Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Counter top fabricator (solid surface)
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here’s the thought. I fabricate solid surface countertops I have a lot of leftover Dekton 1/4” thick material. I would like to do my interior stairs, tread and riser as one piece joined on a 45.
So far I have preped the structure of the stair case to stop deflection and sheathed the tread with 2 layers (3/4” each) screwed on 4” 7 ply plywood. And caped the riser with 12 ply 3/4 plywood. What adhesion should I use and how thick will it be after setting so I can account that in to my measurements. Should I leave small gap filled with color matched silicone for expansion on each step or just top and bottom of the stairs? I’ve never seen or done this type of application and seek the advice of flooring experts thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no nosings?
won't solid surface be slippery?
It’s dekton doomos a texture finish, applications of this product range from countertops flooring and all the way to exterior wall cladding even pool coping . As for the nosing it will be tread and riser glued in shop on a 45 and shaped to a small pencil edge.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,592 Posts
No experience with that material. But my go to glue on stair caps is bona 851.

On second thought, would your material be classified as plastic? If so, the bona won't adhear to it. Maybe silicone like you'd use to secure countertops to cabinets?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you capping existing stairs or building new?
It was existing stairs. I stripped them down to the stringers reinforced them with plywood ( kinda like the idea of an LVL) put sub walls up underneath to help deflection of the stringers then finished off as said above in original comment.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

On second thought, would your material be classified as plastic? If so, the bona won't adhear to it. Maybe silicone like you'd use to secure countertops to cabinets?
It’s basically expensive porsaline come in slab format and cut to size just like quartz or granit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

It’s basically expensive porcelain comes in slab format and cut to size like quartz and granit. I would try PL before silicone but want to know more about the adhesives in the flooring industry.

·
Design Build
5,780 Posts
What's your trade?
We have had a rash of DIY enthusiasts join here (a site for contractors).... whose first post is asking professionals for free advice. Is that you?
It's like asking a mechanic for his advice, then doing the repair yourself.....taking his experience without any compensation....not cool.
The men and women on here make a living doing their tradecraft.

If you are a real contractor.....add that info to your profile and people like me won't bust your chops.

There is a DIY site where other DIY people share their thoughts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am countertop fabricator
What's your trade?
We have had a rash of DIY enthusiasts join here (a site for contractors).... whose first post is asking professionals for free advice. Is that you?
It's like asking a mechanic for his advice, then doing the repair yourself.....taking his experience without any compensation....not cool.
The men and women on here make a living doing their tradecraft.

If you are a real contractor.....add that info to your profile and people like me won't bust your chops.

There is a DIY site where other DIY people share their thoughts.
[/QUOTE
Is this the general consensus on this group or your opinion? Knowledge is just important as getting paid on a job. I thought the idea behind these types of forums is asking question and sharing ideas which In turn leads to discussion that others may find helpful in their respective fields. The construction/ renovation industry improves every year because of tradesmen sharing their expertise asking and responding to questions of DIY and tradesmen alike. The point is not who is asking the question, it’s the answers that come from the question that some times ask us to question our own methods and improve on they way we would proceed on the next job. A perfect example of this literally just happens 2 replies above where some one was just introduced to a product that is gaining huge popularity in the solid surface trade. Chances are that person is googling dekton and maybe some time in the future will be discussing with a client about using it. Also where I come from contractors aren’t even returning calls because they simply can’t take on any more work, the hardware stores are back ordered on just about every thing and even in my trade (countertops) we are struggling to keep up. We are running 11,000 Sqft of countertops a week (about 45 kitchens a day) between two fab shops. I think we can go ahead and help out a DIY with a simple answer to a question on the internet.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,592 Posts
It’s basically expensive porcelain comes in slab format and cut to size like quartz and granit. I would try PL before silicone but want to know more about the adhesives in the flooring industry.

Then I'd go with the bona 851. It's elastomeric unlike the pl premium. It will allow for expansion contraction of the substrate. The bona is one of the go to adhesives in the flooring industry. On a recent job, the homeowner changed their mind after I'd put down my starting course of engineered flooring. It was on concrete. I absolutely destroyed the planks I had to remove getting them up. I've never had a floor adhesive hold as well as the Bona 851

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’m really interested to see what this will look like. I’m not a fan of tile on stairs because I feel it gets busy but this would be a much cleaner look.
Make sure you update us with some pictures
Yeah the idea is to make the stairs look like one solid piece. To do that I would have to butt the riser directly on the tread below but I’m poking around for ideas on adhesives that will help absorb any deflection and expansion/ contraction of the substrate. If need be I will leave a 1/8 gap and fill with black caulk. Bare with me on the time frame though as most of you know it’s our own projects that always takes the back seat.

·
Registered
532 Posts
You have added 2 layers of 3/4” ply to the treads? And then the 1/4” SS material? Thats very overbuilt, and it sounds like your first step will be and inch too high, and the top step will be an inch too short.

·
Design Build
5,780 Posts
Well, welcome to CT. I apologize for being a bit blunt.

Like 1/2 fast Eddie says: if you are skinning (adding to) the existing stairs, you will be making the bottom step too tall and the top step may become a trip hazard. Now, if you were raising the lower floor (tile or wood) that matches the height that your step skins are adding, then you'd not be changing the initial rise for that bottom step. Codes vary. ICC says:

R311.7.5.1 Risers.
The riser height shall be not more than 73/4 inches (196 mm). The riser shall be measured vertically between leading edges of the adjacent treads. The greatest riser height within any flight of stairs shall not exceed the smallest by more than 3/8 inch (9.5 mm). Risers shall be vertical or sloped from the underside of the nosing of the tread above at an angle not more than 30 degrees (0.51 rad) from the vertical. At open risers, openings located more than 30 inches (762 mm), as measured vertically, to the floor or grade below shall not permit the passage of a 4-inch-diameter (102 mm) sphere.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, welcome to CT. I apologize for being a bit blunt.

Like 1/2 fast Eddie says: if you are skinning (adding to) the existing stairs, you will be making the bottom step too tall and the top step may become a trip hazard. Now, if you were raising the lower floor (tile or wood) that matches the height that your step skins are adding, then you'd not be changing the initial rise for that bottom step. Codes vary. ICC says:

R311.7.5.1 Risers.
The riser height shall be not more than 73/4 inches (196 mm). The riser shall be measured vertically between leading edges of the adjacent treads. The greatest riser height within any flight of stairs shall not exceed the smallest by more than 3/8 inch (9.5 mm). Risers shall be vertical or sloped from the underside of the nosing of the tread above at an angle not more than 30 degrees (0.51 rad) from the vertical. At open risers, openings located more than 30 inches (762 mm), as measured vertically, to the floor or grade below shall not permit the passage of a 4-inch-diameter (102 mm) sphere.
Thanks No hard feelings i get it that’s why I plan on searching some countertop forms and helping out when I can. The old treads were 2x8 with 1/2” pine board glued down my new assembly will come up only 1/4 shorter before adhesive. It’s basically the same stringer template that was there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone else smell bull? Someone that "fabricates countertops" and can't spell "granite"

"I'll believe that when me 💩 turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbert"

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Does anyone else smell bull? Someone that "fabricates countertops" and can't spell "granite
Yea I spelled granite without the E so.... i am full of bull and I don’t seek advice of others that specialize in flooring domaine? By the way there are a lot of words that are the same word spelled differently between Canada and US. Ex: color/colour, Granite/ Granit. Here’s a link that may be of some assistance to your level of IQ. Top 12 Websites For Children With Learning Disabilities | Special Education Degrees

1 - 20 of 23 Posts