Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
Yeah, the contracts are REAL ugly. I personally know a guy that was doing concrete work at an Air Force base, ran behind schedule for whatever reason, and due to contract stipulations (XX dollars for every day past the finish date), was fined a HUGE amount, and literally went bankrupt from that one job.

On the flip side, they pay on time, and have very deep pockets. I know of a couple guys that do nothing but Gov work, and once a month, there is a big celebration at their office. They say "Today is the day the Eagle $hits".

·
Registered
19 Posts
gsmb,

We do some work for local gov't agencies: county redevelopment authority and township block grant program. These programs offer loans and/or grants to homeowners and business owners for improvements.

The way it works at these agencies is you apply to get on the bid list. Fairly easy: just provide business license, insurance documents, references of completed jobs.
If accepted you will recieve bids periodically. The bids are usually sent out to only 2 or 3 contractors, all pre-qualified, so low bid gets the job.

We bid these jobs exactly as we would any other job, so the profit is equal to what we normally would earn.

Hope this helps. It is a good place to start.

I too would be interested in doing other gov't work, so I look forward to more info.

john

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
O'l#2 works with the gov't frequently. Im sure that the co. that she works for wouldn't pursue the business if it were not making money. As said previously, the paperwork is phenominal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
GSMB Inc. said:
Does anyone do Government work? Good Profit? A lot of requirements? :eek:

I bid some Federal goverment work as a general. Had trouble with the insurance requirement. The people I bid against came in with some really low numbers they must have figured on a lot of extras.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jgbrog said:
gsmb,

We do some work for local gov't agencies: county redevelopment authority and township block grant program. These programs offer loans and/or grants to homeowners and business owners for improvements.

The way it works at these agencies is you apply to get on the bid list. Fairly easy: just provide business license, insurance documents, references of completed jobs.
If accepted you will recieve bids periodically. The bids are usually sent out to only 2 or 3 contractors, all pre-qualified, so low bid gets the job.

We bid these jobs exactly as we would any other job, so the profit is equal to what we normally would earn.

Hope this helps. It is a good place to start.

I too would be interested in doing other gov't work, so I look forward to more info.

john
How much do you charge an hour for plumbing, electrical, carpentry, concrete work, finish carpentry, painting? Can you give me examples? I don’t have insurances at this time but, witch insurances do they require (government)?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts