Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what exactly is going on here .i take it the frost is appearing do to air movement . what i suspect is the window frame/flange is allowing air to pass . this would seem to be a reason for cauking between building paper and framing and again between window flange and building paper .
as for tyvek tape ,i would prefer at least 4" around window due to leaks i have seen in the lower corners of windows when doing repairs . problem with what i would like is that in remodels or window replacement i just do not get that much space to work with . the tyvek tape doesn't seem to be sticking well ,doesn't seal around additional fastners going through it .it will not seal well over fastners heads on the flange due to it's stiff nature .
not so much concerned about the head flashing being on top of building paper due to the eves -though seriously it is not doing much .
am i missing anything else .
this is real world situation , worth asking for more insight .

·
Super Moderator
10,553 Posts
Bottom of windows were taped which is a no no. Any moisture must be allowed to escape there. Sill gets taped prior to window install, but never after. Also think there was not an adequate gap for insulation around the framing.

·
90%-er
1,339 Posts
Bottom of windows were taped which is a no no. Any moisture must be allowed to escape there. Sill gets taped prior to window install, but never after. Also think there was not an adequate gap for insulation around the framing.
Seriously? Man if that's true then I think I've been phucking up window installs for a long time.

I always put flashing tape around the rough opening, folded over and overlapping onto the tyvek, then caulk the window flange, install, then tape over the flange all around the window.

Have I been screwing people over accidentally?

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Taping the bottoms is considered an acceptable practice per AAMA installation methods.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,092 Posts
I'm not convinced those windows have nailing flanges. The tape is hiding the situation. Or if they do, the tape has peeled away, like it was already doing in one of those pics on top of window.

Watching a house flip (no permits) next to ours, that's going to be their problem with the second floor windows. No flanges, and taped up like they were. Perhaps I should have called the county, but I held back.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I'm not seeing any pics, if there are any.

If the windows were installed using spray foam or caulking and no fiberglass insulation, as per 2012 Energy Act, there will be no frost coming in.

There is always a possibility of extreme humidity in the house??

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Ok. Saw the next post, with pictures.

There is a gap in the foam. Air is getting through.

Technically, regarding the frost only, the tape on the outside doesn't even matter. The tape is for water sealing. Not air sealing. The frost is from air entering the space.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Seriously? Man if that's true then I think I've been phucking up window installs for a long time.

I always put flashing tape around the rough opening, folded over and overlapping onto the tyvek, then caulk the window flange, install, then tape over the flange all around the window.

Have I been screwing people over accidentally?
Same. Flash the rough opening, install window with caulking, then flashing tape, drip cap, and tape it all to the tyvek. Water stays on top of the window, and of water gets behind the tyvek then it gets kicked back out.

It's how I was trained and how every inspector I've know wanted it.

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ok. Saw the next post, with pictures.

There is a gap in the foam. Air is getting through.

Technically, regarding the frost only, the tape on the outside doesn't even matter. The tape is for water sealing. Not air sealing. The frost is from air entering the space.
I wonder they caulked, spray foamed or insulated just along the inside edge of the window jamb/framing, and left a void toward the outside? Also want to check the humidity levels inside the house. Malfunctioning or power humidifier not set correctly?

Put me down as one who doesn’t think this is a taping issue.

·
Sean
5,497 Posts
Not a taping issue for the frost part but flashing is highly suspect / potential problem area - with that cold air is concentrated in that spot which looks like it could easily be solved with some caulking, better sealing with foam, etc... or then again those could be some really crappy windows

·
Registered
Remodel
28,071 Posts
Those cold corners could be as simple as little room for insulation. I'd also suspect air infiltration.

·
Registered
11,846 Posts
A foam gun with a very thin tube may do the trick.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts