Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who wears there safety glasses all the time hear?

I had an incident today, where i wish i wasn't such a stuborn fool.

Putting some forms together. Nailing on a strong-back, start the nail, take the big swing, miss and clip the side of the nail causing the nail to deflect straight up into my eye, causing a lot of grief for me afterward.

After i got hit, i thought i closed my eye in time, but when i opened my eye back up and wipe away a tear in my eye, and to see that it was blood, i got concerned.

A trip down to the ER and after a lot of testing, i was lucky as hell, it was only a bruise of my eye. Blurred vision for the next few weeks is normal and it will get better, thankfully.

Now i own a nice set of safety glasses for all kinds of situations, and they sit in the back of truck. Most importantly i'll be caring a pair with me at all times now.

I barely see people wear safety glasses, not to say that i "Don't" see people wearing there safety glasses, because I do. Do you guys wear safety glasses all the time? Whats the deal here, did a tide just change and i never noticed?

-Bill

Attachments

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
Glad you're OK.I have been thinking about this lately.I don't wear them as often as I should.And respirators too.I think you may have convinced me to start.

·
Banned
846 Posts
I wear prescription glasses all the time, when I feel I need more protection I have goggles and faceshields. Prescription safety glasses are really heavy.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I wear sunglasses 90% of the time, not to protect my eyes but cause the sun light wreaks havoc on my eyes.
could have been alot worse...
I work residential and saw guards wedged back, no safety glasses, no hard hats is common practice here. Its the way I learned and I still do it for some stupid reason. had a close call with a saw not long ago which could have taken a digit, luckily my fingers still on my hand.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Wow! glad you are ok BK! I wear prescription glasses all the time, they are to little to really protect me from anything, I have just been lucky. I do have a pair of goggles and a face sheild in the truck for those crazy cuts or something, but as Shane said they are drunk vision:laughing:

Dave

·
Where's my coffee?
92 Posts
Wow, that was a close one! Glad you are okay.

I wear prescription safety glasses all the time cause I am naturally blind as a bat. Now if I could just hear...:whistling

Dave

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
I wear them all the time. I wear Nemesis shades as sunglasses after work. When shades are to dark I wear the clears while working.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I wear safety glasses on every job. After seeing my father go though a 2 year struggle with
Losing his eyesight in one eye. After 35 years as a mason never wearing safety glasses, he was
at home chipping some bricks out for a dryer vent. When a piece shot back dead center in one eye.
Now he was blessed with a donors cornea , now he got back about 60% of his vision back.
Now that's the first thing I look for before I start any job.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,728 Posts
I wear them when I need to wear them and sometimes when I don't. When I am in the shop using power tools, they are on. When I am gluing up, maybe not. Sometimes I just forget that I have them on and go out and notice minutes later that I have them on. You gotta get glasses that fit well, protect well and feel like they aren't there.

·
Crash Test Dummy
2,210 Posts
I always wear safety glasses. I always wear hearing protection.

I don't want anything to interfere with my ability to hear good music or ogle the ladies.

For glasses, I wear the yellow lenses. They're great in light and shade. Even at night.

·
Banned
356 Posts
Who wears there safety glasses all the time hear?

I had an incident today, where i wish i wasn't such a stuborn fool.

Putting some forms together. Nailing on a strong-back, start the nail, take the big swing, miss and clip the side of the nail causing the nail to deflect straight up into my eye, causing a lot of grief for me afterward.

After i got hit, i thought i closed my eye in time, but when i opened my eye back up and wipe away a tear in my eye, and to see that it was blood, i got concerned.

A trip down to the ER and after a lot of testing, i was lucky as hell, it was only a bruise of my eye. Blurred vision for the next few weeks is normal and it will get better, thankfully.

Now i own a nice set of safety glasses for all kinds of situations, and they sit in the back of truck. Most importantly i'll be caring a pair with me at all times now.

I barely see people wear safety glasses, not to say that i "Don't" see people wearing there safety glasses, because I do. Do you guys wear safety glasses all the time? Whats the deal here, did a tide just change and i never noticed?

-Bill
Better late than never! Glad you just learned a lesson,(The Hard Way)
I wear cheaters 1.00 to read the tape and mark my cuts on the saw and read instructions then switch to my dewalt safety goggles.

My Sun glasses are also safety glasses so If I'm working/cutting outside I used the cheaters inside and switched to the sun goggles on the way out. I wear Respirators and Ear Muffs too I look like marvin the martian when I'm on the grinder.

If Im using a wet saw with an overhead blade like the MK470 or Husky 7 overhead I wear goggles ear muffs and a black ruberized butchers apron and neoprene rubber gloves. Those 2 are messy & noisy. I like my HUSKY 7 tablesaw tile cutter its still messy but quiet.

WEAR YOUR GOGGLES EVEN TO READ!!!!!

Give a fellow worker a switch and tell him to whack you with it every time he sees you not using your safety goggles when you should... THINK WITH YOUR DIPSTICK...JIMMY!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nel4qVTOgg
MZ

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I have 3-4 pairs between shop, truck, and toolboxes but I dont wear them as often as i should. When using the table saw, router, grinder, etc. i make a point to put them on but not with some other tools.

I am the A-hole that gets the piece of plastic coallation from Hitachi/PC gun racks in my eyes and cant see for 15 minutes while they water as i did it out. Cursing not having them on the whole time.

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
After suffering with a scratched eye last fall ive been trying to wear em anytime i make a cut. The famous i can squint and be alright has bite me to many times. Sucks though was cutting rafters all day last week, was cleaning up went to wipe some sweat off my brow and chunk of sawdust fell off my shirt or hat or something got in my eye and bugged the living hell out of me for half the night. Sucks to wear the damn things all day then cleanup time you take em off the wheels fall off. :laughing:

·
Super Moderator
10,711 Posts
About two years ago I started buying them in bulk and requiring my guys to wear them. I bought the cool looking ones and found that many of the guys would wear the tinted ones even off duty. Then things got slow and with work being off and on, things have gotten lax and now we aren't wearing them as we should. I have been thinking about this for the last couple weeks, and now I am convinced that we must start wearing them ALL THE TIME!

I am going to order some now and start wearing them again Monday. Safety Glasses USA has a nice website with good prices.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys, good to hear that a few of you will be back on the safety bandwagon. I know i'll be there with my safety glasses and a case of beer.

I'm finding out that i wear the tinted safety glasses as regular sunglasses to when im driving. There very comfortable and don't look to bad either.

It should be a fun week, i just went out and bought a "Anti-Fog" spray for my glasses, cause i hate having to always wipe your glasses every 2 minutes.

-Bill

1 - 20 of 30 Posts