting weeks for them to get to him as they were so booked too.

·
The Dude
2,029 Posts
We were doing an interior paint job a couple of years ago close to the holidays, and the homeowner had the christmas decorators out. They weren't making a killing - it was a slaying. We figured they profited as much as we did - but were in and out in a day instead of four.

Maybe that's a good winter gig for me when the holiday slowdown hits! :D

·
Registered
400 Posts
And usually they just tear them down and toss them after the holidays.:censored: Oh well, the crew at the local dump gather all that wiring and cash it in.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
I bet he books a lot of other work for the remainder of the year while he is hanging Christmas lights. He probably gets work running conduit pipe out to trees and fences for the following season after he explains to his clients that they can save some time money and the effort of using extension cords.

We have this spot in my area called "The Christmas Store" that is open year round. You would think that it was seasonal but it seems like people are always in there for something.. even if it's to start preparing for November. After all, the season is only 7 months away.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Kind of brilliant from an advertising perspective. We're talking about him...
I'm sure the truck gets a few laughs during the summer, but probably some rich HO's and store front business owners are laughing too.
Come December who are they going to think to call? The guy who is so established he wears 'Christmas lights ads' on his truck 365. "He must be good."

They make serious dough on the commercial side of x-mas decorating.
He's probably going fishing while we are all grinding it out today.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A lot of the wealthier areas in Dallas are a gold mine for installers. There are countless incredible displays of Xmas lights in these neighborhoods. They'll run the lights on every single branch of a tree. I've seen 12 man crews working on these projects.

On the flip side, my landscape sub decided to jump on that money train one year. He regretted ever trying it. He was constantly even on Xmas, getting calls to come fix bulbs and strings that went out on the inevitably cheap lights. That was the one and only year he did it.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
He was constantly even on Xmas, getting calls to come fix bulbs and strings that went out on the inevitably cheap lights. That was the one and only year he did it.
That's probably why you need to charge $100 per string. When you do that one of two things will happen. Either (A) the HO will be determined to protect his investment and not let anything go wrong with the lights or (B) you'll make enough money to justify the callback.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
tedanderson said:
That's probably why you need to charge $100 per string. When you do that one of two things will happen. Either (A) the HO will be determined to protect his investment and not let anything go wrong with the lights or (B) you'll make enough money to justify the callback.
lol, I think charging more would only make the HO call faster if something happened.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
I am willing to bet he is far busier than we expect. Like others have said he is probably removing old lights now, doing prep for next winters lights, doing maintenance on existing lights, etc. I am willing to bet he also does low voltage exterior lighting and possible landscaping too. Who knows, he may have some painters and vinyl siding guys subbing under him for jobs he picks up and sells when doing the lights.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts